Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Input shaft bearing, pilot bearing, or throw out bearing ??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 10:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input shaft bearing, pilot bearing, or throw out bearing ??????

Ok guys i really need your help. I sold my b16 tranny about a month and a half ago and upgraded to an 01 itr tranny with 28k miles. Ever since the tranny was swapped i hear a whining noise when I am driving. I only hear the noise if im going like 25mph or over. If it would get louder and quieter at times while driving. If i push the clutch in the noise just about goes away, you cant hear a slight noise maybe from it. or if the car is in neutral costing you cant hear it at all maybe a tiny bit. and when driving the noise would flow with the bumps... I cant figure out what it is, neither can anyone else thats been in my car.. This is driving me insane !!!!!!!!!!!! over a month already i got a little money to get something fixed so Im really hoping somone can help me out and leme know what they beleive it is and why.. thanks alot..

btw the tranny shifts fine and drives fine, and i just replaced the axles this weekend and still got the noise.. any help would be aprreciated.. thanks
Old 02-24-2005, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Input shaft bearing, pilot bearing, or throw out bearing ?????? (eg6turb0)

check the operation of the shift fork - remove the 'boot' from the slave cylinder and check visual operation by having someone push/release clutch pedal

Old 02-24-2005, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Input shaft bearing, pilot bearing, or throw out bearing ?????? (senpai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by senpai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check the operation of the shift fork - remove the 'boot' from the slave cylinder and check visual operation by having someone push/release clutch pedal

</TD></TR></TABLE>

not knocking ur response but i have a cable tranny y1 and have the exact problem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6turb0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ever since the tranny was swapped i hear a whining noise when I am driving. I only hear the noise if im going like 25mph or over. If it would get louder and quieter at times while driving. when driving the noise would flow with the bumps...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn that looks like me explaining the noise I have... I think its the throw out, you hear the whine mostly on the parkway, i hate it so annoying, mine also sounds a little weird at slow speeds when creeping through my RPMS....
that sound familiar??
Old 02-24-2005, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Input shaft bearing, pilot bearing, or throw out bearing ?????? (eg6turb0)

It sounds like a bearing in the transmission, like the differential bearing. The throw-out bearing would make noise when you push the clutch pedal in. A pilot bearing or input shaft bearing on the mainshaft would make noise if you were in neutral (this is what my GSR is doing). It sounds like it may be a differential bearing or perhaps countershaft bearing because it is only making the noise when you are driving. I threw in some GM Synchromesh oil into my transmission and it really quieted down my input shaft bearing so you might want to try that out.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Input shaft bearing, pilot bearing, or throw out bearing ?????? (thatbluecrx)

yes, but he has a hydro tranny ... and it's newer so (not that there isn't a chance) less chance of input shaft bearing being bad

I have a 90 SI with 270k miles and the input shaft bearing is bad, one day it's going to just stop

Anyways, it's always easier to check the easy stuff
Old 02-24-2005, 11:28 AM

sounds like the throw out bearing.

Brandon
Old 02-24-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Re: (jerseybrandon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jerseybrandon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like the throw out bearing.

Brandon</TD></TR></TABLE>

How? The noise goes away when he pushes in the clutch and that is the only time the throw out bearing is spinning.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Honda Hick)

it can be the throwout bearing not situated on the fork correctly because he said it happened right after he swapped the tranny in.

it's happened to me before because i had a person install mine wrong
Old 02-24-2005, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Honda Hick)

I believe the T-O bearing is lightly resting on the PP fingers, so it's always spinning. The bearing can get a bit loose & rattly, then it quiets down when it's loaded.

But that still doesn't fit. If it was the T-O bearing, it would make the noise in neutral with the car stopped, when the clutch is engaged.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:40 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (JimBlake)

I have No noise when its idling or just sitting there. there is no noise when im driving under like 20mph... after that there is a slight whining noise that get louder and quieter at times. when im going about 40 and i put in in 4th or 5th its the loudest. when i push the clutch in i can hear it very faintly also if i throw it in neutral. no noise when im shifting and the tranny drives fine. Not only is is unbeleivably annoying, I dont know if its gona mess anything up. Also I hardly got any money to fix this problem, So id rather really know what it is before i start replacing and pulling things out. thanks for your help in advance
Old 02-25-2005, 07:02 AM

Default Re: (eg6turb0)

i have the same thing, been driving over 20k with it, idk if its going to hurt something else but you never know,

bump for you cause i have the same problem ....

i almost thought it might be a exhaust note for a while..
Old 02-25-2005, 12:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (thatbluecrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thatbluecrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have the same thing, been driving over 20k with it, idk if its going to hurt something else but you never know,

bump for you cause i have the same problem ....

i almost thought it might be a exhaust note for a while..</TD></TR></TABLE>its driving me crazyyyyyyyyyy !!!! i dont even like driving the car now because of that noise.. Bump because i need someone to know what this problem is !!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 06:36 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Come on guys i cant stand driving i HATE this noise its driving me crazy !!!!!! helpp what is it
Old 02-26-2005, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It goes with road speed, but it almost goes away when you push the clutch in? What if you leave the clutch engaged (pedal out) but match the throttle so you're not applying power or braking. Just making the engine follow along without loading the final drive. Maybe the ITR differential or final drive is just louder than your old tranny.

How about all the rubber boots & stuff around the shifter? You'd be surprised how much road noise you get if you leave that stuff off.

For me, I feel like I'm guessing blindly, since I can't hear it firsthand.
Old 02-26-2005, 01:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The latest news !! ok guys i took it to a local shop (one6) both guys drove it.. alex said possibly diff bearing.. and mark said the tranny sounds fine, he opened the hood up and looked around some things and said he thinks its the timing belt too tight and its making that whining noise???? what u guys think ?
Old 02-26-2005, 11:20 PM

Does it change at all if you are turning? ie. loading or unloading one side of the diff.

Brandon
Old 02-27-2005, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it was the timing belt you'd notice the change when you coast & the engine drops to idle. You said that doesn't change the noise?
Old 02-27-2005, 10:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimBlake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it was the timing belt you'd notice the change when you coast & the engine drops to idle. You said that doesn't change the noise?</TD></TR></TABLE> there is a change when i am coasting in neutral than when im driving the noise just about goes away its so faint. but when im drivin or on the gas il hear the noise
Old 02-27-2005, 10:13 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimBlake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just making the engine follow along without loading the final drive. </TD></TR></TABLE>

do you hear it most when in 5th gear holding speed?
thats when i hear my whine the clearest...
Old 02-27-2005, 12:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thatbluecrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you hear it most when in 5th gear holding speed?
thats when i hear my whine the clearest...</TD></TR></TABLE> ya i do hear it the worst in 5th gear going about 60km. it kinda makes sense that its the timing belt. that was messed with also when i swapped out the tranny. i swapped out the itr cams for gsr cams for turbo.. now the timing belt is too tight i guess and supposedly thats the noise.. well find out this week when i get a change to loosen it.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:12 AM

is that why I hear the whine too???...

by the way, is that going to snap sooon???
Old 02-28-2005, 10:04 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thatbluecrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

is that why I hear the whine too???...

by the way, is that going to snap sooon??? </TD></TR></TABLE> i dont know. mine is really tight and i read ur supposed to have 1" deflection. i dont have that at all.. so hopefuly i can get to it tomorow or today
Old 03-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6turb0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> an 01 itr tranny with 28k milesnoise..</TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe more like 128k, the noise is your mainshaft bearing sometimes is the countershaft, BTW the release bearing is always in contact with the pressure plate on Hydro tranny's.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Input shaft bearing, pilot bearing, or throw out bearing ?????? (Qfactor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Qfactor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe more like 128k, the noise is your mainshaft bearing sometimes is the countershaft, BTW the release bearing is always in contact with the pressure plate on Hydro tranny's. </TD></TR></TABLE>sorry but im friends from who i bought it from and i know the miles on the tranny guy. the timing belt is tight as hell. thats the problem. didnt even think about that