Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Update from CA SMOG Ref re: JDM engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Update from CA SMOG Ref re: JDM engines

Really? I've been here my whole life and will never leave because of emissions. It's so nice here, I'm just trying to be legit. I'm in San Diego btw and no better weather than here imo. Just looking for a straight answer, I guess I will just call tomorrow.

Last edited by ej1b18c1; 03-17-2014 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats! You might want to cover up your vin

are you using a usdm mani or jdm?
Old 07-31-2014, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

7-30-14 JDM B18C bar legal

Thanks!! I deleted the photo showing the vin. usdm obd1 gsr intake manifold and 94-99 gsr exhaust manifold. ct engineering ice box with 95 gsr intake tube and 95 gsr usdm ecu.

Name:  IMG_0653.jpg
Views: 2487
Size:  253.4 KB

Last edited by ej1b18c1; 07-31-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I notice on your new sticker on the comments it said gsr with jdm block. Any info on what that was about? I never seen that comment when sourcing info on sites about BAR a motor.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes the ref put that to state its a JDM GSR block with usdm emissions such as usdm intake manifold etc. But I have never seen that comment before as well. Makes me wonder if I could get away with a b20 block haha. I'm happy for now until I get a lil more power legally!! Like edelbrock turbo kit or Jackson racing supercharger would be nice in the future..

Here's the pic w/out the VIN..

Name:  IMG_0661.jpg
Views: 2385
Size:  203.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0614.jpg
Views: 1879
Size:  138.9 KB
Old 08-07-2014, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon7 Re: Update from CA SMOG Ref re: JDM engines

Originally Posted by jdmjunkieXL
u can get a ref ticket if u have non carb exempt parts on the engine
Originally Posted by ej1b18c1
Really? I've been here my whole life and will never leave because of emissions. It's so nice here, I'm just trying to be legit. I'm in San Diego btw and no better weather than here imo. Just looking for a straight answer, I guess I will just call tomorrow.
CARB BAR Referee is just another racket the state runs to further tax the over-taxed residents of California. Taxation without representation you say? Yes. I avoid the whole BAR referee issue altogether by fighting the "ref ticket" or "modified emissions ticket" in Court. A ticket/citation is Promise to Appear that YOU will show up to Court at the time and place that the Officer choses. When you get a ticket, fight that ticket and exhaust all your legal options before running off to see the BAR referee. The referee is an employee of the CARB BAR. YOU are within your legal right to contest/fight/argue your ticket in Court. Please DO NOT mouth off to the LEO, sign the ticket, and go to Court and deny all allegations.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a fixit ticket unless you go to court and contest it. If you lose you will pay the entire fee instead of just the $25 fixit ticket fee. If you lose the judge won't allow you to simply get it signed off. The good news is that when you get the engine bar'ed you only have to pay $8 for a smog as well since it counts as a smog if your registration is up.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slammed101
Solution? Move out of California.
Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
It's a fixit ticket unless you go to court and contest it. If you lose you will pay the entire fee instead of just the $25 fixit ticket fee. If you lose the judge won't allow you to simply get it signed off. The good news is that when you get the engine bar'ed you only have to pay $8 for a smog as well since it counts as a smog if your registration is up.
$8 bucks for a smog. Thats a steal.

Regarding so-called California traffic court adjudication process, please review the CVC (California Vehicle Code) in regards to "fix it tickets", and whatever the statute says regarding punishment/fines for said offense, is exactly what the judge (who actually isn't a real judge, but only a mere commissioner) is going to ask you to do. There are very few real judges nowadays, most so-called judges are commissioners, or you might encounter a judge pro-tem sometimes. Google CCP§170.6 regarding striking a Commissioner from hearing your case.

Here is the link to review any current law, or statute in California, might be a great idea to bookmark this link: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

Link on CCP§170.6: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...file=170-170.9
Old 08-08-2014, 08:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Theres no reason for me to review the law when i already know it.

Also you can appeal a case that was decided by a pro tem judge if you find out later that the pro tem judge heard your case and you werent given a right not to be heard by him/her.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Only cost me $8.25 for my state ref inspection and smog check. Call it what you want but why go to court when I can just be legit with no hassles. Been there and done it before, I have no time to attend court to fight tickets.

I never got a fix it ticket in the first place, just tired of paying $$$ for illegal smog. Good luck finding STAR smog stations that are shady for less than $300.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Theres no reason for me to review the law when i already know it.
Awesome!

Also you can appeal a case that was decided by a pro tem judge if you find out later that the pro tem judge heard your case and you werent given a right not to be heard by him/her.
Trial de novo does not apply to an untimely and unfiled CCP170.6 motion to strike a trier of facts.

It is nearly impossible to set aside a traffic judgment, in pro per, sans demurrer/pleading. If that were the case, nearly all traffic judgments could/would be set aside post trial. Your facts are 100% correct, but not in that particular order.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=2k.civic.si;44924570]i have a jdm b16 in my integra and the nice BAR sticker in the door jam
you can get a jdm motor through

So i have a d17b7 on my civic but the engine is damage i want to buy a d15b for my civic so is legal to pass smog and i should pay something to be the engine legal on california
Old 03-27-2021, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any recent update on referee locations that would pass JDM short block? I have a OBD1 B18C setup that has all of the USDM emission and ECU looking to BAR in a CRX
Old 03-27-2021, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ej1b18c1
Yes the ref put that to state its a JDM GSR block with usdm emissions such as usdm intake manifold etc. But I have never seen that comment before as well. Makes me wonder if I could get away with a b20 block haha. I'm happy for now until I get a lil more power legally!! Like edelbrock turbo kit or Jackson racing supercharger would be nice in the future..

Here's the pic w/out the VIN..

Attachment 373902

Attachment 373904
Hello, I know this is an old thread. Where did get refereed at? Im building a CRX and have a JDM B18C with USDM emissions setup. Looking for best chance to get BARR'D.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TopCRX
Hello, I know this is an old thread. Where did get refereed at? Im building a CRX and have a JDM B18C with USDM emissions setup. Looking for best chance to get BARR'D.
Wow this is old.

Now days ,most if not all, Ref stations will pass a JDM block. Just make sure you have all of your t's crossed and i's dotted.

They have really backed off of stringent emissions enforcement. In fact, as of now,most people who are sent to the Reff ,are being told to just pay the fee and dont bother going in(not engine swaps)
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-09-2021, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any recommendations locations to go to?
Old 04-12-2021, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TopCRX
Any recommendations locations to go to?
A few years ago they lost funding for Ref stations and shut alot of them down. Im not even sure whos still open, or if theyre all open again. Try looking for answers here:
https://asktheref.org/