Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Pros and cons of a lower temp fan switch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 10:32 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pros and cons of a lower temp fan switch?

I may be wrong, but I feel like it's not good for my engine for the radiator fans to not come on until 207 degrees in traffic. I know that it's "safe", but I feel like the engine would last longer and not heat soak as much if the fans came on a bit sooner, like maybe 195, but at the cost of a fraction of 1 MPG. Part of the reason that I am saying this is I feel like the engine idles a little rougher and feels like it's a little less powerful once it heats up from being stuck in traffic. I ordered a Hayden 3653 adjustable fan switch so I can turn the fans on at a lower temperature. My questions are first of all, will I be causing harm by turning the fans on at a little lower temperature, and second, what temp should I turn the fans on at? Thanks.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:06 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: Pros and cons of a lower temp fan switch?

I can say that it's annoying as hell having the fans kick on every 5 seconds for 45 seconds.

I noticed the temp was changed on my tune which has aided in not constantly running fans when sitting idle after a long freeway drive.

I do not know any of the other pro's or con's to the change. With the exception of lowering too much can affect operations by reducing the temperature below optimal operation. I do not know what point that is though. Just that like going to high, you can go to low.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by TomCat39
I can say that it's annoying as hell having the fans kick on every 5 seconds for 45 seconds.

I noticed the temp was changed on my tune which has aided in not constantly running fans when sitting idle after a long freeway drive.

I do not know any of the other pro's or con's to the change. With the exception of lowering too much can affect operations by reducing the temperature below optimal operation. I do not know what point that is though. Just that like going to high, you can go to low.
I'm not bothered by the fans running more often, so that's not an issue. I may be wrong, but I would think that you can't lower the temp too low by installing a lower temp fan switch as long as the thermostat is working properly. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Vtec04
I'm not bothered by the fans running more often, so that's not an issue. I may be wrong, but I would think that you can't lower the temp too low by installing a lower temp fan switch as long as the thermostat is working properly. Thanks for the reply.
I do not believe you are wrong about that.

I was making a general statement that you can take the car operating temperature too low. As for how, I think you nailed it on the head about swapping the thermostat along with the fan thermo switch.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:51 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by TomCat39
I do not believe you are wrong about that.

I was making a general statement that you can take the car operating temperature too low. As for how, I think you nailed it on the head about swapping the thermostat along with the fan thermo switch.
Thanks. I see what you're saying now. I believe in using OEM thermostats, and I have a fairly new OEM Honda thermostat. I agree with you that the engine won't run as efficiently if it is running too cold though.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

The thermostat and the fan switch need to be paired together. If the fan comes on at a LOWER temperature than the thermostat opens... the fan runs longer than necessary, reducing the life of the fan and potentially damaging fan wiring from the voltage heat. Fuses and relays are also at risk. So, in short... if you want to drop the fan switch operating point to below 195'F, you need to get a thermostat with a LOWER opening point than the fan switch.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
The thermostat and the fan switch need to be paired together. If the fan comes on at a LOWER temperature than the thermostat opens... the fan runs longer than necessary, reducing the life of the fan and potentially damaging fan wiring from the voltage heat. Fuses and relays are also at risk. So, in short... if you want to drop the fan switch operating point to below 195'F, you need to get a thermostat with a LOWER opening point than the fan switch.
The thermostat is a 170, so 190 is OK?
Old 10-10-2017, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Vtec04
I may be wrong, but I feel like it's not good for my engine for the radiator fans to not come on until 207 degrees in traffic.
You are.

I applaud you trying to learn,Im not much of a teacher,so I wont go into all the reasons why you are wrong.

If you are experiencing a drivability issue,Id look else where.

Like maybe two fuel injectors wired into one........
Old 10-10-2017, 10:11 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
You are.

I applaud you trying to learn,Im not much of a teacher,so I wont go into all the reasons why you are wrong.

If you are experiencing a drivability issue,Id look else where.

Like maybe two fuel injectors wired into one........
Thank you for your help. I am not having an "issue", and this has been going on since way before I wired the 2 fuel injectors together. The engine just seems to run slightly rougher at idle once it heats up, that's all. It still runs good. So besides gas mileage and slightly more fan motor wear, is it bad for the engine to not heat up as much in traffic? To me, it would seem that since running between 180 and 185 on the highway is fine, running at that temp in traffic would be okay also.