Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

NEED help Solving This Problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED help Solving This Problem!!!

Earlier in January I installed Buddy Club Spec 4 cams, along with Buddy Club P1 Valve springs and Cam gears into my GSR.

After we installed them in the head i bolted down everything and tried turning the cam in the head. the cam was very difficult to turn but it would turn as the lobe pushes the rockers downand when it was past the peak the cam sould snap close. I figured it was since the valve springs are suppose to be race springs. How ever i made a few phone calls and heard that is may be that way since the springs are stiffer.

so i figured that was the problem. Anyway i bolted on the head and tried turning the crank by hand and it was really difficult. almost to the point that it felt like it didnt want to turn. but it did. Double checked everything and few hours later i started the car and i didnt want to idle, but i knew that it needed remapping. and so it was, We tuned the hondata the car ran fine.

Until the timing belt started to slacken off. i found it weird but retightened it non the less. Few days later the belt got so slack that it jumped the intake gear and bent few valves. Bought new valves, new tensioner and new belt. installed and set back up. and drove the car and be belt slackened off all over again. retightened and drove less than 10 mins, and got out and touched the belt and it was slack.

Over the last week we tried every thing to figure out why the belt keeps slackening, to the point that we decided to undo everything done to the car over the last few weeks, reinstalled the stock cam gears, tried again, and vola- slack, reinstalled the stock cams, turned the engine by hand and once again slack, the only thing we havent done was reinstall the stock valve springs. My mechanic friends is sure that the springs are too stiff and causing too much vibration on the cam and transfering to the belt and the belt slackens off.

Any one ever have a problem like this after installing Buddy Club Valve springs, cams and cam gears?
Shoud the cam turn relatively easy in the head with out it snapping ?
What would cause the belt to slacken ?
The tensioner bolt is still tight when i undo it?
I need a solution, it is really depressing, so far 4 different mechanics checked it out and dont know what the problem is.
Any help is really needed, sorry for the long post just wanted to give as much detail as possible
Old 02-03-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: NEED help Solving This Problem!!! (eg6madness)

the only was a belt gets slack is if tensioner is moving somehow.. or if u have adj cam gears and they are turning slightly or if belt stretches.. but usually it will rip before it will stretch.