Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Tranny problem WTF??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny problem WTF??

GSR tranny, LS final Drive, Quaife

ok so i was planning on taking the tranny apart and having someone replace syncros or whatever because of wierd things lately like 5th gear was being weird about going in, and actually engaging, but i figured out that it was because the oil was really low for some reason so i fixed that. so lately here my 2nd gear is engaging just fine driving normal but sometimes such as when i get really slow at a red light and then it turns green and i have just enough speed to slip it into second and take off, it just throws it right back out and wont do it and i try to put it back in and it will kinda grind, and i have to put it in first and then switch to second like normal and all is good. Well i drove to nopi today, reversed out of my parking spot and drove home. So the next time i used it was 20 minutes ago, and i put it in reverse, and backed up and WTF it felt like i hit the brake with my left foot or something. When i left it in reverse and pressed in the clutch as i was coasting backward something was dragging me to a halt and the stick would not come out of reverse till i gased it a little trying to reverse and i could push it out. the car rolls fine backward while not in reverse. WTF?? Reverse just out of no where decides its self destruction time? what? I can barely use reverse now. Hopefully it will last me till i pull this **** out dammit. how much are replacement synchros usually? I know i want to replace those, and maybe the shaft bearings.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny problem WTF?? (SPOOLINmatt)

BUMP!
Old 02-01-2006, 06:41 AM

syncros sets are about 250 bearings are 30-40 bucks each. sounds like a countershaft bearing went out or the typical input shaft bearing
Old 02-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gents97civ)

http://www.acuraparts247.com/p...ch=no

you talking about the number 7 part on here, thats 250. I have to buy all of that **** for 1-2 syncro replacement? how many synchros is there if i wanted to replace all of them. I know i have to replace 1-2 i think because i cant put it in 2nd when i downshift from 3rd at a slow speed until i get down to like 5-10 mph it feels mushy if i try to. and if i put it in and gas it it will just grind like it never was in gear. i want to reaplce the syncro for 2-3 but i dont see it in the parts list. sometimes it feels kinda wierd going into 3rd, never grinds though. i really dont knwo anything about trannies just trying to find out what the hell is going on with reverse its the big problem right now.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SPOOLINmatt)

also, the only i can smoothly reverse is to ride the expletive out of the clutch cause i get it going and then push the clutch in while its still in reverse so i can coast, something stops me, very quickly. it just started doing this out of no where.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (SPOOLINmatt)

Maybe it's a parking brake or rear caliper issue. Maybe the caliper pins need to be replaced (you're supposed to lube them every 2nd or 3rd oil change).
Do you notice any funny smells after driving?

The gears are paired up for the synchros and shift forks. 1st-2nd, 3rd-4th, 5th-reverse. The shift forks move the synchro sleeve back and forth to engage one of the gears of a gear pair. Right now, it's looking like you'll have to replace the 1st-2nd gear synchro set and possibly even 2nd gear. The 5th-reverse synchro set is about $120 to $150 and might need to be replaced as well. That's bare minimum.

I'd wait on ordering parts until after opening up the transmission. For all you know, you could need an entire new set of synchros and any number of gears, shift forks, various bearings, and any other misc items (friction dampeners, lock nut, thrust shims, spring washers, etc.). It's hard to know everything you'll need without looking at it first.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IN VTEC)

counter shaft bearing on the top was demolished, replaced all the top bearings, we will see what happens. some of the gears had noticeable wear, but the tranny was driving strait just fine so im gonna ride them out and see what happens with GM synchromesh, its not in yet, im still assembling my engine.