Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

idle drops when let off gas in neutral or push clutch in

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 09:26 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: idle drops when let off gas in neutral or push clutch in

I had a very similar problem with a 2003 Civic LX. The engine would drop to around 300 rpms while coming to a stop after the clutch was depressed. The engine would stumble and then return to around 500 rpms. At start up the engine would idle fine. Even though it ran a little rough it never died as a result of the rpm drop.

I thought possibly the IACV or EGR were causing the problem. After a little research I found comments that air in the cooling system could lead to idle issues on Honda's. The radiator had been replaced the month prior to the issue developing. At the time I used a funnel system to fill the radiator and ran the engine at 2000 rpms for several minutes to remove trapped air.

I decided to make sure there was no air trapped in the system. As far as I could tell the car did not have the coolant bleeder near the thermostat so I loosened the coolant temperature sensor to bleed the air out of the system. So far the symptoms have not returned.

If you have a similar idle issue and have recently drained and filled the coolant then bleeding the system would be a good first step.
Old 04-29-2023, 01:29 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: idle drops when let off gas in neutral or push clutch in

Originally Posted by delsolproblems
Have you ever messed with the TPS? If not, check the following. Hopefully you will find the problem early. Start by replacing any regular maintenance items that you haven't serviced in awhile- filters, ignition parts, etc. and clean your grounds. Next, check the ignition. Disable the injectors and get a new or known good spark plug. Wear gloves (welding gloves work great), preferably with latex or nitrile gloves underneath, and remove a spark plug wire from its plug. Connect the good plug to the end of the wire and hold the plastic deep-well tube at the very tip of the wire end with the threads of the plug touching bare metal on the valve cover. Have an assistant crank the motor while you watch the spark, carefully keeping all body parts away from the plug. Different types of plugs have different colored sparks but usually a good spark is bright pink or at least bright. Check all four wires. This will test your entire ignition. Finally, either check your fuel pressure or replace the pump, saving the receipt. Sorry I can't be more specific but a weak idle like yours can really be caused by alot of different things. This will at least give you a full engine tune up and afterward you will know everything is working great.
hey! Find the good fpr and set to 60psi will be great