Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

some weird sh|t going on with my car, no idea what is going on with the idle??

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some weird sh|t going on with my car, no idea what is going on with the idle??

there is something weird going on with my car andi will try to explain it without any confusion. i did a motor swap in a 95 integra gsr, i took out the blown gsr and replaced it with a B16A2 motor, tranny and ecu. my friends did the swap and they know more than most people and one works in a shop but i believe they screwed things up doing the swap. well the first problem was that the engine was missing a map sensor, i got that and now what i am going to tell you is the current problem. the car idles very weird. the idle hits 1500 rpm's and bounces down to about 1350 rpm's then bounces back up to 1500 and then back down to 1350 very rapidly. it does that everyday all day. vroom vroom vroom vroom vroom, as fast as you read that vroom is how fast it bounces up and down. i tried adjusting the screw and it does nothing. the code that the ecu is giving is the IACV and so i replaced it with a new one, well a good one from import powerhouse in phoenix. it still does the same damn thing after replacing it. i can hear a loud sucking noise from the throttle body which is my fast idle thermo valve sucking in air to keep the car from dying while cold. i made sure it was by taking my intake off and plugging the hole to the FIT valve and it sure was sucking pretty hard. well that thing never shuts off, it keeps sucking loud as hell all day, everyday. i also tried unplugging the IACV, turning my car on and adjusting the idle but the idle wouldn't go down!! what the hell. so i turned off the car, plugged the IACV back in and turned on the car to see if it did anything but of course it didn't. this was a weird swap to do and maybe the vaccum lines and coolant lines and so on were a little different, think that could be theproblem?? where the hell could i take it for someone to do a check up on that becuase my local shop has no idea what is going on. any info would be great. thanks
Old 05-27-2002, 01:38 PM

Default Re: some weird sh|t going on with my car, no idea what is going on with the idle?? (jermothedrunk)

also to add to this phenomenon when i just lightly start pushing the gas the idle bounces faster and faster and then kind of lets go and revs up to 3100 rpm's. it seems like something is holding the engine from reving past 1500 rpm's untill the gas pedal is pressed pass 3000 pm's. hope that is not confusing. that only happens while i am out of gear. when i throw in first, don't press on the gas and let it accelerate by itself, as soon as it hits 1500 rpm's the just jerks back and forth like i have hydroulic or something (don't know how to spell hydroulics) anyway it jerks like crazy when any gear hits 1500 rpm's but when i hit the gas it just accelerates like normal. weird ****!!
Old 05-27-2002, 02:07 PM

Default Re: some weird sh|t going on with my car, no idea what is going on with the idle?? (jermothedrunk)

Sorry if i can't shed much light on your situation, but are you using the right ECU?

Also, i've seen a D16 idle weird. The car bucked sometimes and idled normal, than went up to about 3K, back down to 1K very consistant. Turned out to be his coolant sensor. May want to check that coolant sensor.

[Modified by mechanik, 11:10 PM 5/27/2002]
Old 05-27-2002, 02:10 PM

Default Re: some weird sh|t going on with my car, no idea what is going on with the idle?? (mechanik)

i believe i am. i got it with the motor when i got the motor from GSpeed in california. it had B16A written on it. how can i check if it is the right one or not?
Old 05-27-2002, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a vacume leak........spray some carb cleaner/throttle body cleaner around the IAC valve and see if the engine stumbles when you spray around it.......if it does then you have a leak.
Old 05-27-2002, 06:33 PM

Default Re: some weird sh|t going on with my car, no idea what is going on with the idle?? (non-VTEC)

well i replaced the throttle body gasket and intake gasket and exhaust manifold gasket before i put the new engine in my car. but i'll try that and see what happens.
Old 05-27-2002, 08:15 PM

Default Re: some weird sh|t going on with my car, no idea what is going on with the idle?? (non-VTEC)

yup my car was doing that after my IM swap thought it was a vacum leak but it was not it was the coolant bypass that i thought was better ........did your friend do the coolant bypass around the throttle body that made my car idle like crap cause the coolant was not flowing by a sensor check that out
Old 05-27-2002, 08:49 PM

Default Re: some weird sh|t going on with my car, no idea what is going on with the idle?? (NXTEG)

i have no idea what the hell they did. they had crap here and there and didn't label very many hoses at all. they must have done what you say you did to make your car idle weird. tell me more about your problem and how you fixed it. thanks
Old 05-28-2002, 09:30 AM

theire is a clooant hose that is right under your throttle body......instead of hooking it back up there they just connected it too the pcv hose as a bypass........i had to brng mine to a shop and it only cost like 40 bucks to get it fixed
Old 05-28-2002, 05:23 PM

it could be that ur plug for the iacv isnt really connected since u get the iacv cel! When i unplug my iacv it does what u say where it doesnt rev past 3000 or somethng and fluctuates while idling. You could test the plug and see if there is power going through and check the wire for cuts or improper connection. The thing with bypassing the coolant lines under the throttle body only afftects the idling when the engine is cold so i wouldnt worry much about that.
Old 05-28-2002, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey make sure the TB gasket is on the right way. sometimes people put the TB gakset on wrong even tho it looks like its on the right way.

Same goes for the IACV gasket.....check on that.

... I'm not sure if i read you right, but did you say you tightened the TB screw? if not, you might wanna try that. Reset the ecu too.
Old 05-28-2002, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: some weird sh|t going on with my car, no idea what is going on with the idle?? (Katman)

timing? and dist. cap and rotor. let me know mine is doing the samething and i have yet to have time to check this stuff if i fix mine i'll inform you
Old 05-28-2002, 10:51 PM

Default Re: some weird sh|t going on with my car, no idea what is going on with the idle?? (95gsr)

UPDATES ON ALL YOUR POSTS
MECHANIK - So what exactly is the coolant sensor (not being a smart ***)?? the thermostat or coolant temp sending unit or something else? i would like to try and see if what you say works but nothing in my haynes manual says anything about a coolant sensor.

NXTEG - will be checking out and trying what you recommend maybe tomorrow, if not thursday because i am off thursday. going to take it to my local mechanic to have them check it out for me.

CARCALA - i tried unplugging my IACV, turning on my car, then adjusting the idle screw to see if it went down or anything but nothing happened as i kept unscrewing it so i turned off my car and plugged the IACV back in. but i didn't try resetting the ecu after that. i am resetting the ECU as i speak cuz i heard the battery has to unplugged for a bit to reset it. how do i check to see if power is running through the wire to the IACV plug??

KATMAN - Did check to make sure the gasket was on right because i flipped it over and over and it only fit one way so. i haven't replaced the IACV gasket though, wonder if you can find those o rings for it anywhere? The TB screw was all the way in but i unscrewed it a bunch and it didn't do anything when i tried to turn down the idle. but checking to see if resetting the ECU will work.

95GSR - My motor wouldn't turn over when we first put it in so i took it to the local mechanic and they said they fixed the timing by putting the ignition wires in the right spots on the distributor cap. what they did made my car start so that must mean they put them in the right place. the distributor, cap and rotor are all new.
THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S HELP, PLEASE KEEP THE SUGGESTIONS COMING BECAUSE THIS IDLE IS PISSING ME OFF