Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

An Honest mechanic or dishonest?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An Honest mechanic or dishonest?

Hey everyone,

I am hoping that someone can tell me if a recent trip to the mechanic was an honest one or dishonest. So, my 1993 Honda accord was randomly going dead while driving and a mechanic told me that I needed a new distributor. So, I said fine, $350 later I had a new dizzy. Now, the random dead while driving was fixed, but now the CEL comes on code 8 (TDC sensor) which is in the dizzy. So, I have a few questions 1. If I bought a NEW distributor, then should I not get my old one back. Cause I did not get it back and the mechanic said their was a core fee. 2. the 1993 Honda accord dizzy has many useful parts the cap, rotor, and in this case both sensors. So is it possible that I didn't need a whole new one that only one of those components failed and needed replacing?

thanks
Old 11-21-2013, 03:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: An Honest mechanic or dishonest?

it's likely you didn't need the whole distributor replaced, however the two most common fail points inside the distributor would cost you about the same after paying the additional labor for the mechanic to open it up and replace what needs replacing. And this way (new dist.) you have new seals, new internal wiring... but unfortunately a sensor issue.

I would expect an honest mechanic to troubleshoot the TDC code free of charge since it's a part he just installed. It may be a simple as a loose wire connector. If not it should be covered under manufacturer or installer's warranty.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, since he "replaced it" than he should find, fix the issue for free, as long as the issue is inside the Dizzy. Another thing you may want to consider, did he buy a new OEM one, a reman'd one, or one off Ebay?

Reman'd ones may be "new" but were OEM parts used.?

Ebay ones are garbage and cause more issues and $$ down the road. A majority of the time, not always.

A New OEM Honda one would be the best option, even tho they are more expensive, they are the best and will last a long time (considering it doesn't have a fault)

If your mechanic can't fix the issue, or wants to consistently charge you to fix the issue that may continue to come back, I would go to Honda, buy a NEW OEM dizzy and replace it yourself. It's only a couple bolts, 2 plugs, and the plug wires.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt you can even get a new OEM Distributor new these days. I cant even get one for my 98 GSR.

Def make mechanic diagnose for free. Only advantage to having a mechanic install is the warranty that comes with it.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very rarely will you find a CKP CYP or TDC sensor that fails. Normally a cut-off in the ignition while driving is the ignitor, which is a simple fix. Since most "mechanics" don't know or care how to test the ignition primary or secondary, they will replace it all to guarantee it works.

The TDC sensor can e wired backwards, or the TDC plate can be mis-adjusted. If you've ever taken an older Honda distributor out, you'll notice there is a set of lines scored into the tangs that drive it on the back side. There are another set of marks to index these to the housing, and if the TDC pickup is not spaced properly, it will need to be adjusted, as the plate the sensor is mounted to is adjustable.

It is law in most states that ANY repair facility MUST OFFER the return of your old parts, core or not, THEY MUST OFFER IT! Check the laws in your state, but if it was a new part, there is no reason you should not have gotten it back.

IF the CKP failed (highly doubtful), the car will not start, period, this sensor triggers the ignitor. The ignitor and the coil are more likely to fail, with the ignitor being the most common.

While it may not be likely that you get justice in this particular case, use it as a learning lesson: If you do not take responsibility for your automotive repair, you WILL get walked on, this is coming from a retired 10 year tech.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since he's talking about a core charge, he obviously bought a reman. While it's true most states require the old parts to be returned upon request, you would have just had to pay a little higher since they woulda went the "new" route instead of the "reman" route.

It sounds like this particular distributor was bad out the box, which isn't unusual when it comes to remans, especially if he got it from an aftermarket store.

The crank sensor for your car is inside the distributor so he is basically required to fix that particular issue, especially since it was a part he installed that caused it.

I'm curious if your original has, in fact, been fixed or is it going to do it again.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys, I really appreciate the feedback. The mechanic did get a new one or atleast a different one that looked new. I searched the net for it and found it at 123AutoParts.com, Dorman OE solutions distributor for $106 and he charged me $215 for the part. And like Slowcivic2k said, the mechanic should have offered the part back or core fee it back at a discount, which is what the case is with core returns. And I don't think living in California would matter for a dizzy. I am not a newbie when it comes to working on my car but not a pro tech either. And in this case I felt I lacked the proper test equipment for the job. I have gone back to inform him about the issue and he said he would honor the warranty, but he has yet to call. So, at this point what I want to do is just go down there and request a refund for the distributor ($215) and do the job myself. Yet, I can't do that cause my old dizzy is gone. Personally, I don't trust this guy to work on my car at all. What other options do I have?
Old 11-22-2013, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have him replace it again. he shouldn't charge you for it. he can't refund you, as there was a core for the distributor.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kyden
have him replace it again. he shouldn't charge you for it. he can't refund you, as there was a core for the distributor.

This. Best advice thus far
Old 11-22-2013, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah Kyden, Brettster55, that isw probably what I'll do, but the fact of the matter is i bought a new dizzy and there should have been no core return. Or actually, by law he should have offered me the choice of the part back or core it. Either way it doesnt matter now. Now the best thing I can do is have him replace the existing distributor. I tell you what, I gonna make him put it in with me looking over his shoulder. lol we all know how irritating that is.... and hey thanks guys and gals (just in case) for all the feedback it really did help!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Honda knowledge
Yeah Kyden, Brettster55, that isw probably what I'll do, but the fact of the matter is i bought a new dizzy and there should have been no core return. Or actually, by law he should have offered me the choice of the part back or core it. Either way it doesnt matter now. Now the best thing I can do is have him replace the existing distributor. I tell you what, I gonna make him put it in with me looking over his shoulder. lol we all know how irritating that is.... and hey thanks guys and gals (just in case) for all the feedback it really did help!!!!!!!!!
He does not have to offer you the old parts. That is not the law here in Cali. You must REQUEST the old parts be returned to you prior to any repairs being done. If you do not make this request,you are owed nothing.

While its true that the igniter may have failed,there are many other parts in the distributor that are subject to wear,such as the bearings,tdc sensor, internal wiring, etc. If it is a high mileage vehicle, then the most cost effective (and sound) repair is a new distributor. Otherwise you will very likely return with other drivability problems, and consequently will likely blame the shop.

There does not seem to be any decent Honda distributors in the aftermarket. I have been wreching for 18 years and have seen plenty of bad Honda dizzys out of the box. Simply ask him to warranty the part. And if you do not trust him,conclude your business and move on.....

(BTW part of a shops profit is a mark up on parts. That is business. That is how shops make money. Comparing internet prices to a shops price is foolish. You can buy 12 eggs for 3 bucks at the market. Or you can buy 1 egg and 2 slabs of bread at Mcdonalds for 3 bucks. Its all about service. That is what you are paying for.)
Old 11-24-2013, 11:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by DCFIVER
He does not have to offer you the old parts. That is not the law here in Cali. You must REQUEST the old parts be returned to you prior to any repairs being done. If you do not make this request,you are owed nothing.

While its true that the igniter may have failed,there are many other parts in the distributor that are subject to wear,such as the bearings,tdc sensor, internal wiring, etc. If it is a high mileage vehicle, then the most cost effective (and sound) repair is a new distributor. Otherwise you will very likely return with other drivability problems, and consequently will likely blame the shop.

There does not seem to be any decent Honda distributors in the aftermarket. I have been wreching for 18 years and have seen plenty of bad Honda dizzys out of the box. Simply ask him to warranty the part. And if you do not trust him,conclude your business and move on.....

(BTW part of a shops profit is a mark up on parts. That is business. That is how shops make money. Comparing internet prices to a shops price is foolish. You can buy 12 eggs for 3 bucks at the market. Or you can buy 1 egg and 2 slabs of bread at Mcdonalds for 3 bucks. Its all about service. That is what you are paying for.)
However, it should be noted that shops get a corporate discount on parts. The price you see for retail is higher than any shop would otherwise get.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
However, it should be noted that shops get a corporate discount on parts. The price you see for retail is higher than any shop would otherwise get.
Whats your point?