Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

VTEC help

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC help

Hello HT,

I'd like to first say that I have tried searching for my issue before posting this, but I was not able to find anything definitive. (I apologize if the answer is indeed out there.)

So, I recently bought an EG hatch w/ a '96 type r motor (chrome tuned). I flew to Denver and drove it all the way back to DC. Midway through Nebraska, I decided that an oil change would probably be good since the previous owner said that he had driven about 1500 miles and 2 track days on the last oil change. I took it to a Jiffy Lube and there began all my issues (I have multiple issues, but I'm only concerned with the VTEC one for now). Maybe it's coincidental, but that was definitely when I first started noticing the issue. (if it matters, Jiffy Lube used 5w20 penzoil fully synthetic) The issue is that VTEC is engaging at random RPM levels...sometimes at 3-4k, sometimes at 5k, and sometimes at the proper 5700k mark. I texted the previous owner and he said that he had never experienced any issues like that at all. After some more conversations, he told me that he had previously used 10w40 mobile one fully synthetic, so I decided to take it back to another Jiffy Lube to use the same exact oil to see if the viscosity difference was my issue (by this time I was in Chicago). No Dice.

That's basically the story (regarding the vtec issue anyway), so any thoughts inputs would be greatly appreciated. I will have to add that I am by no means a mechanic (I'm just a noob who loves VTEC), so please be gentle with your responses. haha

Is it possible that I have another issue that could change the tone of my exhaust to make it sound like VTEC...maybe? Could there be an issue with my tuned ECU? I think it might be misfiring too...could my spark plugs or cables affect the randomness of my VTEC (or at least give the illusion that VTEC is engaging at random rpm levels?)

Lastly, I just checked my oil level last night and it is just above the top dot...is there too much oil?

Thanking you all ahead of time.

- Joe
Old 08-11-2016, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTEC help

Also, since my ECU has been tuned with Crome, is it possible at all that it is programmed to engage VTEC at different RPM levels depending on how fast you are driving?
Old 08-11-2016, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Since it is tuned on Crome, it is possible that VTEC is load sensitive... meaning that once multiple conditions are met, VTEC is engaged by the ECU. Typically, these conditions would include a very low vehicle speed, a minimum RPM, and a minimum TPS/load value. When all conditions are met... VTEC is engaged. Also, if the VTEC pressure switch is being utilized, you may see some fluctuation due to oil pressure differences at lower RPM... especially when transitioning from cold start to warm engine operation.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:02 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by nomoracin1030
Lastly, I just checked my oil level last night and it is just above the top dot...is there too much oil?

Thanking you all ahead of time.

- Joe
When you say just above, are we talking 1mm or 1/4 inch above the top dot?

Also, are you sure you were not slightly inclined down where you checked it? Even the slightest downgrade can put the level just above the top dot. And by slightest, I mean the absolute slightest. My visitor parking barely runs the water off it, The car barely rolls forward in neutral. It's enough to put a properly full oil level just over the top dot.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Since it is tuned on Crome, it is possible that VTEC is load sensitive... meaning that once multiple conditions are met, VTEC is engaged by the ECU. Typically, these conditions would include a very low vehicle speed, a minimum RPM, and a minimum TPS/load value. When all conditions are met... VTEC is engaged. Also, if the VTEC pressure switch is being utilized, you may see some fluctuation due to oil pressure differences at lower RPM... especially when transitioning from cold start to warm engine operation.
that's interesting...i did notice last night that what makes VTEC engage is how hard i step on the pedal. if i just gradually accelerate, then VTEC engages properly at 5700 RPM, however, when i step on the gas harder, that's when VTEC kicks in...so strange.

i was also thinking about it last night about another theory...since this car was from denver, co (high altitude), could i just need a re-tune now that i'm back home (sea level)? any validity in that?
Old 08-12-2016, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
When you say just above, are we talking 1mm or 1/4 inch above the top dot?

Also, are you sure you were not slightly inclined down where you checked it? Even the slightest downgrade can put the level just above the top dot. And by slightest, I mean the absolute slightest. My visitor parking barely runs the water off it, The car barely rolls forward in neutral. It's enough to put a properly full oil level just over the top dot.
i would say more like 1/4 inch above the top dot.

i'm pretty sure it was pretty level. could 1/4 inch above top dot cause issues with VTEC? i know how sensitive it is to oil pressure.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:59 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by nomoracin1030
i would say more like 1/4 inch above the top dot.

i'm pretty sure it was pretty level. could 1/4 inch above top dot cause issues with VTEC? i know how sensitive it is to oil pressure.
I'm not as familiar with vtec, but I do know that is nearing or about a half liter too much oil. That can cause you problems even if not with vtec. The oil froths more and can actually cause oil starvation.

A smidgeon above the top dot is one thing, a quarter inch or more is another. You need to drain some out and get the oil level proper.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE...

my issue has been resolved. it was indeed the way my ecu was tuned. i borrowed a friend's hondata and he put a stock JDM b18c basemap on. and VTEC worked perfectly...well, the way i like it anyway (at one set engage point of 5700rpm).

i'm just glad that i didn't end of having a real issue. as long as i knew that it was tuned like that intentionally, then i was fine. my friends were scaring me saying that i must have an oil pressure issue.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:46 PM
Hysterically Calm

I hope you drained some oil from the engine to get it at proper level. Driving around with a liter over full is not good for the motor at all.