Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Is there anything to be gained from port matching the throttle body to an aftermarket IM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there anything to be gained from port matching the throttle body to an aftermarket IM?

I just got a Skunk2 pro series IM, and I was wondering if port matching the TB will do anything flow/power wise that will be noticeable. I won't do it if its only 1 horsepower. If what I read is correct, the stock B16A TB is 60mm, and it looks like the port on the inlet of the IM is about 2.5", or around 63mm.

I know that there are even some tuners out there claiming substantial gains from tapering the bore on the TB somehow. Anyone have any concrete information on this?
Old 04-11-2006, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Is there anything to be gained from port matching the throttle body to an aftermarket IM? (confu

do you have any supporting mods? in order to properly utilize a larger throttle body and im you would need it to be required....ie; turbocharger/nitrous something of that sort or a larger cam and valvetrain that will provide better flow
Old 04-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is there anything to be gained from port matching the throttle body to an aftermarket IM? (confu

every little bit counts..
as far as tapering the IM inlet to the tb; i dont think 3mm is enough taper to create any kind of anything.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by confusatron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just got a Skunk2 pro series IM, and I was wondering if port matching the TB will do anything flow/power wise that will be noticeable. I won't do it if its only 1 horsepower. If what I read is correct, the stock B16A TB is 60mm, and it looks like the port on the inlet of the IM is about 2.5", or around 63mm. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The only way to properly check if it will flow more is to set it up on a flow-bench with the cylinder head, intake manifold, and throttle body connected and take before and after airflow readings. Otherwise it's a shot in the dark and all you can say is 'it might'. My opinion is that it will not make a huge difference.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by confusatron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know that there are even some tuners out there claiming substantial gains from tapering the bore on the TB somehow. Anyone have any concrete information on this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tapering the inlet side of the butterfly? It should already have a slight taper, possibly. I wouldn't mess with that though unless you have the right machine tools and a couple of spare TB's to play with.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just get yourself an ebay throttle body they're 200 bucks and I got my S2 on there and it works great.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:28 PM

Here's some linkage to what I'm talking about. I'm sold:

http://www.dh-racing.com/tbody.html

"The 6mm taper, which is force-fed as you accelerate, eliminates any
bog that you experience from a big, straight bore throttle body.
These Throttle Bodies are 100% CNC machined pure billet aluminum and will produce
gut-wrenching power that you can feel when used in conjunction with either a
Stock Ported Intake Manifold or a Custom DHR Typhoon Intake Manifold Power Pack. "
Old 04-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by confusatron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's some linkage to what I'm talking about. I'm sold:

"The 6mm taper, which is force-fed as you accelerate, eliminates any
bog that you experience from a big, straight bore throttle body.
These Throttle Bodies are 100% CNC machined pure billet aluminum and will produce
gut-wrenching power that you can feel when used in conjunction with either a
Stock Ported Intake Manifold or a Custom DHR Typhoon Intake Manifold Power Pack. "</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you like parts that are shiny and look cool that are made by companies who claim to have invented something that has been used for years?

The unit does look to be well designed, though, and the price is good. Does it have progressive linkage? What does their 6mm of taper mean? 6mm per decameter or 6mm from the mounting flange to the end of the intake end? There isn't any useful information, it's just hype. That entire quote is just full of meaningless automotive buzzwords.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:10 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Scott_Tucker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That entire quote is just full of meaningless automotive buzzwords.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-12-2006, 09:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Scott_Tucker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you like parts that are shiny and look cool that are made by companies who claim to have invented something that has been used for years?
There isn't any useful information, it's just hype. That entire quote is just full of meaningless automotive buzzwords.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And so are all aftermarket performance bolt-on parts. AEM cold air intakes are double the price of anyone elses, but don't deliver any more power. Yet how many thousands of tuners have an AEM CAI on their car just because of the appearance and the advertising? And I'm not the type of person to buy an aftermarket part just because it's shiny billet aluminum. I wasn't interested in that part of this product.

As far as the concept, it's all spelled out pretty well if you had clicked on the link and read the text. Ever seen a velocity stack on a turbo? Same general idea. What you're doing is taking a volume of air, then compressing it slightly at the last second. A denser charge equals more power. The taper, by the way, starts at the throttle body inlet, where your air intake bolts on. It is 75mm or about 3" at that point. Then it tapers to to other side of the throttle body at the intake plenum of your intake manifold to a final diameter of 69mm.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

instead of pay $200 for a crap TB. look into maxbore, he is a HT member, and he specializes in boring your oem TB to different sizes. he will also take your after market IM and match your TB to it. all of this for something around $100 or so.

again his honda-tech name is -- maxbore.com

or http://www.maxbore.com

also, here is his honda-tech thread -- https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=771875
Old 04-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maxbore bored my TB for $100
is now 64mm.
i also bought a Blox intake manifold.
Is a fully built engine so i will be hitting the dyno like in 2 to 3 week.
i will let yu know is this **** work