Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

LS/VTEC and Remote Oil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS/VTEC and Remote Oil Filters

I was talking cars with my uncle today, and the subject of LS/VTEC came up. If you want to know, I drive a 93 LS. It has 130k miles, and was babied before I picked it up a few months ago. I'm always bench racing / engine building in my head, and we were talking about LS/VTEC and how you have to drill the block for the oil send line for the new VTEC head. My uncle had what sounded to me like an epiphany.

Why can't you just run a remote oil filter with stainless steel braided lines, tee off the line after the filter, send one end to the head, and the other back to the block through the remote filter mount like you normally do? This way you don't have to tap the block for oil. This solves several problems: you no longer have to pull the engine to drill it for oil, and it allows you to easily return the block to stock form if the need arises.

Has anyone else thought of this? Perhaps tried it? I figure the SS braided lines should stable enough at normal oil pressure (30-60 psi), and hell, the remote filter kit is cheap and would be much easier to service than the stock filter location, LS/VTEC or not. Thoughts? Opinions?
Old 06-20-2003, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: LS/VTEC and Remote Oil Filters (Sylverius)

golden eagle makes a vtec conversion sandwich plate ...so you don't have to drill the block