Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Hamp oil filters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 06:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hamp oil filters? (crxgator)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxgator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but your saying that the s2000 is garbage when in fact i believe its the same one...do you honestly see a difference between them in that pic?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nobody is saying the s2000 filter is garbage. Its the new blue honda filters that are garbage, since they are all made by fram now (with the exception of the s2000 filter, but only is some areas).
The old 'made in japan' blue filters that we used to be able to get are made by toyo roki in japan. Toyo roki also makes the s2000 filters and hamp filters obviously. The hamp and s2000 filters are almost identicly in construction, except that hamp filters are supposed to have a bypass valve with slightly different characteristics, better suited to race cars.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hamp oil filters? (rioninja)

why spend so much for an oil filter when you should be changing it very often. a Fram double guard is plenty good for me.
Old 05-15-2004, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Hamp oil filters? (CivicHatchback14)

lol..fram sucks...hamp works for me
Old 05-15-2004, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Hamp oil filters? (spaceman)

honestly its an oil filter. just get whatever you gfeel most comfortable with. you get what you pay for etc. rsx blue honda filters work fine for me.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Hamp oil filters? (spaceman)

I got a questrion..... why does fram suck? it's a oil filter. It's nothing special. It's not like there can be a shitty one. they all do the same thing.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicHatchback14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got a questrion..... why does fram suck? it's a oil filter. It's nothing special. It's not like there can be a shitty one. they all do the same thing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats one of the dumber things i have heard lately. if you care about your motor then you would care about your oil filter. there is like a $5 price difference between a hamp and a fram, so why not just use the much better product. if you dont think hamp is better do some searches, there have been in depth tests that prove it is better.
Old 05-16-2004, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Hamp oil filters? (dmotoguy)

I think it's just funny, cuz i have never heard of people haveing any problems with their motors because of their cheap oil filter.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hamp oil filters? (00 FBP ItR)

Please don't flame me for just trying to clarify things. I have nothing to gain financially by saying what I said.

Around here most HAMP stuff is from Thailand.

Modified by nickgomez at 11:14 AM 11/18/2004
Old 11-17-2004, 08:53 PM

I could be wrong but it apears to me that the s2000 filter is larger than the rest of those filters,and if it is then its not raising the oil pressure wich is a good thing rite?Looks like to me the best filter would be a hamp with a nice brace around it for kick *** oil filter performance. cheap oil filters like the ones there with carboard in them have a lowwer burst strength then the obviously better made s2000 and hamp,what happens when the filter expands under pressure like saying driving hard,thats right if the filter expands oil pressure drops, not a good thing at 8krpm.If you drive like grandma use the cheap one you will be fine.
lol just wanna add that I learned that from the spoon guy on that best motoring dvd good stuff
Old 11-17-2004, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicHatchback14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think it's just funny, cuz i have never heard of people haveing any problems with their motors because of their cheap oil filter. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well. to contest. HAMP filters are known to be a little more reliable and longer lasting that OEM parts. you can go over 2k miles without changing the oil filter w/ HAMP, but, only if they were used within moderate conditions. ie. RR, autox, Drag twice a month.

Old 11-19-2004, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are some facts:
HAMP is the premium parts line in Japan...a step above OEM parts but not quite race quality. Don't believe me. Verify it here: http://www.honda.co.jp/parts/index.html

I cut both the large HAMP and the s2000 filter open.
They are both Toyo-Roki, identical except for the color of the shell.
The large filter crappers are Filtech(made in Canada) and Fram(made in USA).

HAMP also makes a small filter as an alternative for people that want the smaller filter, but don't want to run the new small standard OEM Honda filter.

The new small standard OEM Honda filter is made by Honeywell.
Fram is owned by Allied Signal.
Allied Signal was recently merged/bought/whatever with Honeywell. They've retained the Honeywell name.

There was no demonstrable difference in oil pressure between a large Toyo-Roki and a small Honeywell filter. They both run about 5 psi higher then the Filtech/Fram filters.

Now some speculation:
That Honeywell filter is probably made by the Fram folks...they just get to hide their shoddy name/history.

Something about the new Honeywell filter couldn't meet the needs of the s2000 so Honda brought over the Toyo-Roki. Have to ask why...

Modified by davens at 3:39 AM 11/19/2004
Old 11-19-2004, 09:09 AM

Default Re: (davens)

Admittedly I am one of those people who doesn't put much thought into oil filters and whatnot. I am not saying there is not a difference, but it's just not something I have had issues with.

One thing I have noticed in the pits is that a lot of race cars (sfwd/hotrod/pro fwd) seem to run all kinds of oil filters. Brands that are supposed to be horrible, brands that are 4x the money and are supposed to be great, etc. It makes me wonder if those guys really care either.

I know ppl will say 'sponsorship!" but how many import drag racers are really sponsored by oil filter companies?

Old 11-19-2004, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can run whatever you want.
If my engine got a new oil and filter everytime it was run, I don't think it would matter either.

Would you run your car without a filter? Because it needs some kind of filtration of particles that cause damage, right? At what point is there just enough or too much filtration?
I'd rather take the engineering choice of {as much as possible} instead of the economic choice of {as cheap as possible}

As far as sponsorships...Allied Signal/Honeywell also own Garrett Turbos. Get Garrett support, showcase Honeywell products isn't too far of a stretch.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just because your engine doesn't instantly blow up the minute you install the filter doesn't mean you dont have a problem. Is low or uneven compression a problem? Are leaky piston rings a problem? Did you know that a large portion of the oil doesn't get filtered at all due to the bypass; more so on the cheap filters. Sure, if you're only going to have the engine a couple years, who cares. Why even change the oil? If you have some exotic type R swap, I'd invest in a Canton Mecca. It filters all the oil, all the time, and gets smaller particles than even K&N. Recharge filters are around $11. That puts all these filters to shame.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (shaundrake)

What is the part number for a Honda Insight oil filter? I remember one time when I was a lube tech at Honda and did an oil change on an Insight. I clearly remember it was a small-type filter with Toyo Roki on the side, not to mention that it fit just fine on my Integra. Could this be a "USDM" answer to the small Hamp?

Found it:

15400-PFB-004

$6.46 at http://hondaautomotiveparts.com (same as S2000 PCX filter)

$36.22 6 packs of filters here: http://www.hondaaccessoriesche....html
Old 11-24-2004, 10:15 AM

Default Re: (JDMDA9)

I found this thread while trying to see if I should start carrying the Hamp filters.

I see no reason to. They are way too much $$. I am amazed some of you buy them 30 at a time! 30 oil filters at 3000 miles a pop is 90,000 miles! I can't fathom buying enough filters for 90,000 miles of oil changes at a time!

Seriously, what filter you use is not going to make a damn bit of difference, compared to if you change it on time. We have 2 B16As putting out 195 whp, and they both run stock US Honda filters. They have for over 2 years now.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MrHeeltoe)

You're kind of right...the Hamps were cheaper awhile back.
They're really not worth $11. At that point you could be running a K&N.

The same Toyo Roki usdm s2000 filter is a bargain a under $7 through mail order.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:01 AM
Banned

I have me 5 HAMPs here and a case of Amsoil.. Can't wait to pour it in.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hamp oil filters? (crxgator)

No...he was saying that the REGULAR OEM filters are GARBAGE, as is HOP. S2k is the ONLY one that can hold a light to HAMP.

The S2k oil filter is the only one that Honda has manufactured differently compared to all the other models.

I remember seeing JHPUSA sell the HAMP for 50 bucks for a set of ten, but when I checked just now, they go for 80 bucks now
Old 11-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicHatchback14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got a questrion..... why does fram suck? it's a oil filter. It's nothing special. It's not like there can be a shitty one. they all do the same thing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So why get 91 octane fuel from a national gas company for your B18B engine with your nitrous?

Why not just get 87 octane from Joe's gasoline?

It's only gasoline, it all does the same thing. You have to fill up so often anyways.

Same deal with oil filters. It oil is only the lifeblood of the engine. It's over-rated. That's why I use movie-theatre popcorn 'butter'.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Hamp oil filters? (dmoto)

I think the funniest part of this whole shinenanagan is the fact that at a Car Dealership it is hard enough as it is to push OEM parts when you compare them to cheap alternatives. In Japan they offer the same OEM parts, but also offer higher quality OEM parts if you want to spend the extra money. Something like that would never work in NA, LoL.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Hamp oil filters? (-KangaRod-)

so whats the general consensus now?
Old 04-13-2005, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hamp oil filters? (cpforyou)

General consensus for me is HAMP is a waste of money if pay more than $8 total for one. Stay away from FRAM and the "new" OEM Honda filters (unless its the Made in Japan S2000 one).

But after reading the article linked below a long, long time ago I run exclusively Mobil 1 filters. I've tried both the M1-104 and M1-105 with good results.

http://www.prostreetonline.com...eid=2
Old 01-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hamp oil filters? (FairlightRacing)

After hearing what some people in the USDM say I must clarify.

In Malaysia, I worked for Honda Malaysia from 2001-2005. Our higher priced filters are made in Japan, and are blue. HAMP is a cheaper alternative, made in Thailand. HAMP = Honda After Market Parts. It would be wrong to say HAMP filters are 'better' than stock blue HOP (Honda Original Parts), IMHO. It's shocking to hear that some people consider HAMP to be 'better' than HOP blue filters.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hamp oil filters? (nickgomez)

^ correct
the hamp filter actually has roughly 12% less filtration material
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/f...shtml

and for others on the path of knowledge
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

Quick Reply: Hamp oil filters?