Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

--Are these signs of a bad motor mount?? Quick opinions please--

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default --Are these signs of a bad motor mount?? Quick opinions please--

First off let me just go through my setup

Ive got polyurethane motor mount inserts on the drivers side mount and the front mount. The trans mount and rear mount are original with 200+ miles on them. I recently installed a jimfab traction bar and have the heim joints set at 0 as most people here on hondatech recommend.

Problems started at the track, upon a decently hard launch i would get some wheel hop even with the traction bars (talkin pretty major hop). The front right kinda felt like it was torquing or something was letting go and allowing the wheel hop to happen. I know the traction bars will not eliminate 100% of the hop but this was rediculous. I went home and the next day made sure the bars were nice and tight, checked my strut mount bolts ( struts are also brand new kybs) and made sure they were also tight. Still no good. Im getting a minor clunk noise when i release the clutch without giving it too much gas. Ive also had the hood popped and while sittin in the drivers seat releasing the clutch and noticing a bit of a pivot with the motor front to back also in reverse. Even while driving i get a bit of a stutter when i release the clutch. Anyone have any input? or wasnt i specific enough........ sorry for the long post, i just want some input before i go tearing into the mounts. Thanx guys.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: --Are these signs of a bad motor mount?? Quick opinions please-- (sloorex)

I got the inserts hoping it would make up for my stock mounts being torn...

I installed them and it did to some degree but there was still wheel hop...

So I'd say go with some jim fab mounts if you're looking for solid launchs...

Also I'd ask what are the condition of the rest of your lower susp. bushings... I HIGHLY recomend the ES master kit.... the large LCA bushings in the front affect hop like NOBODY'S business...

When I did those it stiffend things up so much in launch I tore my stock torque mount... that's what lead me to the ES inserts...

After replacing my stock mounts with new stock mounts it's almost all gone... As much as can be expected without a traction bar or aftermarket springs/shocks.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my lca bushings are pretty damn shitty......... i guess the master kit is what im gonna have to go with then........

where did u purchase the LCA bushings separate from?? i work at an autoparts store and have tried to get them through moog but no luck so far....... none of my distributors have them in stock. thanx for the help dude............. sounds like i have a couple days project for me to work on without use of a lift........ o well
Old 11-13-2003, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sloorex)

I got them with the kit... just installed things slowly...

You can get JUST the LCA bushing from mugen via kingmotorsports though...

http://kingmotorsports.com/pro...e=CRX

that SHOULD be it... I'd call or email and double check but the description is...

"Front Lower Arm Set CRX 1988-1991 "

And I'm sure those are better quality than the ES ones... not to mention they replace the metal instead of just the bushing.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:09 PM
SYD
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: --Are these signs of a bad motor mount?? Quick opinions please-- (sloorex)

u can also use the liguid polyurethane in the tube or liquid steel in the mounts and let them dry completey....and u will have a pretty sturdy mount.... it works pretty good.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

definitely going to look into the mugen bushing kit........ the kit looks as though it comes as a complete bushing set? including motor mounts? thanx for the help guys..........

if money becomes a factor ive heard nothing but good things about the liquid polyurethane mod.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im still wondering if the minor "clunk" noise going into gears would be from the lca bushings being bad.......... regardless they need replacing
Old 11-14-2003, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check your shock mount bushings too..

My car clunks when you're transitioning from reverse to forward or braking in any gear...

it's a spun shock mount bushing...

My best advice would be to drive VERY close to a wall (slow obviously) and try to get it to make the noise... it'll reflect off the wall and give you a better idea of where; from front to back; it is coming from.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good idea, im gonna try that if the wind ever stops howling out here....... makin me nuts!

i found some lca bushings from beck/arnley at work that i ordered for 10bucks, im gonna give them a shot and maybe squeeze sum of that poly glue in em as well. i just need to jack her up again and twist and turn a bunch of **** with a pry bar and see what gives.

i might have someone start the car and slowly release the clutch and see if the power transition moves anything as well..........

thanx for the help, i will let u know if i get it fixed and what it was........
Old 11-14-2003, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this probably isn't the case with you but I thought I'd post my experiences anyway.

I had HASport mounts for a B16 in my old crx. One day one of the bolts holding in the rear mount managed to rattle its way out - lol (should have used some thread lock - oh well.) ANyway, the car was still driveable, but if I gave it any decent amount of gas, I could tell something was off. The whole engine would shift front to back pretty far.

2nd occurance I had was when the tranny mount snapped along one of the welds....this caused my motor to drop about an inch on the passenger side, but was still driveable and cause approx. the same feeling. The mount didn't break completly it was still partially hooked over the bushing (thank god, otherwise my motor would have been dragging on the ground - lol.)

So maybe go through and check all your mount bolts and the welds on your mounts to make sure everything is hunky-dorey. Good luck dude, and let us know what happened.

Maybe one of the mounts just ripped (the rubber inside the mount.)
Old 11-14-2003, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybridcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Maybe one of the mounts just ripped (the rubber inside the mount.)</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what im hoping the problem is........ thanx for the input