Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Reseting Crankshaft Position Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reseting Crankshaft Position Sensor?

I just finished up doing a timing belt on a 02 Honda civic dx and am getting a cel for the crankshaft position sensor. I didnt drop or knock the sensor into anything but I did unplug the sensor when i was removing the old timing belt & then noticed the manual states not to unplug it so I plugged it back in before turning the car on, but now im getting the cel for it. I tried erasing it with a scanner, but the cel just comes back on. Im hearing that the only way to get rid of the code is to replace it with a new one. Is there any other way to like reset or reprogram the orig sensor to remove the cel w/o having to replace it or will i just have to replace it and that will be it? Thanks.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reseting Crankshaft Position Sensor?

anyone?
Old 03-31-2009, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

retrace your step's
Old 04-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what do you mean retrace my steps? i unplugged the crankshaft position sensor & then reconnected it & now it has the cel code for the crankshaft after everything has been put back together. The car itself runs fine, its just in limpmode because of the cel & wont past 3K & 60mph.

I just dont understand why the code would be thrown if i didnt actually break the sensor physically & the cel wasn't on before & it was plugged in before the car was started again. So did i just pretty much break the sensor itself because i unplugged it? or is there a way to actually reset/recalibrate it?

& if i can't...do i have to do anything to the new sensor before I actually install it or is it simply just...remove old sensor...unplug connector. Install new sensor & reconnect connector? cause it seems like thats the same steps that i would be doing that i did with the original sensor.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a very common problem is when the cover is removed and you reinstall the cover and belts most people forget to put the sensor harness back in place on the cover and the harness always rubs on the alt belt and will cut the wire. happens pretty fast.
that's why i say retrace your step's.
if that's not the case when you installed the position sensor did it drop on the ground and get damaged ? their is a lot of things that could have happened .
is their coolant or oil in the connector ?
Old 04-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ahh. i see what you mean now. the wire & connector is fine. & no the sensor wasnt dropped on the ground & didn't hit anything & physically from what i can see there is no damage on the sensor at all. I haven't tried cleaning the sensor or connector yet so im going to try that & see if it works. Is there I really want to thank you for the help and tips.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sure also may want to test the sensor to make sure its good and their is another issue upstream in the system
drop me a email and i will send you test info a very simple test to see if the sensor is bad or not.
dinotapia@sbcglobal.net
Old 04-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks a lot for the help man. I really appreciate it. So the new sensor finally came in today & before installing the new sensor, I decided to try cleaning the crankshaft position sensor & re installing it to see if it the cel would still come on & so far so good. the CEL is gone & car isn't running in limp mode anymore. im going to hold on returnging the new sensor & Hopefully the CEL stays off for the next two or three weeks.
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if it didn't code up right away you. Should be just fine. Glad all is well with it now.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:35 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 1998 honda accord, it is cranking, but not starting. it has fuel and spark coming but not starting. changed the spark plugs, wires, ignition coil, distributor cap and rotor still no luck please advise. and also how hard is it to change the crank shaft position sensor. please advise. i would really appreciate it. it is lx model with 2.3 litre motor.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:54 AM
Trial User

hi my sister got a honda jazz 1.4 se we renewed the crankshaft position sencor and it just turns over but wont start after we fitted the new crankshaft sencor doe it need re programing
Old 01-06-2019, 01:10 AM
Trial User

hi my sister has a 2002 honda jazz 1.4 se we changed the crankshaft positioning sencor and it turns over but wont start does it need reprograming to get it running again