Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

A little wiring help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little wiring help!!

Ok, i have a little problem that for some reason i cant seem to get my head around.

I am trying to bypass the key ignition (car is a track car only, security is not an issue), so that the ignition barrel and key can be removed from the car.

So, i was trying to devise my "system" thinking that i would need to effectively mimic the function of the key in its various positions....right?

so, i have 2 flip switches, for IGN 1, and IGN 2, and a momentary switch for IGN 3, or in other words, to crank the engine.

Before i started cutting....(yes i have i know...) i tested the voltage at each position on the key to work out which was which.

I suppose my initial question is, can it be done this way? I have also noted that there are 2 small wires also going to the barrel at the key end, are these the start signal wires? the information or schematics for this area on the net seem to be minimal, for good reason i suppose as it would essentially tell you how to hotwire the car...but i cant seem to even do that...I would make a **** thief.

Can anyone help me out? even a basic diagram of how it could be rigged up given the 2 switches and momentary switch i mentioned? The car for reference is a 1998 UKDM EJ9 OBD2a

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It is very possible to do what you want to do. I wired up a push start in my car a couple months ago, albeit still need key in for security.
I'm eventually looking to get either a proximity remote or key pad and doing away with the key.

I'm at work right now, so i don't have any diagrams on hand, but basically, you want to disable the steering lock, then so the switches for key 1, key 2, then have the power for key 2-on give power to the start button/switch.

That way you can have accessory only (key 1), and only be able to start car if key 2.

As long as you use the existing ignition wires in the same fashion they are already wired, you should be fine

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 09-04-2016, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A little wiring help!!

I'd really like to hear how this turned out...
I would also really like to see an ignition schematic. Can't believe it is so hard to find info on my ej9.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this
How to fit a starter button

How to replace the ignition switch or troubleshoot (Honda, Acura)

Does it help?
could post you the shematics of your car but in Spanish.
cheers.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:56 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

MM&Y of car would help. the two small leads are most likely for "key sense". Honda wiring.
White is 12V+, [hot at all times] must go to one side of any/all toggle switch(s).
Black/white is starter lead must go to other side of one of the toggle switches, [momentary switch].
Black/yellow is ign,1must go to other side of another switch , [on/off switch].
Yellow is acc. for heater/blower not needed if your not using the heater, if you are than it goes to other side of a toggle switch, on/off switch] it may also be a 2nd ign. on some Honda/Acura and then would be needed, either on it's own toggle switch or along with the ign. 1 lead, [black/yellow] the two can be connected together.
If it is 2nd ign. the then the white/black would be the ACC.
Really need the MM&Y of car and if it is auto or 5 speed. 94