Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

emission blues.. i failed the hydrocarbons.but passed CO test w/ test pipe..info needed please

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emission blues.. i failed the hydrocarbons.but passed CO test w/ test pipe..info needed please

.i took my civic in for the emissions this morning. its a DX coupe
.any how i failed the hydrocarbons but paassed the carbon monoxide
.even w/the set up i had under the car which was a apexi catback
.w/a test pipe, i poured amaco prem bp gas my reading on the
.carbon monixide was 11.0 and carbon dioxide was 235.5 the reading
.on the HYDROCARBONS was 1.34 and the standards were 0.80, the
.HYDROCARBONS is were i FAILED, the guy in the office said it was
.because my car was not burning gasoline properly, anyways my question
.is would a catalytic converter fix my hydrocarbons problem, or does a
.catalytic converter have anything to do w/that, do i have a bigger problem
.on my hands,they also gave me a chart ill take pics if someone wants to
.see it, ok thanks for the help....
=vince
Old 10-30-2002, 10:54 AM

Default Re: emission blues.. i failed the hydrocarbons.but passed CO test w/ test pipe..info needed please (

Living in CA and always having modded cars, I have a lot of experience with this problem. The problem is your car is runnig rich, obviously that is why your HC level is high and your CO level is 11.0, this is basically your air fuel mixture. It should be closer to 14.7:1. First thing I would check is timing, if you aren't worried about NOX, advance your timing to the most advanced position that is in spec. Running more advance will run it leaner. If the timing was really retarded, that was probably the cause. Then check your O2 sensor as this could be a cause, unless you have an adjustable FPR, VAFC, or some mod like that. If in doubt, I would suggest replacing your O2 sensor anyways(it will probably pay itself off in gas mileage anyways), replace your spark plugs, change your oil( believe it or not this can help w/ smog, this is from a smog tech for a Mitsu dealer), use one of those "Guaranteed to pass" products and follow the instructions (believe it or not they help), then refill the tank with the lowest grade gas you can(87 here), higher octane gas causes more HC because most cars can't burn all of it, then most importantly get the car really hot on the way to the test because the cat only works when it gets hot, the hotter the better. I'll usually take mine on the freeway and run it WOT a few times to clear it out. Then make sure they work on it right away, because if they let it cool down too much this can affect it. If you do all of this I guarantee you it will help dramatically, if it still doesn't pass you have major problems. But do all of this and you will most likely pass and also get better gas mileage.
Old 10-30-2002, 12:35 PM

Default Re: emission blues.. i failed the hydrocarbons.but passed CO test w/ test pipe..info needed please (

02 sensor....hmmmm...i htink thats in the engine but isnt there one in tha catalytic or somewere in the piping...lowest grade .... people keep teling me to pour race fuel and shiz.anyhow im going to follow you info see what happens..should i put a catalytic converter on ....? thanks for all you help....dope info...
=vince
Old 10-30-2002, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a fricken Catalytic converter.....no **** you failed.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:18 PM

yeah derrrrrrrrrrrrr...hehe...i cant believe that guy wrote out all that **** in the second msg....wowsers...
Old 10-30-2002, 05:58 PM

thanks guys....
Old 10-30-2002, 07:21 PM

get a cat and you'll pass
Old 10-30-2002, 07:51 PM

I thought cats were mandatory?
Old 10-30-2002, 07:56 PM

They are. You can't pass the visual without one in CA (unless you "know" someone).
Old 10-30-2002, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The problem is your car is runnig rich, obviously that is why your HC level is high and your CO level is 11.0, this is basically your air fuel mixture. It should be closer to 14.7:1.
What the hell are you talking abOut??!? That in no way is what it is!!!

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=313708

Old 10-31-2002, 05:52 AM

In chicago there is no visual.....lots of crazy pot-holes !!
Old 10-31-2002, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a fricken Catalytic converter.....no **** you failed.
lol!

yeah and if you're running an aftermarket header (I dont care if its carb exempt in 50 states), you should run the stock cast iron exhaust manifold, and run a stock P28 ecu if you're running a DOHC VTEC ecu (it helps a lot in passing emissions).