Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Warped Block?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warped Block?

Motor is a GSR. I bent a couple of valves thanks to a missed shift at the track. I decided to replace the whole head, instead of going for a valve job which will give me undesireable down time. The new head was milled for straightness, and an oem gasket (2 layers) was installed. Everything was torqued down to oem specs.

Cylinder 1 had a coolant and oil leak. I took off the exhaust manifold and saw that all the other cylinders were fine(carbon deposits on the exhaust ports), but cylinder 1 had sludge on the exhaust port. I also checked for bubbles in the radiator coolant while idling, and they were present. I rev up the motor, and coolant gushed out from the uncapped radiator....so it definitely was a bad head gasket seal.

I pulled out the head once again and threw in a 3 layer OEM gasket, and replaced oil and coolant. Torqued everything down to spec and replaced the spark plugs. Similar problems still. My plugs are getting fouled, and this time the car is puffing out bluish smoke. The coolant does not bubble at idle, but coolant is eaten up a very fast rate. I fill up the radiator with coolant, start the motor, drive, then check the fluid level again...and its low. I rev the motor up, but the coolant does not gush out like before...it seems to get sucked in instead. The oil is getting milky as well so im pretty positive I'm getting a bad seal somewhere

There are no leaks in between the block and the head outside the motor...so im guessing the cylinders themselves may not be sealing right.

What should I do from here? I'm thinking of retorquing the head bolt studs as a final resort before doing a rebuild. At this point I'm thinking that the block may have been warped. Could it be a crack or a blown water jacket? Anyone else have ideas?