Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

port matched intake silicone coupler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default port matched intake silicone coupler?

is there a name for it?

like the stock intake tube that has an edge which slides to the throttle body opening edge and makes an even diameter with the TB intake?

all the silicone aftermarket hoses don't seem to have that
Old 11-08-2017, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: port matched intake silicone coupler?

I can't understand very well what you are up to do but....

You can match 2 surfaces (like inlet manifold and engine head) by making a thin permanite gasket to the one part (ie inlet).

You can use also after the gasket you have just made.

This is how you can make the gasket:

u can use green 2mm flexible permanite paper, or just gasket paper if the surfaces are perfectly milled

I have seen quite a lot of power gain with this "matching process".
Old 11-08-2017, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 11-09-2017, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not sure of the official term, but K-tuned makes a velocity coupler that removes the step/lip you get when you connect a silicone coupler to the throttle body. But the one they sell is specific to a 3" intake connecting to the stock 62.5mm throttle body from a k series, they also have some options for connecting j series throttle bodies from a 3.5" intake.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh i see.

i dont see a point at doing that. you can use aluminium tig ac/dc (not the 80s band) to weld the pipes perfectly matched.

or if you don't want to weld just use any silicone hose and grind the pipe edges to minimize air flow restriction.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

turbomaniac what about the throttle body matching to the intake tube?

pretty much what civic said. is there another way to make it since ktuned is only making one size?

on b series I had the tube exact diameter because I bought aftermarket throttle body and it matched perfect. but on tsx stock TB is 63mm and the aftermarket tube is like 70 or 76mm I forgot.

it would be pointless to have the TB portmatched to manifold and have 3 mismatched pipes in the intake tube
Old 11-09-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzysig
it would be pointless to have the TB portmatched to manifold and have 3 mismatched pipes in the intake tube
As it would be just as pointless to have them exactly matching. As long as they are not reduced going into the throttle body, 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. It's not going to shatter the world as an intake, even in conjunction with other parts.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it is at the moment it goes from like 76mm to 63mm with the throttle body edge

I did a dyno test on my own car with 4 different intakes (b series not k)
from basic mismatched ebay SRI to custom length staggered intake with v stack + whale ***** and filter mounted on throttle body
filter mounted on tb was the weakest powerband but a very nice throttle response and a spike at the throttle opening followed by weak sauce powerband from mismatched ebay SRI then whale ***** having a major power dip after vtec and finally a very nice power band with custom intake that was port matched
overall gained about 3-4tq before vtec and 7-9tq after vtec compared to filter mounted on TB
then a week later I actually flanged out the tubes to have no ridges so they transition smoothly from v stack to big pipe to smaller pipe and actually matched the tube to throttle body
afr in vtec went from 12.6 to almost 14afr so it was pulling a lot more air in and actually popped into positive air pressure for a very short moment around 6-7k
Old 11-09-2017, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

where do you guys buy custom intake tube pieces to build your own?
I'm a bit ocd. I know its overkill but if you are OCD it doesn't matter. I will have nightmares about it until its done perfectly
that's why you always see me asking about details that most people don't bother with.
my car can look like **** but my engine bay is always show quality
a lot of times I end up cleaning other people's engine bay because it bothers me
Old 11-09-2017, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I get my aluminum & stainless tubing, exhaust flanges,etc... from Columbia River Mandrel Bending. They were recommended to me by a friend and so far I have no complaints, I have compared their aluminum 16 gauge to "Ebay" 16 gauge and not only is it lighter, it also took more to bend it, ding it, etc...

Depending on what size tube you are using and same for the throttle body, there can end up being a nearly flush fit between the throttle body and intake tube. I have messed around with a few different variations, but in the end every car is different, so if you want to squeeze out every last ounce of power you will have to keep building intakes till you find the one that makes the most & works best with your set up.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i made adjustable length lol used it on 3 cars already. by coincidence had same size throttle body
except this tsx. so im making one for this car right now but want it to look good too
i used a 4" diameter acetone can so it looks super ghetto but does the job well
Old 11-09-2017, 07:25 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

from basic mismatched ebay SRI to custom length staggered intake with v stack + whale ***** and filter mounted on throttle body
filter mounted on tb was the weakest powerband but a very nice throttle response and a spike at the throttle opening followed by weak sauce powerband from mismatched ebay SRI then whale ***** having a major power dip after vtec and finally a very nice power band with custom intake that was port matched
overall gained about 3-4tq before vtec and 7-9tq after vtec compared to filter mounted on TB
then a week later I actually flanged out the tubes to have no ridges so they transition smoothly from v stack to big pipe to smaller pipe and actually matched the tube to throttle body
afr in vtec went from 12.6 to almost 14afr so it was pulling a lot more air in and actually popped into positive air pressure for a very short moment around 6-7k
Again, it's the difference between the dyno and actual utility. Just because it's on paper doesn't necessarily translate to one's driving style. . I guess for me, the function is in the form itself. When it's clean (maintained) its just a bonus.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO the simpler and straighter (not curved) is the intake pipe before throttle the more air flow you get. But than again its not that important. High flow polished interior aluminium pipe at about 10-15% larger than throttle external dia will be ok. As far as pipe-throttle connection, a silicone same dia with the pipe hose can be used, but as short as it can be (silicone makes more air turbulance than polished aluminium pipe). Again the edges of throttle can be slightely grinded for better flow and the hose's clamp must be put as close to the pipe as it can be (better to use 2 clamps at throttle side, or one wide). Narrowing or widing dia must be avoided. If the filter has too wide dia it is better to be used a dia reducer as far away as it can be from throttle.

The most crucial thing in my opinion is that the air filter should have a ram-air design, so that it can be feeded constantly with cold air. This is more important than induction shape, lenght, material, etc.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As flow goes. Small to big is o.k. big to small, not so much. If its a little off, and you want to get picky, you can flare, or taper the i.d. of the smaller.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

found one on ebay for 10 bucks looks better thant beat up blue silicone.
are there any articles on intake tube design?
like the difference between curved evenly all the way through vs sharper bend on one end and straight after that?
i only found some limited info about the diameter
Old 11-16-2017, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just googled "whale *****", and it looks nothing like what people call that pipe thing. It actually looks more like a really big **** *****. Anywho, your pipe is creating velocity, and directional flow. You already know right. Those small ridges do almost nothing. The hoses are "matched". Don't want to create another market but golf ball dimples all over the pipe would probably do more. If I were that picky about butt connections, I would probably just butt it up, and put a wrap of gorilla tape on it, than slide the hose over that, and clamp it. Maybe put one in the middle. I cannot imagine it would make a difference.

Last edited by Doodasi; 11-16-2017 at 06:24 PM. Reason: More