Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Fuel pump.. dead.. main relay.. dead... and no dash lights..??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump.. dead.. main relay.. dead... and no dash lights..??

Recently i finished my rebuilt (bought the car not running) at first the car would start up without a problem, then starters failed on me, the first 2 mainly because I didnt have a batt and would start the car with jumper cables streesing the starters, and this time the battery gave up on me, and I beleive the sterter did aswell once again.

Tested the alternator, and got a new battery. Removed the aftermarket alarm and checked all my grounds, checked connectors on the engine bay(wire harness) and everything is in good shape. Lastly but not least replaced the battery cables, even though they looked good semi checked fuses.
-----------------
* The first attept was a no go, with everything connected the starter would just "click" then I knew it was a starter ploblem BUT decided to try it one more time, and thats when the car died.. I heard the "click" the sudendly the fuel pump wasnt priming, couldnt hear it, main relay is dead aswell cant hear it, even tested abother one.. nothing and lastly my dash lights are gone.. check engine light, oil.. Etc. BUT other things do work like headlights(dash light too), interior lights.

* The odd thing is that when I connect the battery cables to the battery there is ZERO spark, like if the battery was dead.. gave it a test and got a reading of 12.7v...?

* Lastly before all this happened there was a burnt smell under the hood.. Idk how it smelled like.. A burned chip? Anyways the smell is verry faint and hard to find, I can usually smell it when im near the engine and the wind bows slightly, at first I thought it cas comming near the starter or fuse box, removed everything and noticed it was still there. After tracking the smell i noticed that its comming from behind the intake manifold and the firewall?

So what causes:
1: Fuel pump and main relay to fail including some cluster lights.. Main fuse??
2: For the burt smell that I cant find were its coming from.. What are the odds of the main wiring harness to fudge up on me?
3: Whats the cause for no "spark when connecting battery terminals.(its the verry faint spark that you can see or hear when you connect battery terminals)
Old 05-28-2016, 02:45 AM
Dur Da Dur

Default Re: Fuel pump.. dead.. main relay.. dead... and no dash lights..??

Your terminals aren't exactly suppose to spark when you hook them up. Don't try to spark them anyway.

Check all ur grounds check the fuses check the continuity of the wiring and complete the verification of starter alternator and battery.

This is all easy stuff mang
Old 05-28-2016, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Do the headlights work?

There is a main fuse in the box near the battery. Check it. If it is blown, realize that connecting the battery backwards will blow it, so be careful you're connecting the battery properly. There are two types of the 51 battery, identical except that + and - are reversed.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know this sounds dumb, but are all of the plugs on the harness plugged into the right places??
Old 05-28-2016, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Do the headlights work?

There is a main fuse in the box near the battery. Check it. If it is blown, realize that connecting the battery backwards will blow it, so be careful you're connecting the battery properly. There are two types of the 51 battery, identical except that + and - are reversed.
Yeah headlights work, in a bit ill post what works and doesnt work.. Can an ignition switch cause these sort of problems? In the fuse box, everything looks good no signs of a blown fuse, will re check again.

Originally Posted by Baby99EX
I know this sounds dumb, but are all of the plugs on the harness plugged into the right places??
It doesnt sound dumb bro, thats what I checked multiple times and there good.

Thanks guys.

Lastly, i know the terminals arent supposed to spark when they get connected, im just saying the very faint spark you hear when you connect any other car battery
Old 05-28-2016, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

were the wiring harnesses both from the same mmodel??
Old 05-28-2016, 11:16 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If the head lights work, the main fuse is good,

If any load is connected, [hot at all times like radio/ECU memory] you will get a spark when connecting batt. at least the first time within a few min. , [capacitors charge up].

You said "semi checked fuses" exactly what does that mean?
The best way to check a fuse is with a 12V test light and right in the fuse box, touching the test light probe to both of the fuses test "tips".

Yes the ign. switch can be the problem, and yes the wiring harness could be the problem

At to top of this form is a Simple DIY start circuit test [bypass jump] fallow those instructions and let me know what you find.

A "click" from the starter and then "nothing" indicates a grounding issue.

You said you checked the grounds, there is only one way to "check" a ground and that is to redo it, disconnect/clean/reconnect, a ground that is tight does not mean it is a good ground.

Most electrical problems, by far, turn out to be grounding problems, so start by redoing your main grounds, batt. to chassis and chassis to engine, also redo the thermostat housing ground(s) the leads at the thermostat housing ground the PGM-FI Main Relay and the ECU, so again disconnect/clean/reconnect, a bad ground can also be the cause of the burning smell, "electricity will take the course of least resistance" if the ground is no good, the load will "look" for another path to ground, and if that is a small gauge lead, it will burn. 94
Old 05-28-2016, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Baby99EX
were the wiring harnesses both from the same mmodel??
What do you mean? The wiring harness is the original that came in the car, ive never replaxed it.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:35 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Xextr3meX
Recently i finished my rebuilt (bought the car not running) at first the car would start up without a problem, then starters failed on me, the first 2 mainly because I didnt have a batt and would start the car with jumper cables streesing the starters, and this time the battery gave up on me, and I beleive the sterter did aswell once again.

Tested the alternator, and got a new battery. Removed the aftermarket alarm and checked all my grounds, checked connectors on the engine bay(wire harness) and everything is in good shape. Lastly but not least replaced the battery cables, even though they looked good semi checked fuses.
-----------------
* The first attept was a no go, with everything connected the starter would just "click" then I knew it was a starter ploblem BUT decided to try it one more time, and thats when the car died.. I heard the "click" the sudendly the fuel pump wasnt priming, couldnt hear it, main relay is dead aswell cant hear it, even tested abother one.. nothing and lastly my dash lights are gone.. check engine light, oil.. Etc. BUT other things do work like headlights(dash light too), interior lights.

* The odd thing is that when I connect the battery cables to the battery there is ZERO spark, like if the battery was dead.. gave it a test and got a reading of 12.7v...?

* Lastly before all this happened there was a burnt smell under the hood.. Idk how it smelled like.. A burned chip? Anyways the smell is verry faint and hard to find, I can usually smell it when im near the engine and the wind bows slightly, at first I thought it cas comming near the starter or fuse box, removed everything and noticed it was still there. After tracking the smell i noticed that its comming from behind the intake manifold and the firewall?

So what causes:
1: Fuel pump and main relay to fail including some cluster lights.. Main fuse??
2: For the burt smell that I cant find were its coming from.. What are the odds of the main wiring harness to fudge up on me?
3: Whats the cause for no "spark when connecting battery terminals.(its the verry faint spark that you can see or hear when you connect battery terminals)
Any updates?
Old 11-06-2018, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check battery fuse under hood. should be a black 80amp fuse. follow charge harness to fuse box and inspect could be fired. they are like 3 bucks at autozone.