Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

diff preload and tapered vs balls

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff preload and tapered vs *****

So .. I have a 96 GSR, which AFIAK has tapered bearings on the diff and a JDM Honda LSD
which has *****. I had hoped to get the correct kind of bearing to make thing plug and play, but
because of a little confusion on my part this is looking more like plug and pray.

Anyway, after reading some H-T posts, putting this thing in my tranny with ***** is
probably not a good idea. Seems people have done it with out too much trouble, but my car is an
all out race car which will be hoping curbs at full throttle and taking all kinds of abuse. The last
thing I need is a granded tranny.

That means I need to pull the tapered bearing off my GSR open dif and put them on the LSD.
No prob, unit I get to the part about preload. What are the chances it will be just fine if I put the
bearing on and reuse the existing shims??? As you can guess, I don't have a tool for checking the
preload. Any trick? I could go to the bone yard and pick up a an inner CV joint, weld a socket to
it, and go.

Advice please. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:36 AM

you need a feeler gauge to check the bearing preload...you should be able to find differential specs from whoever you got the lsd from. feeler gauges run between $5-10, and if you don't have a micrometer to measure the shims you have, buy some at an automotive supply store that are pre-measured/labeled...that takes the guesswork out of it, and you should be able to make the appropriate preload for the bearings. this is important and should not be overlooked...unless you want to tear it apart again soon and rebuild it.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: diff preload and tapered vs *****

been searching for an answer to this question for about an hour now... the kid who replied is obviously confused with ball bearings.

i don't have the special tool, and the special tool i talked to at the dealership service dept didn't even know what i was talking about.

So can the preload be measured at the outer diff case shaft itself? or does it drive the splines inside?

I can spin the thing easily with my fingers after reusing the old shims, so i am worried it is too loose.