Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

(Tiptronic) Transmission problem :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Tiptronic) Transmission problem :(

Hello

There is something wrong with my '97 Prelude. The transmission will not catch gears. In automatic, starting from first gear, when it tries to switch into second, it stays in neutral, revs really high, and will get near redline without switching to second gear.

In tiptronic, the same thing will happen, unless I try switching in really high RPMS. I have to be at about 6,000RPMS to switch from first, to second, to third, to fourth, etc. And it's not a very smooth transition either

Does anyone know what the likely cause could be, and how serious it is, and how much it will probably cost to service? (This just started happening today)

Thanks
Old 08-14-2002, 06:34 AM

Default Re: (Tiptronic) Transmission problem :( (chronoshift)

Thanks SO MUCH for your help. I really hope that this is the problem. I plan to bring the car into a dealer to get it inspected soon to find out what they have to say. I hope it is either something electrical, a cable, the ATF, or just anything other than replacing the whole transmission. I brought it to my friend's "regular" shop and without even looking at the car, from just the explaination I gave above they said that I will need a new transmission no questions asked. They quoted me 2,800$ (cnd) which I don't have right now. I really can't afford anything more than 1,000$.

Just about everyone in the "Prelude" forum thinks that the transmission is gone aswell, however you, and everyone else that I have asked (with superior automobile knowledge) aren't so quick to jump to that conclusion. They also think it could be the TC, an electrical fault, computer sensor, etc.

*prays*
I miss her

BTW how do you become a non trial member?

[Modified by chronoshift, 7:38 AM 8/14/2002]
Old 08-14-2002, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tiptronic) Transmission problem :( (chronoshift)

It's usually the dealer shops that eat you alive cost wise. I've had very little success finding ANY kind of shop that only charges you for the work that was done to fix what was wrong. You would be one up on them it you knew what was wrong before you go in there.

Former Lude owner
Old 08-15-2002, 06:51 AM

Default Re: (Tiptronic) Transmission problem :( (EVIL Teken)

The TC seems horrible! I let my co-worker who is much more knowledgable about cars look at your post and he said there are good changes that is what is wrong. I am hoping it's just the TC and nothing else because that would be much cheaper than replacing the whole tranny. I am going to get it towed to a Honda Dealer today JUST to check it out, and run it through their computers/scanners etc. The ATF is pretty bad, though I can't lift the car up to check for frayed cables etc. My friend works for Canadian Tire and he can lift it there if need be. Thanks for your help, i'll let you know how it goes with the Honda dealer ;/