Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

What is the best gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best gas

hey u guys.. wuts the best pump gas u can have? i heard cheveron was the cleanest burning, so does that mean there will be less carbon build up in your combustion chamber? if this is so, is the best pump gas 91 Cheveron then?

wut kinda pump gas do you guys use (for the people who dont mix their fuel)
Old 01-27-2004, 11:05 AM

Default Re: What is the best gas (SyDuck)

jp-8 or jp-4
Old 01-27-2004, 11:32 AM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What is the best gas (B18C2_sedan)

It's all politics and marketing... Gasoline, for the most part are going to be simular. Except ARCO, they mix filler chemicals, that why is so cheap.

I used 92 octane safeway brand with 3 cents off per gallon.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the best gas (976)

oO ty ty
Old 01-27-2004, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i always used to use shell but then i switched to citgo.

the shell gas was always a bit more expensive than citgo.

also the shell gas seemed to make my engine run sloppier... have no idea why but thats just that! always premium!

Modified by 300zGuy at 12:37 AM 1/28/2004
Old 01-27-2004, 11:29 PM

I have found that 76 gas runs best in my CRX
Old 01-28-2004, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my high school auto shop, we took two identical engines and ran one with nothing but Amoco Ultimate, and one with nothing but Chevron with Techron. The two engines were kept in identical conditions and run for equal periods of time. When we tore them down at the end of the semester There was carbon buildup in the engine that ran Chevron. The engine that ran Amoco looked virtually brand new. I have used Amoco almost exclusively since we did that.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kendall)

i have no idea wut the hell amoco is... i live in southern cal...

recently, ive been using 76 91 octane or Shell 91...

btw... what fuel injector/combustion chamber additive u guys think works the best... the guy at Autozone said LUCAS works the best... wut do u guys think
Old 01-28-2004, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont know about whats the best but....theres gas stations around here called Conoco, its the shittiest gas ever. Makes my engine nearly die at idle and pings like crazy.

Chevron, Shell, and 76 are good

Old 01-29-2004, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SC0TT)

bump
Old 01-29-2004, 09:31 AM

i always get 93 octane from mobile(bp) i have kwik trip around here in wisconsin and i can actually feel my car being slower with that fuel and cennex too and speedway. dont really go to shell cause it always seems a little pricey but i would suggest mobile i wish i knew what the different companies put in there fuel.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:33 AM

Default Re: (Red D Dragon)

I've heard the Phillips 66 gas is best, qt second and shell the worst. That's just my grandpa keeping close tabs on gas mileage commuting to work.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Brett)

Okay, imma straighten a few myths out from you guys.

These are FACTS-not some bullshit... but you wont here the gas companies talk about this because they try to market their gas as being better then brand X.

Okay lets lay out the senario for you, lets take two companies, Cheveron and Mobil. Lets say that in southern california cheveron owns 2 refineries (ive personally visted the one in carson) and has 0 refineries in northern california. Mobil on the other hand has 2 refineries in northern california and 0 in southern california. YET, you see mobil and cheveron in both northern and southern california. They swap. ALL gas station companies swap to keep transportation costs down.

Basicly you are buying from just the refinery that is closest to you.

BUT there IS a difference. The companies do add their own additives. Cheveron has TECHRON, ARCO has CLEANTECH, 76 has PROPOWER, Texco has SYSTEM3, etc etc etc

So really, dont swear by a certian gasoline, swear by their additives.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (irev210)

You are right. My cousin owns a gas station and he had a 76. But you can also have a side company to supply you with gas. Look at the trucks that bring gas to the station if it has 76 on it then your ok, if it has no name or some think like Jet gas or Star gas then they are getting some **** from the side guys.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (ITAcelica)

There is no benefit to running higher octane than your engine needs. If your ignition timing is advanced, compression is high, or you're FI or something, then yeah, use the higher octane. But otherwise just know that higher octane means harder to burn. Bolt ons do not warrant high octane.

I use 76/Circle K cuz it is the ONLY gas in california that uses ethanol instead of MTBE. MTBE sucks ***. I don't know if this applies to Hondas, but my friend suspected MTBE to be what ate away the copper on the electric connection to the fuel pump on his Jeep.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:20 PM

Default Re: (shaundrake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shaundrake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but my friend suspected MTBE to be what ate away the copper on the electric connection to the fuel pump on his Jeep.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah the mtbe in the gas ate away the electric wire, but it didnt catch fire and burn him alive?
Old 01-29-2004, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (shaundrake)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shaundrake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I use 76/Circle K cuz it is the ONLY gas in california that uses ethanol instead of MTBE. MTBE sucks ***. I don't know if this applies to Hondas, but my friend suspected MTBE to be what ate away the copper on the electric connection to the fuel pump on his Jeep.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just to correct you, all gas stations use ethanol now, they ALL switched from MBTE, and MBTE is actually better then ethanol, just that it causes canser. MBTE is an oxgenator not a copper eater. The sad part is Ethanol actually polutes the enviroment MORE then if we didnt use it, but we have to do something to help the corn growers *shrug*

Please reasearch before spreading BS.

Also, about the no-name gas trucks or the brand name gas trucks, doesnt mean that its comming from that companies refinery. But if you buy 76 gas, it is supposed to have that additive ProPower, etc etc.

Old 01-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the best gas (B18C2_sedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C2_sedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">jp-8 or jp-4 </TD></TR></TABLE>

mmmm mmmmmm jet fuel does the automotive engine good

what about jp-5 good stuff for a turbine ship why not try it in a car
Old 01-29-2004, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sunoco 94, but when I need just a little more giddy-up I swing by 76 and get some 100. Well where I live in Ohio, I don't know about the other states.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:49 PM
Trial User

Fuel is only a personal preference. mostly all gases are the same, but i would not go to those small cheap gas stations (dunno what they would do to make a little extra cash). but there isnt a best gas. everyone chooses there own by word of mouth, or wen they try something new its just all in the mind thinkin its better.

But you dont need 91 octane on MOST stock motors. octane is a chemical that reduces the chance of detonation, so if your not pushing a lot of power you dont have a huge chance of creating denonation anyways.

but yeea hope i help a biut.
but if people beg to diff, go rite ahead
Old 01-29-2004, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the best gas (WS6Dreams)

esso
Old 01-30-2004, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the best gas (Darryl Musashi)

i just tried 89 octane today and my car runs better than on 93 octane
gotta love it
Old 01-30-2004, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by irev210 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just to correct you, all gas stations use ethanol now, they ALL switched from MBTE, and MBTE is actually better then ethanol, just that it causes canser.

Please reasearch before spreading BS.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

from the chevron website: "Chevron uses primarily MTBE in California..."
http://www.chevron.com/prodser...shtml
Old 01-30-2004, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ejprimo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ejprimo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

from the chevron website: "Chevron uses primarily MTBE in California..."
http://www.chevron.com/prodser...shtml</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would say alot of really mean things, but im going to be nice and just say your dumb.

I obviously know ALOT about this subject.

but, here you go

The new rules, known officially as the Phase 3 gasoline regulation, prohibit the formulation of gasoline with MTBE after December 31, 2002.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/nr120999.htm

Now, think whatever you want.

Im just explaining how it is...

MBTE also does a bunch of other **** that is bad for the enviroment, but is great for oxygenating gas

ethanol is just crap
Old 01-30-2004, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by irev210 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would say alot of really mean things, but im going to be nice and just say your dumb.

I obviously know ALOT about this subject.

but, here you go

The new rules, known officially as the Phase 3 gasoline regulation, prohibit the formulation of gasoline with MTBE after December 31, 2002.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/newsrel/nr120999.htm
</TD></TR></TABLE>

well looks you havent been updated: "California Governor Gray Davis (D.) has delayed for one year the state's deadline for banning the fuel additive methyl tert-butyl ether (MTBE). The decision to postpone the ban until January 1, 2004 ....."
http://www.findarticles.com/cf...jhtml

"Service stations will have 90 days to sell any MTBE gasoline in their storage tanks."
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/m...9.htm

Quick Reply: What is the best gas