Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Prelude A/C Nightmare--- long ass read but please do and throw some advice at me---

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Prelude A/C Nightmare--- long *** read but please do and throw some advice at me---

It seems that as soon as I fix one thing with my DD (1992 Honda Prelude)another pops right up.

The A/C stopped working, so I bought a brand new OEM compressor. clutch, dryer online and brought it to the dealer to get it replaced. I went to the dealer beacuse it was just as expensive as everywhere else around here. Maybe south fla A/C shops charge a premium I dont know.

They replaced it all, it was great, yay.

2 Days later I notice the A/C cuts off after 10 minutes of using it. No cold air, and theres a wierd ticking/squeeling sound that sounds like a mis timed belt.

I take it back to the dealer, and according to the dealer them the supposed OEM BRAND NEW (not refurbed) Compressor that I got, has a bad coil that isn't engaging the clutch.

The fix?

www.discountacparts.com --- will send me a replacement over night.

BUT I'm out another $290 that the dealer wants to replace the compressor THAT THEY JUST replaced three days ago.

I understand the dealer can't warranty the parts or labor since its not thier parts, and of course the website isn't gonna pay for labor to replace thier parts, but man it sucks.

So they install the new compressor and the sound is still there though its blowing ice cold.

**** just keeps getting worse and worse...

Despite it seeming to function correctly (the way it did when I first left the dealer)

They inform me that there are still potentiall metal shards in the condensor, beacuse apparently what ever happened to my original compressor (the one I bought the car with, no the one that they first replaced it with) --- something happened and I dont understand the mechanics but they said it basically went through the side of the compressor and all kinds of metal shards went into the system. Something that they never told me about in the first place.

Apparently they blew out all the **** they could and thought they got it all.... but they are now saying, perhaps they didn't get it all? And theres no way to be sure that they did esp since the noise is still there...

So they tell me that since the noise is still present, that they really recommend I replace the condenser cuz theres a chance that the shards can some how return to the compressor and cause the same damage as my first replacement.

So first thing I'm thinking is why didn't they tell me this in the first place? Chances are there was nothing wrong with that first compressor/coil I brought into them, but it was thier half assed work (not cleaning the system, or at the very least telling me the condenser needed to be replaced too) that caused a need for a 2nd new condensor, and the $250 in labor to do it the 2nd time. Does anyone have any experiience with A/C systems to explain this to me? Should I bother bitching about this?? I just feel that if someone had told me that replacing hte condenser was potentially necessary, I would have spent $350 extra, instead of $600 extra at this point.

So now they want $250 for a new condenser, and $250 to install said new condenser.

I ordered a new condenser from autozone to save $100 bucks, but we're still adding $400 to the overall replacement costs of it - $150 condenser, $250 labor for condenser

So at this point, I've spent $1700 on a new AC system.... and heres the kicker! --- They tell me that even after replacing the condenser, compressor/coil/clutch, that there is a small possibility that there could still be metal in the EXPANSION VALVE which is located under the dash.

Expansion valves aren't expensive, infact I already bought one thinking they'd replace it when replacing the system, not knowing that it was located underneath the dash.... according to them, to replace it, they need to remove the dashboard. Which of course is somewhere in the neighborhood of $300-$400 in labor.

So either I take the chance and hope it'll be okay, potentially having to replace everything again if the metal shards tear through the system even with the new parts... And at that, I have no idea what costs it would be to do it. Labor for all new install, plus parts, probably another 2 grand.

OR I have them do the expansion valve, add another $300-$400 to the bill and just hope that there isn't addition to the story in a week and everything goes well.... that of course ill push the bill to about 2 grand total.

Which at this point its safe to say is about what the whole car is worth in and of itself.

Now I dont plan on ever selling this car, and it is my DD, and I live in South Fla, so I NEED my A/C. So I dont consider it money down the drain, but at the same time potentially $1700 - $2050 for an A/C repair that was supposed to cost me $800 (intial quote for install + parts)--- its hard to swallow.

If you took the time to read all this I really appreciate it, but I could use some advice... do I bitch about the shards screwing up the 1st replacement compressor/coil? Do I suck the cost up while Im' at all this and just have them replace the expansion valve too, or is it worth taking the risk???

PLEASE ADVISE!

TIA!

Pic of expansion valve-- such a small shitty little piece, i mean how much metal can really be clogged in it?? I mean I guess there could be stuff in it, but any advice? anyone know A/C systems reall well?

Last edited by starbai; 04-17-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Prelude A/C Nightmare--- long *** read but please do and throw some advice at me-

Sorry to hear about your luck. Im afraid what they are telling you is true. I am going through the EXACT same situation, but from the technician side of things...

When A/C compressors fail, they can and sometimes do contaminate the rest of the system. Metal from inside the failing compressor mixes with the oil and circulates throughout when your A/C is on. By only removing one part of the system, you cannot guarantee that the rest of the system isnt still contaminated. Think of it as like your engine spinning a rod bearing...You drain the metallic flaky oil, but leaving the filter,refilling with oil, and hoping for the best...

I am dealing with a 2004 Cayenne Turbo with 4 zone climate control. The A/C compressor was replaced 28k miles ago. Now the 2nd A/C compressor has failed prematurely.After removal, a grey liquid poured out. This liquid is pulverized metal contaminated pag oil... After a little research, it was discovered that ONLY the compressor was replaced last time...
Now it needs not only a new compressor,but a new condenser,evaporators,expansion valves,and a pressure switch.
AND....All the ac lines must be disconnected and FLUSHED OUT. It is the ONLY way to completely clean out the entire A/C system. Condensers and evaporators should also be replaced as they are not easy to flush out...
Do it right or you might have to do it again...