Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

starter problem?? car cranks forever!! NEED HELP!! PLZ

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter problem?? car cranks forever before starting!! NEED HELP!! PLZ

i have a b18b and just recently my car has been starting up shitty! it used to just click click click..but i used to just turn the key a couple times and it would start...it did that for a good week then it would happen again... so a couple weeks later my car doesnt click anymore but all it does is either start up or crank for a LONG *** TIME! i changed my starter and it was working fine for a coule days..now its back to my cranking problem again..i got my old starter checked at autozone and it tested PERFECT! so i pretty much switched starters for nothing..because the one im using now is messing up and my original one works!

my car will crank itself to death before it starts..when it does its a nasty start that almost bogs and dies again..it will eventually start but i would like some help on what else could be the problem/cause if this matter... im stumped

thanks in advance for the advice!
Old 11-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starter problem?? car cranks forever before starting!! NEED HELP!! PLZ (4play4dr)

if your car cranks fine then its not a starter problem. your starter is obviously doing its job. i'd say you either have a problem with your battery or a problem with your ignition.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starter problem?? car cranks forever before starting!! NEED HELP!! PLZ (Mikey3000)

i kno its not the batter for sure because i got that checked at Autozone along with my alternator..could it be the ignition? how can i find out for sure what the problem is??
Old 11-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starter problem?? car cranks forever before starting!! NEED HELP!! PLZ (4play4dr)

any suggestions?? anyone??
Old 11-05-2005, 11:08 PM

Your symptoms sound just a bit different, but here's at least something cheap and easy to try:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1420175
Old 11-09-2005, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starter problem?? car cranks forever before starting!! NEED HELP!! PLZ (Ford no more)

true..i will try it out soon..i just changed my cap and rotor and noticed that my old one was F'ed UP!..it was all burnt and there was no gold spark thingy around the cap anymore..and my rotor was all burnt in the middle..so im guessing that might have been the problem..but its only been on for a day and i need more time to actually diagnose the problem..because i can hear the fuel pump turn on when i turn the keyy..so wouldnt that make my relay good? i dont know..just a though..and even when its hot..i turn the key and if the relay's solderings expanded..it would turn the pump on right? i dunno..i hear the pump turning on though..so i guess ill just see whats up with that after this cap and rotor experiment..thanks for that thread tho ford no more!
Old 11-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

main relay? or something else? suggestions??
Old 11-11-2005, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

help?!
Old 11-11-2005, 07:07 AM

ok i just learned this is school. and it has nothing to do with your starter or distributor or any of that ****.. Theres either two things wrong with it either it could be a faulty relay for the fuel pump so its running off of oil pressure. or its the one way check valve in the fuel pump which is releaving the fuel pressure in the fuel pump giving you that long long crank.... check it out and let me know what you find... im almost positive thats what it is off of the info you gave me
Old 11-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have a faulty ignition switch?
Old 11-12-2005, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starter problem?? car cranks forever before starting!! NEED HELP!! PLZ (my gssR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by my gssR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i just learned this is school. and it has nothing to do with your starter or distributor or any of that ****.. Theres either two things wrong with it either it could be a faulty relay for the fuel pump so its running off of oil pressure. or its the one way check valve in the fuel pump which is releaving the fuel pressure in the fuel pump giving you that long long crank.... check it out and let me know what you find... im almost positive thats what it is off of the info you gave me </TD></TR></TABLE>

the fuel pump is about 3months old..its a walbro 255lph..so i dunno if it would be that thats messed up..ima try to check out the main relay this weekend..so ill try to keep yall posted..thanks for the info..
Old 11-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for more answers!!
Old 11-14-2005, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you've checked the obvious stuff, now it's gonna get tedious.

I think you'll have to get a multi-meter & look for wiring problems. Verify that your ignition switch is closing the proper circuits, then check power coming from the main relay. Verify that the distributor gets battery voltage. If not, check 'upstream' from there to find what's disconnected. Got a wiring drawing?
Old 11-16-2005, 08:34 AM

Default Re: starter problem?? car cranks forever before starting!! NEED HELP!! PLZ (JimBlake)

in my 93 civic, the main relay has about 145K miles on it, give or take, and i think it was wearing out and sometimes my car would crank crank but wouldn't start, replaced it with a new one and now it starts 100% of the time.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock ECU? What do you have for engine management. It may need a little tweaking in the startup area.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starter problem?? car cranks forever before starting!! NEED HELP!! PLZ (raene)

i just ordered a main relay..should come in soon..ill see if it solves my problems..yes stock ecu..everything is stock besides bolt ons
Old 11-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not the main relay..my car was working fine for about two weeks and all of the sudden it started doing the same crap again..luckily i had my other main
relay(good one) and i switched it out right there in the parking lot..and yet it kept cranking again..so i kno now its not the relay..waste of 30 bucks!! so next step for me is to find a good working dizzy..

so if anyone has any other ideas or has a distributor for me..HOLLA ATCHA BOY!!!
Old 11-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Same exact problem in my Teg. The distributor would work sometimes and then other times it wouldn't. Remove your cap and see if you're getting spark. If the car got hot it would happen more often.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: starter problem?? car cranks forever before starting!! NEED HELP!! PLZ (LSV_REX)

im gettin another known workingn distributor..so hopefully my dreams will come true!! did u change urs? or ever get it fixed?