Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

What coolant is the right coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What coolant is the right coolant

Honda advises only using genuine honda coolant. The manual also mentions that it should be a nonsilicate coolant. Does anyone have any experience with the consequences (if there acutally are any) of using a non-honda coolant? Prestone's ingredients list includes silicates, so it is out. There are other formulas that are based upin a GM formula, and the label specifically state that they are compatable with cooling systems that call for non-silicate coolants. What has me confused is that they are orange in color, and it was always my understanding that you should not mix coolants of different colors. Is that bad info, or what is the story?
Old 07-12-2003, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What coolant is the right coolant (MVG)

Honda claims using non-honda or coolant containing silicates could cause corrosion throughout the cooling system. It spooked me enough to use only Honda stuff. Plus I like it because it is pre-mixed, just easier.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What coolant is the right coolant (MVG)

The GM coolant is called DexCool its an organic acid base and CANNOT be mixed with anything else. Search the web, or for threads here I did a few on the problems with DexCool. It slowly swells certain silicon elastomers, and without silicates in it will dissolve some brass. Its a looser in my book, it also turns to brown sludge if air gets into the sytem on a regular basis.

I would not put Prestone in my....... ah toilet anymore. They upped the silicates to stratospheric levels and now it sometimes has problems with silicate dropout.

I now use a product called FLEET CHARGE it is for the class 8 size trucks. I use it in all my GM light trucks, my Ford Backhoe, a Yanmar Diesel Mower, a Kamatsu trackhoe and a Case dozer. I love the stuff. It can be used as a sealed for life system with yearly additive level. I have been using this stuff for only a year now. Tested all the vehicles after a year, and only the trackhoe and dozer needed a little additive. It is a low silicate high phosphate, nitrite stabilized formula........ its also red. Great stuff.............. about 7 bucks a gallon this year.

To be safe.........use the honda coolant in your honda........ or roll your own.

Oh yea.... use distilled water no matter what if you have to dilute.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What coolant is the right coolant (BigMoose)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigMoose &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I now use a product called FLEET CHARGE it is for the class 8 size trucks. I use it in all my GM light trucks, my Ford Backhoe, a Yanmar Diesel Mower, a Kamatsu trackhoe and a Case dozer. I love the stuff. It can be used as a sealed for life system with yearly additive level. I have been using this stuff for only a year now. Tested all the vehicles after a year, and only the trackhoe and dozer needed a little additive. It is a low silicate high phosphate, nitrite stabilized formula........ its also red. Great stuff.............. about 7 bucks a gallon this year.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Definetly stay away from the DEX-Cool coolants. It will only cause you headaches on your engine.

Of course Honda coolant is the 100% sure fire correct coolant to use, but at $13.00 per gallon of pre-mixed. Come on now, that is alittle pricey especially if you drain the cooling system alot to work on the engine.

Like Big Moose said the Fleet Charge coolant works well, I use a similar coolant called Rotella ELC extended life coolant. It is also a low silicate high phosphate, nitrite stabilized formula, colored red. Works great and is much cheaper than the oem Honda coolant. I get my cooant addatives from work....it is nice to have access to mid and heavy class diesel engines

Coolant geared for Diesel engines but it will work for a Honda just as well. The white bottle is what you want, it can be bought at WalMart even. Diesel engines (especially wet sleeve) need coolant to prevent cavitation as well as sustain long change intervals.