Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Honda FR-V diagnostics and CAN bus

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 01:40 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Honda FR-V diagnostics and CAN bus

Hi Guys

I'm a newbie here, so I hope my question is relevant, clear and in the right place...

I got a Honda FR-V 2009, and I'm trying to figure out how to learn more about it. Using an OBDII USB device, I managed to read all sorts of parameters from it.
I also got myself a CAN2USB device (VSCOM USBCAN+), and I would like to connect to its CAN-BUS, just to sniff around.
So far, using information I've found online, I failed to do so - I connected the CAN2USB device to the CAN pins of the car's OBD connector, but I don't see anything with the sniffing software (I'm using some basic standard Linux CAN tools)
The CAN2USB device got its error LED cleared when I use it, and when I push packets to it the data LED blinks. So I know I got my laptop connected to the device ok.

So my questions are:
1. Can I even access CAN bus via the OBD connector on Honda FR-V 2009?
If so - can you suggest what am I doing wrong?
If not - I suppose I'll remove the dashboard and look for another place to connect to it. Any recommendation?
2. Where can I find information about the CAN networks this vehicle has? Is it similar to other Honda models that I can use as a reference?

Thanks!
Ofer
Old 02-26-2017, 05:50 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Honda FR-V diagnostics and CAN bus

Originally Posted by oferlivny
Hi Guys

I'm a newbie here, so I hope my question is relevant, clear and in the right place...

I got a Honda FR-V 2009, and I'm trying to figure out how to learn more about it. Using an OBDII USB device, I managed to read all sorts of parameters from it.
I also got myself a CAN2USB device (VSCOM USBCAN+), and I would like to connect to its CAN-BUS, just to sniff around.
So far, using information I've found online, I failed to do so - I connected the CAN2USB device to the CAN pins of the car's OBD connector, but I don't see anything with the sniffing software (I'm using some basic standard Linux CAN tools)
The CAN2USB device got its error LED cleared when I use it, and when I push packets to it the data LED blinks. So I know I got my laptop connected to the device ok.

So my questions are:
1. Can I even access CAN bus via the OBD connector on Honda FR-V 2009?
If so - can you suggest what am I doing wrong?
If not - I suppose I'll remove the dashboard and look for another place to connect to it. Any recommendation?
2. Where can I find information about the CAN networks this vehicle has? Is it similar to other Honda models that I can use as a reference?

Thanks!
Ofer
You could read it off the dlc as long as you have the can hi and can low signals there....You may need a resistor wired in parallel between the hi and low to read it correctly. Some adapters have the resistance built in internally and other don't, I think it's 120 ohm
Old 02-26-2017, 06:26 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by m90polk1
You could read it off the dlc as long as you have the can hi and can low signals there....You may need a resistor wired in parallel between the hi and low to read it correctly. Some adapters have the resistance built in internally and other don't, I think it's 120 ohm
Thanks for the reply!
Is there a way of telling if the CAN HI/LO signals in the DLC (OBDII) connector are active? Is it possible these are not really connected to the vehicle's bus at all?
I can connect a scope and see if there's a signal there, but I'm looking for a simpler approach...
Old 02-26-2017, 07:40 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by oferlivny
Thanks for the reply!
Is there a way of telling if the CAN HI/LO signals in the DLC (OBDII) connector are active? Is it possible these are not really connected to the vehicle's bus at all?
I can connect a scope and see if there's a signal there, but I'm looking for a simpler approach...
At the dlc I don't believe it's always active unless you have a scanner on to complete the circuit, quickest would be just check it with a scope but without a resistor in line the signal will look weird and not square. CAN and bus are both communication lines in a vehicle, they have to be connected for proper communication. If you have both it's a hybrid CANbus system.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:43 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Also forgot to mention if you can somehow get the wiring diagram or ECU pinout it will have the can communication lines listed(usually a twisted pair). You can measure anywhere on the can system you want if your just looking for proper signals.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:17 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by m90polk1
Also forgot to mention if you can somehow get the wiring diagram or ECU pinout it will have the can communication lines listed(usually a twisted pair). You can measure anywhere on the can system you want if your just looking for proper signals.
Thanks m90polk1
I currently don't have a wiring diagram nor pinout, but I will definetly try to get it.
So I guess I'll have to start using a scope to probe these signals then...