Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Visible Difference Between Intake and Exhaust Valve Springs??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visible Difference Between Intake and Exhaust Valve Springs??

Hey.

The waterpump in my brother's Accord lost all impeller blades. As a result, he ran it too hot causing the cylinder head to warp. So, I had the head resurfaced and the valve seats and valves re-worked. However, at the time I wasn't thinking that the intake and exhaust valve springs may be different, although they look alike. Turns out they are.

My question is, would an experienced machine shop know the difference between the two sets of valve springs when reassembling the valve-train? I mean, could they tell them apart? I can't. The other reason I ask is because I saw the guy pour the springs, retainers and clips out of a container... but don't recall seeing him seperate them in anyway.

Now it's the weekend and this particular guy is off today, so I can't ask him.

Help. I didn't think of this until after I've gotten the cylinderhead and intake manifold back on. I haven't gone any further, so I can remove it quickly if needed. Only problem is now my new head-gasket is ruined. Is there anything that I could do to test whether or not the springs are isntalled correctly? For instance, if one side is stiffer than the other, might it be difficult to rotate the cam if there are springs installed on the wrong side (i.e. a stiff spring on the side where the less stiff spring should be)?
Old 08-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Visible Difference Between Intake and Exhaust Valve Springs??

I know the original post is old but I was just researching the problem of mixed D17A2 valve springs and here is what I have discovered. If you go to the Majestic Honda website to the parts page, VALVE - ROCKER ARM (DOHC VTEC), you will find for a 2001 Honda Civic EX the springs are color coded as follows: Exhaust-Sky Blue, which mine are. Intake-White. Mine are brown but I think what has happened is the white was turned brown by the oil, engine has 170,000 miles on it. I have two of these heads and both have blue on the exhaust and brown on the intake. I did measure them and the exhaust are about 1/8 inch taller and the wire diameter is as follows: Intake-.1415 (3.60mm) Exhaust-.1290 (3.28mm). Remember, this is for FACTORY HONDA SPRINGS ONLY!! If you buy a after market springs when doing a cam change etc. most after market springs are all the same for Intake and Exhaust. I checked some other Civics on the parts section on Majestic Honda website and found most but not all the same blue for exhaust & white for intake. Just beware the white may have turned brown from years of the oil staining the white paint. The is a lot of good information in the Illustrated Parts Breakdown (IPB) on the different Honda dealership websites that have them. I've used Majestic several times and they will sell you the parts wholesale and have great shipping. I've also used another Honda dealership in Oklahoma City and in the San Francisco Bay area. All the Honda dealerships here in Denver change you just about double what these ones that sell for almost wholesale charge. Anyway, lots of great info on these websites if you are researching Honda parts or need to know where parts go and if you have the correct one. I use them constantly.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Visible Difference Between Intake and Exhaust Valve Springs??

rondc8
you are absolutely correct. I checked your source and sure enough there is a difference between intake and exhaust.

I made the same mistake.

It should not take too long to repair and I hate to have to buy another head gasket.

Thanks