Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

In process of BAR/ Reffing B16b in 98 Cx

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *UPDATED-PASSED*in process of BAR/ Reffing B16b in 98 Cx

So let me start by saying when I put the motor in I used a 99 em1 si dash harness and motor harness , ran it awhile with bolt ons and chipped computer etc.
As of this moment I put a stock header ,running both 02s, catylatic converter, 99 em1 si ecu,stock air box,bypassed the crank sensor, 99 si evap canister,connected the smaller line coming from the fuel tank (hence 98)to a reducer to compensate for the bigger hose coming off the canister), and have the purge valve connected to the other line coming from the evap box

So to my knowledge I thought id be fine but I'm throwing the infamous code PO1457 ,I ran the car with out the purge valve for a week before connecting it since the type r mani doesn't have that extra valve to run the hose off it on top and was throwing the code. Thinking once i connect it id b good but nope. I'm running 91 octane. I reset the ecu and ran for about 20 miles and no CEL ,all moniters complete. Once I hit 60miles damn CEL came back on.
Any help is very much appreciated also for any locals to the Central Valley, do you recomend sacramento or Modesto to reff once I clear this code? Thanx

Last edited by supremeXorio; 01-13-2014 at 03:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Old 12-16-2013, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: In process of BAR/ Reffing B16b in 98 Cx

You cannot BAR a B16B. Do you mean B16A? The B16B was never installed/sold in the U.S., and California doesn't allow any Japanese only offered engines to pass BAR (B16B, ZC, etc.)
Old 12-17-2013, 12:05 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OP, you need to BAR it as a Civic SI. It's functionally the same engine. It uses the integra block but the internals equate to a Civic SI longblock as long as you use the Civic SI ecu. It has to have the same components that a USDM Civic SI has and you'll be good to go.

ps. The JDM "H22a"(only the H22a1 and H22a4 were offered in the US) motor(see my sig) was never offered in the US however I BAR'ed it. This uses the same principle.

Obviously you can't use a tuned ecu when trying to BAR it has to be USDM stock, but I assume you know this.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not again....op just take it to bar and come back and tell us what happend
Old 01-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Iv seen the motor bard before so I wouldn't say its impossible. So my appointment is on Tuesday . Finally got all my monitors ready even after confirming by chp that I'd be ok if I came in with one incomplete. For the record to set my evap monitor I cleaned my spark plugs,change my oil, changed the fuel filter ,and cleaned my o2 sensor.at that point I went 240 miles until the evap monitor set but of course threw the CEL. Once I changed, to the left(looking into the engine bay) of the evap canister the black filter under the battery and swapped the black plastic piece that goes in between the body and sub frame for a 99-00 I did a drive cycle u till all monitors set with no CEL . didnt think that black piece with the orange breather hose would be of such difference since there's no sensors on it but I'm assuming that's what did the trick.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 01-03-2014, 03:56 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

worst case scenario ull have to drive up to san jose or alameda...these guys know their **** and dont just power trip for the sake of power tripping...this **** isnt rocket science
Old 01-03-2014, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
worst case scenario ull have to drive up to san jose or alameda...these guys know their **** and dont just power trip for the sake of power tripping...this **** isnt rocket science
What would be the difference ? Are you just saying if the reffs here in the valley wanted to be dicks , take a drive to San Jose because their more linient in the sence of knowing more ?

Just did my timing,set my idle to normal and am replacing the plugs since I sea foamed my system 2 weeks back.just want the car to b running tip top. I mean the only thing I believe I have to worry about is visual but as you can see above I mean every thing is there .also hopping it blows low nox,maybe I'll add an additive just for the sake of it. Did you use anything extra when going to your appointment? I have my stock cx exhaust connected to the cat, so for my cat to get warm enough I should be ok
Old 01-05-2014, 10:35 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Dunno exactly. I just know what I've read and that is that for some reason people in Socal have been told they can not only not BAR h23a vtec motors and f20b motors because "they were never sold here" but also that they can't even bar any japanese motors (h22a).

It's just silly and plain wrong.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good thing I don't live in so cal . Judgement day is tomorrow at 2:40pm Hopefully modesto reff is having a good day. I'll wear my old lodi police ROP sweater from highschool maybe get some brownie points lol.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok people so good and bad news which do you want first ...
Soo as u can see in my pic I'm running two iac sensors ,one on the intake tube and one on the manifold. Why you ask? Simple ,because I'd thought it'd be cool to use a dummy plug on the intake mani (JDM/fail #1) and pass this way. Since the fuel rail is different I ran the purge under neath it (fail#2). Also ....and I'm kinda upset about it ha. My spoon fan switch on the thermostat kicks on soon,yanno to keep cool but for god know why...the computer sees the fan as staying off(fail#3) -_- blahh.

Good news> I go back Monday
Switch my intake mani for the si one which clears problem one(the intake mani iac is blocked) and two (the purge will be mounted in plain site on top of the USDM fuel rail)
Lesson learned don't take a short cut and think your slick
Also, switch to my stock fan switch.that should do the trick.
In conclusion he said out my Oem switch and b16a2 mani and Monday you'll have your sticker
Old 01-07-2014, 10:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

post a pic for the naysayers when you get the sticker please
Old 01-08-2014, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh most definitly. ^

Update. Switched my spoon fan switch for a stock one ran a snap on scanner and the fan was still reading off when engaged....hmm. Guess I'll put my stock radiator/fan back in.
Perhaps there's a different voltage or something having to do with a resistor that the slim fan is not sending correctly to the ecu idk. Or maybe because I have it in the front of the radiator w pushing instead of wired to pull and having the fan inside where it usually would be.

Last edited by supremeXorio; 01-08-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:51 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

awesome !
Old 01-13-2014, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: In process of BAR/ Reffing B16b in 98 Cx

JUDGEMENT DAY #2:
this afternoon inspection time again

changed back to stock radiator fan and p2t intake manifold(so pvc untampered from the previous "T" splitter,purge valve on top of manifold now and not underneath , and no need for a block off /dummy plug for intake sensor since its already sealed on the manifold runner.

In conclusion visual has been corrected,so if blow good again should be golden

hoping this time goes faster(last appt. 1 1/2 hrs) since a student was with him and was teaching .my boy's only took 15min -_- since it was only the inspector

here waiting patiently. He seems to be in a good mood,"Ready to pass today?"is the first thing he asked me upon arrival

Last edited by supremeXorio; 01-13-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

post a pic for the naysayers when you get the sticker please
Thnx holmesnmanny for believing

YaYea typo on the b16b2 ha but he said im fine. To print another sticker id have to redo the whole inspection ,eff it im legal
here you go naysayers :p

Old 01-14-2014, 12:24 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

sweet, now you give others inspiration
Old 01-14-2014, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sweet, now you give others inspiration
Yay

Oh almost forget to mention. Through out the time trying to get my car ready for inspection I had code po131 and po132 low and high voltage for the 02, To get rid of the 131 I took the o2 out and cleaned it with sea foam and a scotch pad (had build up baked on it) than I heated it up and sprayed the male and female electrical plug ends with electrical cleaner. That than got rid of 131 but gave me po132. I disconnected the plug let dry. Plugged it back in re set code about 3 times within 30 Mins of driving and it never came back. IV done this process twice and it has worked for me. Once after I sea foamed the car.and once after I spilt radiator fluid onto my o2 when replacing my water neck.

Hope this helps anyone out there and as for bar/reffing the motor, hope it gives people the green light to make their jdm swaps legal.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you pass on a usdm ecu?

happy to read your thread!!!

NEVERMIND you did ! thanks

going to try to bar myself thanks

Last edited by edwinie26; 02-24-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by edwinie26
did you pass on a usdm ecu?

happy to read your thread!!!

NEVERMIND you did ! thanks

going to try to bar myself thanks
yes sir. Thnx ha.no problem good luck bro
Old 03-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats on passing. I feel like doing the same swap lol I took my car to the same ref station at the west mjc to bard a jdm d15b and so these jdm swaps are possible. I didn't want to reff cuz it was a single cam which is pointless but I had star smog and didn't want to pay to get done illegaly ended up only paying 8.25 so it was much better than paying 200-500 to get done illegaly.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know this thread is old but it's super useful. I'm going through the same issue but with a b16b in a 95 del sol. The bar site is just helpful enough to not be deemed pointless and some people tend to give options without actually going through the process themselves
Old 05-27-2014, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I failed BAR on my EF in SoCal a few years ago. Inspector said JDM motors are fine, just have to have all USDM emissions controls (ECU, IM, EM, sensors, etc etc).

Couldn't afford the parts at the time, but it's definitely doable.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:02 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1EK1EG
some people tend to give options without actually going through the process themselves
Originally Posted by jdmjunkieXL
not again....op just take it to bar and come back and tell us what happend
Hm.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1EK1EG
I know this thread is old but it's super useful. I'm going through the same issue but with a b16b in a 95 del sol. The bar site is just helpful enough to not be deemed pointless and some people tend to give options without actually going through the process themselves
Ya I work for a salvage yard so parts r somewhat on hand for me pm me your number if u need help I dont mind if u need guidance. But like dude above me its just ecu either bar with p30 or p2t(u need jumper), match the ima and exhaust manifold , both o2, cat, emissions canister, and correct purge valve.itd be eaiser go the p30 route believe u dont need to switch your canister and looks cleaner with no jumper dont forget jump the crank sensor

Quick Reply: In process of BAR/ Reffing B16b in 98 Cx