Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Tranny Experts........ I got a question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Experts........ I got a question

Hey,

Ok I was told you guys are the smartest bunch when it comes to Honda's. So I figured I'd ask. I just got done doing a motor swap. JDM Type -R in a 93 Civic Hatch......man it's freakin sweet, runs great. The problem I'm having and can't seem to figure out for **** is...

When I turn the steering wheel left or right I get a weird sorta binding noise.... Like a clunk clunk and then it lets go...this is the part that throws us off...it only does it some times.....Sometimes only turning left, sometimes only turning right... and only at speeds of 20 or below. So it comes and goes...we thought it was the axles......they came with the motor (streetimports) we replaced them and noticed that the ones we got were a bit longer, but the new ones in and it still did it but not as bad....So my question is.....why is it doing that? Tranny? LSD?.....any ideas would be great before I go buying a new tranny..
Old 02-10-2008, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Tranny Experts........ I got a question (hatchsteven)

if the diff is welded i know it can bind on turns.. do axles look like they rub? if not it could be in trans.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Tranny Experts........ I got a question (97grnrs)

doesn't look like the axles are rubbing....but the tranny looks like it been gone into. Thats what my mechanic says. I bought it from streetimports back in early dec and just got it all done and on the ground...so it's been over a month and "they can't help me..."lol

I'll have to check to see if it's been welded on, but where exactly would that be and why would that make it do that?
Old 02-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you drive the car before the swap. is all the inner and outer tie rod ends good. also is the rack and pinion know to be good.
im not saying it isnt the tranny but just eliminate the simple stuff first. i doubt the diff is welded it would be difficult to do a u turn,also if its a type r it has a lsd why would you weld that.
it is possible to have a bad tranny,my buddys itr tranny took a **** not long after he got it.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Tranny Experts........ I got a question (4g hatch)

The car drove fine before the swap but that's good stuff to tell the mechanic to look for....good advice guys..keep it coming.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the reason i say rack and pinion is the one im my girls cavalier does similar. it only does is at a stop or real slow turn. sometimes left somtimes right. it kinda grabs or clunk twice then thats it. been like that for years only does it once and a while.
also check ball joints and anything front end related that may get pressure on them when the wheel is turned. does it only do it on a roll or a complete stop also
Old 02-10-2008, 04:34 PM

does it on both, complete stop and rolls..oh and when we had it on the left we gave it some gas and it doesn't do it only when it's on the ground...
Old 02-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly im not a expert but have some common sense any way i dont see how a bad diff would cause a noise at a complete stop,it should only affect it at a roll. check the r&p all the bushing,bearings while its on the lift when you turn the wheel either way for binding. if you cant find anything it wouldnt hurt to replace the r&p if you can get one for free or cheap. is it power or manual rack
Old 02-10-2008, 05:00 PM

oops I meant to say that it does it when I go from a complete stop but just turning the steering wheel when I'm stopped doesn't do anything like that.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i see. well check everthing in the front,if that doesnt help,and since you said the tranny looks like its been apart then i would take it out and crack it open. it doesnt look like the people you got it from are gonna help.
you know on another note,ive also seen those trannies from japan,come with aftermarket diffs,and the importer never noticed it. clutch diffs like kazz make alot of noise.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:57 PM

hmmm..I'll check it out. Thanks for you help
Old 02-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My cousin just bought a jdm type r motor from Hmotors online a few months ago. When he ordered the motor the guy told him that the transmission would come with a viscous LSD and that it would make noise. Turns out in japan only the 97 year type R had this option as an upgrade. ......Well anyways we had the motor put in and soon as you drove it and took a turn it would click like a broken cv joint... even the slightest turn, would make a click....checked all the axles....suspension, joints...you name it it was done. If you pull the axel on the transmission side there is a way you can tell if its the optional LSD you look into the diff.....can't remember how, gonna have to call the mechanic that found out. But yeah sounds like a broken cv joint but it was the LSD car drives perfect.....you can actually feel the LSD lock and unlock at different points in the turns....cool but annoying if you ask me.....not saying you have it but just maybe.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Banned

Default Re: (tech0937)

If you don't have some sort of funky clunky LSD, then perhaps one of the pinion gears in the differential is broken or chipped? This could cause the pinion gears in the diff to bind (fully or partially) when turning tighter corners when the difference between inside and outside wheel rotation is higher, but be less obvious in more open corners (at higher speeds?) where the wheel rotation difference is less (?).

Not knowing much about how the various different types of LSDs function, if you have a LSD could it be to with the 'limited slip' mechanism binding up sometimes? LSDs have pinion gears too...
Old 02-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your still having the problem it could be motor mounts. your enw motors position could be binding the axles. alot of cheap mount kits will do that
if u have cheap mounts. get hassports it should correct your issue.