Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

MSD Coil and Ignitor problems with AEM EMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD Coil and Ignitor problems with AEM EMS

So Ive searched the AEM EMS forums and found this to be a problem but the only solution that was posed was to check the coil dwell wizard which I've done 1000x. It also seems like some have the problem and some have never had any problems with the exact same setups.

I have an AEM EMS 30-1000 running a MSD distributor cap with the blaster SS external coil.

The problem:
After I installed the AEM EMS, my oem coil went out a few weeks later and I replaced it with a Blaster SS by MSD. The blaster coil didn't last long and quickly died. I replaced it and replaced my spark plug wires which seemed to fix the problem. I was having problems with the ignitor now and decided to replace it and the plugs. It then ran much better until I took it on the freeway. Crusing at around 4000rpm, the coil went out due to, what Im guessing was too much heat.

It seems like coil dwell settings are too high but the AEM techs think that they're fine and some people aren't having any problems. I have another new coil and ignitor to try but I have to get it right this time. I'm going to double check my grounds tonight but other than that I have no other ideas.

Anyone seen this problem before? Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!