Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Using an open exhaust with no catalytic converter: any advantages or disadvantages?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using an open exhaust with no catalytic converter: any advantages or disadvantages?

So I have a simple question that I'm not finding an answer to anywhere on H-T. Is there anything bad about running an open cat? What I mean by "open cat" is simply having no exhaust piping after the cat. converter. The reason I'm asking is the last hatch I had, I drove open header for two years and had no significant issues, other than reduced emissions and a CEL for no 02 sensor (was a gsr swap). Now I got another Teggy with a stock exhaust, which at first I didn't mind, but I get bored quickly with quiet cars. I'm in the process of starting to accumulate the pieces for my custom exhaust, but I probably won't finish it until close to spring time. In the meantime, will I be okay to run an open cat? Only reason I want open cat vs open header is so that I can retain my 02 sensor and not have the CEL.

My other alternative would be to install this no name catback system that came with my car when I bought it. I honestly don't want to gamble on the fitment/quality of that system, so I'd rather just find a way to increase the sound of my OEM exhaust, again until I complete my custom system. I hope this thread is in the right location, admins feel free to move if it necessary.

Thanks guys
Old 10-10-2018, 01:18 PM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default re: Using an open exhaust with no catalytic converter: any advantages or disadvantages?

Should be no issues besides noise as far as I know.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default re: Using an open exhaust with no catalytic converter: any advantages or disadvantages?

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
Should be no issues besides noise as far as I know.
Agreed.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were you, I’d remove the muffler and leave the piping running to the rear lca in place. The sound will be better this way. Less boom under your buttocks. Also you don’t want all that heat and soot blasting the underside of your car. It will get messy and may accelerate rust formation.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 801 Likes on 741 Posts

Yeah, I would leave some piping after the cat still connected. This will reduce the rear O2 sensor getting false readings from outside air corruption... AND the things that Free Man has stated above.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, thanks guys. Think I'll go with Free Man's suggestion, I was partially worried that no piping after the cat might somehow throw off emissions and still throw a CEL code.