Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Short Shifter is buzzing like a bitch!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Shifter is buzzing like a bitch!

I got the B&M short shifter for my car. Its the non race stainless steel version with the "s" bend for the EK/EM civi (w/ b16a2 tranny-engne). I also got energy suspension shifter bushings. We installed the shifter and bushings and everything went fine. It shifts great, very short and positive shifts.

problem is above 60MPH or under hard acceleration from any speed, the shifter vibrates against someting and is VERY annoying. When im on it in 1st it sounds like my damn canter console is going to blow up! If i hold the shifter with my hand and slightly push it towards the gear it is in (eg up and to the right in 5th gear) it stops. If I let go it comes back on again. Does anyone have ANY ideas as to help remedy this problem? Thanks, Im going insane here!
Old 01-16-2005, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Short Shifter is buzzing like a bitch! (JoeB18R)

its probably on backwards. You know, that's the jdm way
Old 01-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i won a skunk2 dual bend on clubcivic.com, and it does the same thing. It is the short shifter hitting on the exhaust piping, or on the head shield of the cataylic converter. More than likely though, it is the shift linkage hitting the exhaust, cause remember when you were installing it, the bottom portion is longer so your shift linkage was sitting lower? You can remedy it by bending a heat shield or bending one of your hangers down so the exhaust hangs lower.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Re: (PhoebeusFenix)

actually i no longer have a cat. while we installed the shifter we also installed an RS*R cat-back and test pipe. so no cat or hear shield are there.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: (JoeB18R)

It's probably hitting the exhaust like the previous poster mentioned.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: (sporkcrx)

If you didn't put in the 2 little rubber band looking gaskets at the bottom of the shifter then it will viberate like that also.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: (jason190)

no, that did get pulld and replaced wih the B&M ones that were supplied.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:00 PM

I have had this problem with a lot of cars. when you install the short shifter it is extending the length below the pivot making the shift linkage sit lower and when you install an exhaust it will have bigger pipping all the way around thus eliminating any space in between the shifter and the exhaust.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Short Shifter is buzzing like a bitch! (orng1)

****. any fix for that?
Old 01-17-2005, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Or you could just get under the car and examine...
Old 01-17-2005, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It could be one of 2 things....

1) The shifter could be hitting your exhaust. Longer exhaust hangers might work for this problem.

2) Loose bolt some place. Recheck all bolts.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:44 AM

just installed my B&M and energy bushings, problem isnt that its hitting the exhaust and i dont have a cat as well (in my case), it seems that there is some play in the shift rod where is connects to the tranny. I havn't had time to pull the shift rod off and see exactly what it is, but when i have time im going to pull off the shift rod boot and see if the clip that covers the spring pin is rattling and see if there is play between the shift rod and tranny where the spring pin is inserted. If anyone figures it out, let me know

thanks
chuck

Old 01-17-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: (00BoostedD16)

im going to get under the car today. ill let you know what I find out.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:43 PM

I could hear a buzzing when I put on my
short shifter and it ended up being the thin
washers on either side. I just put a thin layer
of grease and no more buzzing. Hope this helps
Old 01-17-2005, 01:43 PM

it is rubbing you exhaust plan and simple that or your shift linkage but thats your problem
Old 01-17-2005, 05:51 PM

I have been under the car and i doubt it will be rubbing anyones exhaust even if they had a 3" from the manifold back. If you shake the shifter back and fourth there is a bit of play in it, if i do it fast enough i can replicate the vibrateing sound. At first i thought it was rubbin the exhaust but when i got under there and saw what was going on i noticed the bit of play the linkage has when the car is in gear and out of gear.

Let me know what u guyz come up with

chuck
Old 01-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hopefully this will help.

If you hooked up your linkage/stabilizer bar correctly, there will not be play in your tranny.

It is not hitting your exhaust, it sounds like it is, but anyone who says it is has never been under the car and move the shifter around.

On the stabilizer bar, there is a counter-weight, pretty much right near the 12mm bolt that holds the shifter on the linkage. You cannot miss it. The counterweight balloons out into a cylinder shape. I'll try and get you a picture if you cannot figure it out.

Anyways, long story short, cut this off. Either torch it, or hack it, it takes 5 minutes to hack off, 1 min to torch, this of course if you are experienced with dropping your shift linkage. If not add 5 minutes to each. Leave everything on the tranny connected if you are able to work under the car, if not you can pull the whole thing out. We perform b-series swaps into eg/ek/ef hondas all the time and most of the time this problem occurs in egs.

hope this helps.

jD
Old 01-18-2005, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (projectegr)

Don't cut anything off your shift linkage, it's there for a reason. If you installed everything correctly, your bushing are in good shape and it doesn't hit your exhaust it won't make any noise.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:18 PM

I have 100% ruled out the exhaust, if u go under the car there is way too much clearance. it was my first guess of what the problem was, so i dont blame u guyz for saying it.

JoeB18R did u figure anything out?

stabalizer bar is stiff. The linkage to the tranny when the car is in gear and in nuetral has side to side play, always has had this even with my stock shifter.

i think is why it rattles is because the point of where the ball is (pivot for the shifter) is longer and the shift **** sits lower so it puts the thing more out of balance and more prone to rattling. i hope that makes sense its kinda hard to explain.

im not too worried about it, ill figure it out when im home from school. if anyone has a fix that doesnt involve hacking off a weight let me know.

i would not recomend cutting anything off of your shift linkage expecially a counter weight.

chuck
Old 01-18-2005, 07:13 PM

i9 went under there today, and i cant see it hitting anything. it MIGHT be the heat shield which seperates the chasis' floor and the space in which he exhaust resides, but I still doubt it. Im goign to have to drop the test pipe and look closer... this really sucks.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:58 PM

when ur under there more the linkage to the tranny, and see if you notice the play. in my case i can replicate the vibrating if i move it back and forth fast enough
Old 01-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cutting this counter-weight off was recommended to me by the head mechanic at David McDavid Acura in Austin, Tx. He is a master mechanic and performs swaps out of his house on the side. Not that it matters, but he is the only one allowed to work on NSX's there, but that is beside the point, just trying to show he knows his ****.

If you do not want to cut anything off, start hunting for a stabilizer bar off a b-series that doesn't have the counterweight on it. They are out there, look at the tech photo a few posts up, the stabilizer bar on that one does not have the counterweight.

Do what you feel safe with, but if you cannot figure anything out, you have this option.

Just to make you feel better though, there is someone out there (me), who has completed many swaps which have had this weight cut off, and not ONE car has had a problem in any way. The oldest swap that has had this done was in 2000. So four-five years w/o a problem.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:55 PM

oh ok, well i guess u know ur ****, sorry man. but whats the purpose of the counter weight? and does it through the shifter off balance and causes it to rattle or what?

thanks
chuck
Old 01-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my shifter did the same thing. its not hitting the exhaust it loose on the linkage. what u gotta do it buy some rubber washers and put them between the shifter and the linkage until the shifter is firm in the linkage, but too firm so it wont pivot on it. make sure to the lube the b&m came with on the washers. hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:43 AM

the rubber bushings included takes care of my problem.

Quick Reply: Short Shifter is buzzing like a bitch!