Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Opinions needed: Use of the Skunk2 70mm Alpha Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions needed: Use of the Skunk2 70mm Alpha Throttle Body

Does anyone else have the skunk2 70mm alpha throttle body? Know anything about their reputation?
Been having unsolvable tps issues all the sudden and wondering if I went back to stock TB (with fitv) would it fix my problems. (even though I have the pro mani too and they look so great together).
Just at my wits end here and about to replace/calibrate my 3rd sensor tomorrow with no luck im sure. Running out of money and patients quick!

any info at all is greatly appreciated

'95 civic z6
Old 08-08-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Opinions needed: Use of the Skunk2 70mm Alpha Throttle Body

The Alpha has a much better reputation than the Billet series, and does quite well regardless of whether or not you're using a Naturally Aspirated setup or a Forced Induction setup. However, it will not solve TPS issues. No TB can do that. You need to recalibrate or replace the TPS as these Throttle bodies do not come with another TPS.

You can attack your TPS after installation, but I suggest that you do that before you install, as you'll need that calibration (a nice volt-meter will help) when you put the new Throttle body on.

Here's the instructional video for it.

Standard Video showing the types of TB available. The Alpha is really the simplest one to use.

*Note* At 2:32 to 2:40 of this video, you'll need a voltmeter to calibrate the TPS, assuming that it worked fine in the stock TB. If it's not, solve your TB issue first, then switch.

@5:21 of this video, Dr. Charles goes into how to check ohm reading on your voltmeter to compare. Ignore that this may be a Billet Throttle body. Test is the same.

More on TPS adjustment and setting.

You should be good to go here after seeing all these. Good luck to you.!
Old 08-08-2017, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
The Alpha has a much better reputation than the Billet series, and does quite well regardless of whether or not you're using a Naturally Aspirated setup or a Forced Induction setup. However, it will not solve TPS issues. No TB can do that. You need to recalibrate or replace the TPS as these Throttle bodies do not come with another TPS.

You can attack your TPS after installation, but I suggest that you do that before you install, as you'll need that calibration (a nice volt-meter will help) when you put the new Throttle body on.

Here's the instructional video for it.

Standard Video showing the types of TB available. The Alpha is really the simplest one to use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcKLEFrkkeg

*Note* At 2:32 to 2:40 of this video, you'll need a voltmeter to calibrate the TPS, assuming that it worked fine in the stock TB. If it's not, solve your TB issue first, then switch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3s9b7MQi78

@5:21 of this video, Dr. Charles goes into how to check ohm reading on your voltmeter to compare. Ignore that this may be a Billet Throttle body. Test is the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukPoe5E4Fqg

More on TPS adjustment and setting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrB7Dau4X-M

You should be good to go here after seeing all these. Good luck to you.!
Thank you so much for the info. I was actually working on it most of the day but with some success this time!
Kept the Alpha on and replaced the sensor for the second time but this time I got a Dorman brand with a warranty rather than the cheapest option on eBay and it seems to have solved my check engine light issue! After weeks and weeks I can finally get into higher rpms with no stumbling and a smooth idle.

I also adjusted the Throttle Stop Screw with the IACV unplugged to where it was just about to cut off the engine then I plugged it back in and backed my intake idle adjustment screw out a half turn for a steady idle and now it seems much better.

but was wondering, what exactly is the closed throttle reading supposed to be? I've heard .45, .48-.49, .50.. I have it at .48 now closed and WOT is actually closer to 5...is this ok?
how can the WOT reading be adjusted?

thanks again for the advice and links, it's been so bad for so long.. the absence of that light coming on in vtec brought a single tear to my eye haha
Old 08-08-2017, 04:20 PM

I've only gone by the OEM ohms readings before changing the TB (like in Charles's video). There's no one specific number that is optimal. It's dependent upon the reading at the time of the install of the OEM. You may have to use your Engine management software to assist you there..
Old 08-09-2017, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am running the 70mm alpha on my EM1 with a skunk2 ultra street and I have had no issues so far. It has only been on the car for a few months and a few hundred miles. Literally all I had to do after bolting it on was just set the tps and then reset the calibration in s300. I set it at .49-.50v closed (kept bouncing around on me) and 4.45v open (this is as close as I could get it to 5). When I calibrated it in s300, it read 0% closed and 99% open. Even on the stock ecu those specs worked just fine when I took it info for my emissions test.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1999 Civic Si
I am running the 70mm alpha on my EM1 with a skunk2 ultra street and I have had no issues so far. It has only been on the car for a few months and a few hundred miles. Literally all I had to do after bolting it on was just set the tps and then reset the calibration in s300. I set it at .49-.50v closed (kept bouncing around on me) and 4.45v open (this is as close as I could get it to 5). When I calibrated it in s300, it read 0% closed and 99% open. Even on the stock ecu those specs worked just fine when I took it info for my emissions test.
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately all I have access to is a multimeter though lol gets the job done I guess but your way sounds so much easier.
it is a solid .50 closed though? Can't seem to get WOT dialed in right and about to launch this throttle stop screw into the woods!..its coming along though. Second TPS replacement really seemed to make a difference and got rid of the light. Now I'm just trying to fine tune..
Is your air idle screw (big flat head on TB) all the way screwed in?
Old 08-11-2017, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ratchetej1
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately all I have access to is a multimeter though lol gets the job done I guess but your way sounds so much easier.
it is a solid .50 closed though? Can't seem to get WOT dialed in right and about to launch this throttle stop screw into the woods!..its coming along though. Second TPS replacement really seemed to make a difference and got rid of the light. Now I'm just trying to fine tune..
Is your air idle screw (big flat head on TB) all the way screwed in?
Well the right way to do it is to set the voltage/ohms to what they are suppose to be stock. I just had to re calibrate it in Hondata S300 because my tune was for my other throttle body & I forgot to check the tps setting prior to removal. I did my best to get mine to .5v closed and I read online and was told having WOT just under 5v isn't going to be the end of the world, just make sure your closed voltage is in the correct range. My air idle screw is close to being flush with the outside of the throttle body, I would have to look at it again to be sure. It idles at around 800rpm on my stock ecu and about 900rpm on s300 (idles better here), I didn't touch the idle air screw or throttle stop on mine.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by 1999 Civic Si
Well the right way to do it is to set the voltage/ohms to what they are suppose to be stock. I just had to re calibrate it in Hondata S300 because my tune was for my other throttle body & I forgot to check the tps setting prior to removal. I did my best to get mine to .5v closed and I read online and was told having WOT just under 5v isn't going to be the end of the world, just make sure your closed voltage is in the correct range. My air idle screw is close to being flush with the outside of the throttle body, I would have to look at it again to be sure. It idles at around 800rpm on my stock ecu and about 900rpm on s300 (idles better here), I didn't touch the idle air screw or throttle stop on mine.
Exactly. It's not the number itself that is important, but the calibration of the stock TPS that worked on the OEM setting by way of the voltmeter. Go by the voltmeter settings first. If changes need to be made, only then would you need to go by the software as 1999 Civic SI stated.

The multimeter should work fine. Don't overthink it.