Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Some questions regarding exhaust diameter size, and a few other exhaust-related quest

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Some questions regarding exhaust diameter size, and a few other exhaust-related quest

Hello!

Okay, so my car is a 94 Integra LS.

I bought the car and it had no muffler, suprisingly it does not sound "that" bad, however, i am getting tired of having no muffler and i want to change that.

I know you are supposed to have a constant diameter, or increasing (never decreasing) diameter in the exhaust system.

Well, i bought some used DC sports 4-1 one piece headers off a friend ( $40 was pretty awesome, besides, my OEM ones were rusted and had a hole on them) and i did my research and apparently they are OEM size (2 inch where the 4 pipes become one). Now, the car is a 94 so emissions are not a problem. I am thinking about having 60mm piping throught (google says 60mm = 2.36220472 inches)

I found some 60 mm test pipes for ~$60 made by Invidia (https://www.upscaleautomotive.com/p-...tegra-dc2.aspx), and this exhaust that i really want (A'pexi WSII knock off by Yonaka - http://www.tunersports.com/yonaka-ca...002_p3779.html - ) is 60 mm.

Now, my questions are: The test pipe is obviously going to be .36 inches larger in diameter than the outlet of my header, is that going to cause a leak? will it even be an issue? should i try to find a test pipe where the inlet is 2 inches and the outlet is 2.36 (or 60mm)?

Now, question number 2: Now that my headers don't have a heat shield i have noticed my engine bay becomes quite hot. I am thinking about doing a header wrap on my headers just on the top section ( the 4 tubes, stop the wrapping around the radiator fans ) but when i do searches online i find mostly horror stories, and that header wrap causes premature rusting and such.

Also, one of my friends that has a bike was commenting that header wrap (in a bike) can cause the muffler to burn faster.

Now, i thought to myself... "what happens to the o2 sensor then?"

So just wondering a) is it even worth it to do the header wrap? b) will it fry my o2 sensor and c) if i do go with the header wrap ( found some on ebay = http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DEI-2...#ht_500wt_1182 ) should i take off my header and apply it off the car, or can i apply the wrap with the headers still attached to car?

I am quite the novice at this, and also very short in money, so affordable parts are best for me! but thanks for the help!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Some questions regarding exhaust diameter size, and a few other exhaust-related q

Bump?
Old 07-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Some questions regarding exhaust diameter size, and a few other exhaust-related q

Oaky, Iwill bite. this what you do. We all start some where. Lol.....ANYWAY:

Good buy on the header. Buy the dounut for the header. Autozone, napa, orielys, whatever. Stock dounuts will fit the DC header
DO NOT HEADER WRAP. EVER. END OF STORY.
If you live in a state with an emmisions deal, buy a stock cat. If no emmisions in your state, but a megan high flow cat on ebay.
If you want, (I did) buy the yonaka exhaust system, or if you have the money, buy the Apexi WSII exhaust. If you buy the yonaka, it sounds okay but its cheap. Instead of that horrendous axle back, i picked up a 06+Civic Si axle back. Direct bolt on. Sounds super duper.
Your car will now sound bad ***, and you wont have any leaks if you bolted everything thing down woth the supplied gaskets. Total cost: 350-400 dollars. I think......
Old 07-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For your o2 sensor, there should be a port on the header.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dntnedvtec
DO NOT HEADER WRAP. EVER. END OF STORY.
What's wrong with header wrap?
Old 07-13-2011, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For a DD, no. For a race car, sure.

If it gets wet, over time it will header your header alive. I have seen it first hand. MY old DC ceramic coated.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, but that's why you run the engine to make the water evaporate. If it's a daily-driven car, you shouldn't have issues. If it gets wet and you let the engine sit for a month, then you could start to see problems with corrosion.

My cheap header has been wrapped for a year, and it's been fine. I know a year isn't that long, but others have had the same experience for longer. For example: http://www.d-series.org/forums/natur...ythbusted.html

To each his own, but I'll continue wrapping my headers.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wrap my entire exhaust. Heat makes air thinner. The thinner air allows more volume in the same space. This will equate to more flow and flow equals HP. As mentioned above, the water will only be trapped if your wrap stays wet. This is usually the case with poor wrap, hardly ever driven vehicles and exhaust pipe made of shitty metal.

The lower air temps in the engine bay will help big time. The difference in pipe diameter will not. Anytime you create turbulation in the exhaust air stream, you will be restricting flow. Try to mate all connections with smooth transitions for the best result. As for sound, thats your objection. Research different brand sound clips on youtube.