Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

H22 Massive oil burning problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 Massive oil burning problem, Valve Guides?

Alright I have been trying to troubleshoot an oil burning problem in cylinder 4 of an H22.
I ran a leak down test and everything was kosher. Originally when the engine was first purchased I ran a leakdown and found that all the exhaust valves were leaking. I also noticed that the #4 cylinder was very sooty. The EGR port was absolutely caked with oil soot. So I took the head off and ran it to the machine shop, I told him that I needed a valve job. I also had him inspect the #4 cylinder. He said that there was no play in the valve guides. So as a precaution I replaced the valve seals, and reinstalled the head on the block. After starting the engine up it smoked like I have never seen before. I mean it looks like I pushed the go go gadget smoke screen button or something. I pulled the #4 plug and it was drenched in oil. I thought that it had to be the block, so I found another block. So I remove the head from the smoking engine and I find alot of oil sitting on top of the intake valves of the #4 cylinder viewing it through the ports and only on that cylinder. Am I correct in assuming that the only way oil could be sitting on top of the closed intake valves is a bad valve guide or tiny crack in the head. I measured the cylinder walls and they are all well below the service limit as stated in the helms manual. I'm confused in why the machinists didn't find anything wrong with the head. I'm worried that I will waste all this time pulling the block out of the car, and placing this head on the other block in my car, and still find out that it smokes because of the head. I'm really starting to think there is something wrong with the valve guides in cylinder 4 of the head. Can anyone help diagnose this smoking issue in cylinder #4?

Modified by Yuleluder at 5:23 PM 3/9/2008

Modified by Yuleluder at 5:23 PM 3/9/2008
Old 03-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 Massive oil burning problem, Valve Guides? (Yuleluder)

anyone?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: H22 Massive oil burning problem, Valve Guides? (Yuleluder)

HOWS THE COMPRESSION ON THE MOTOR?? I KNOW THESE BLOCKS HAVE OIL BURNING PROBLEMS
Old 03-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 Massive oil burning problem, Valve Guides? (HONDAPARTSMANMIKE)

HEEEEELLLLLLOOOOOWWWWW.YYYYOOOOOUUUURRRRR CCCCAAAAAPPPPPSSSSS LLLLOOOOCCCKKKK IIIIISSSSSS OOOOOONNNNNN.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 Massive oil burning problem, Valve Guides? (NJIN BUILDR)

The compression on all 4 cylinders was around 210. Leak down on all 4 cylinders was about 15-20% at 90psi.

With the head off you can see that someone honed cylinder #4, why they did this I don't know. The cylinder still measure under the 3.4279" as per helms. When I replaced the valve seals I slightly bent the intake valves. I tried my buddies retainer remover, and the damn magnet wasnt working. Eventually the cylinder lost pressure from my compressor and the valve banged against the piston. Now I'm wondering if the oil I saw on top of the valves(not in the combustion chamber) was pushed op there during the compression stroke. I'm really starting to lean towards the #4 piston rings not sealing and allowing oil to push into the cylinder at an amazing rate.