Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

something wrong with vtec? CEL

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default something wrong with vtec? CEL

ok, so today I was driving on the highway. I merged on and i was in 1st gear. I'm cruising along slowly. There is a big truck next to me so I try and pass him. Still in first at about 3-4k rpm i nail the gas. Then I watch my rpm's climb to maybe around 5k and then it goes all the way down by it self. it almost sounded like it redlined at 5k then the CEL came on. So i get out the next exit and pull the car over. I turn the car off and back on and there is no CEL. the car drives fine only not when the rpms are high. the past few days i've noticed my vtec hasnt been engaging correctly. sometimes i would be at around 5-6k to see if i could feel it and nothing happens till around 7k then i redline at 8k so i cant really feel much... anyone know what it could be? vtec solenoid maybe? please help
Old 06-10-2003, 09:17 AM

Default Re: something wrong with vtec? CEL (shipsaeki)

could it be that the solenoid is leaking? I think i saw some oil around it but it was mainly around the head... i'll take some pics
Old 06-10-2003, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would short your SCS connector over on the passenger side of the car to see if your ECU is still holding a code... It makes me think that maybe you will have a code 22 (VTEC oil pressure)... If it was leaking this could be the problem too as your sensor sees enough pressure to engage VTEC and then a dip... Normally you'll see this if the solenoid is sticking, your oil pump is going out, etc... If you have another solenoid that's an easy thing to change and it possibly could solve your problem... If not then see if your ECU is still holding a code, though the CEL still isn't up you may have one... My friend's old B16A/CRX had a problem like this but it was just the oil pump going out, if you stayed in VTEC for a few seconds it would cut when the pump could not supply enough pressure... You turn off the car, start it back up, VTEC would work again he had a code 22 stored in the ECU... Let me know and i'll think about it more... Good Luck
Old 06-10-2003, 10:18 AM

Default Re: something wrong with vtec? CEL (Kataku2K3)

thanks for the quick reply. I checked the ECU and its throwing 2 different codes at me. 21 and 22 which are

21 VTEC Solenoid Valve (1.8L GSR)

VTEC Oil Pressure Switch (1.8L GSR)

now what do i do with this? what would i have to fix or change?
Old 06-10-2003, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay if you had a new VTEC solenoid assembly that's what I would first try swapping... If you don't have one handy and you have to go buy one then don't bother just yet... I would first check into the wiring... I don't know why it would go out but atleast check continuity from the ECU ot the VTS and VTM... If there are any breaks in the wire you will know and have to replace... It's hard to say if this is a mechanical problem or not but you could also test your oil pressure coming into the solenoid... Low pressure here would give you a 22 but there's no reason for the 21... I highly doubt your oil pump is failing but then again things happen... Okay here's the easy break down again...

1. If you have a spare VTEC solenoid assembly swap it on and see if it fixes your problem.. (also reset your ECU)

2. Just take off VTEC solenoid to inspect seal, etc... Clean it up put it back on and see if it works...

3. Check the wiring, make sure the wires signal is going out for the VTEC solenoid (VTS) and in for the VTEC pressure sensor (VTM)

4. Test oil pressure coming into the solenoid, if it's within spec then you're fine...

5. If you get down to here and everything else checked out okay but you had to skip #1 cuz you didn't have a spare VTEC solenoid then you might just have to buy one... (I don't want to tell you to do that and have it not work so ask for a few other opinions...)

Let me know how everything goes and i'll get back to ya... Good Luck
Old 06-10-2003, 04:31 PM

Default Re: something wrong with vtec? CEL (Kataku2K3)

how would i go about taking off the vtec solenoid? Is it fairly simple? I don't want to go poking around and messing **** up even worse. also, How do i check the pressure of the oil coming into the solenoid? thanks Kataku2k3, you've been very helpful so far.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:32 PM

oh btw, I don't have an extra solenoid...
Old 06-10-2003, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The solenoid assembly bolts to the head via 3 6mm x 1.25 bolts which have a 10mm head... It's really easy to take off and put on so don't worry about anything... It may stick a little but don't hesitate to pull... You'll also have to disconnect the VTEC signal line connector and the one for VTEC pressure... Once you get it off take a look at it... You also may want to look into a Helms manual as it will have everything you need to know... For testing your oil pressure you'll need a oil pressure gauge... You will have to take the plug out of the head and screw in the gauge while running the motor... This will give you a pressure which you'll need to compare to spec... I'm packing up right now to head home from college for the summer so i'll get back to ya in a bit... Go ahead and pull off the VTEC solenoid if you get time... Let me know how it goes... Peace