Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Diagnostic tool Question

Old 09-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnostic tool Question

I'm in the market for a diagnostic tool to check cels. Not looking to spend a lot. Are they all pretty much the same?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Diagnostic tool Question

If your looking for a small one that is cheap there are several optikns but try and find one that will show you live data and have access to mode 6 if you are familar with it. We had one in school i think it was around 120$ or so. It was gray and i want to say it may have been made by OTC but dont quote me on the maker

This one here

http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool.../OTC-3109.html
Old 09-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gsrsi
I'm in the market for a diagnostic tool to check cels. Not looking to spend a lot. Are they all pretty much the same?
are you using it for your 99 gsr?

if yes, you don't need a tool. just a paper clip.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not sure if you're only looking for the smaller handheld versions, but...

a) There are programs you can download (possibly for free...) for a laptop. All you'd really need is an OBD2 -> USB or OBD2 -> Serial Port cable which you can probably find off ebay. I don't know if there is anything Honda/Acura specific (there probably is) but I used to own a VW Jetta 1.8t and there was a VW-specific program I used to read check engine lights, which being a VW was every other week or so.

b) Depending on the phone you have, I believe there are actually apps you can download, but again you'd need some sort of cable to connect OBD2 to your phone, and again, try ebay.

c) Speaking of ebay, you could probably find a fairly cheap OBD2 hand-scanner off there or Amazon.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by - Vici0us -
Not sure if you're only looking for the smaller handheld versions, but...

a) There are programs you can download (possibly for free...) for a laptop. All you'd really need is an OBD2 -> USB or OBD2 -> Serial Port cable which you can probably find off ebay. I don't know if there is anything Honda/Acura specific (there probably is) but I used to own a VW Jetta 1.8t and there was a VW-specific program I used to read check engine lights, which being a VW was every other week or so.

b) Depending on the phone you have, I believe there are actually apps you can download, but again you'd need some sort of cable to connect OBD2 to your phone, and again, try ebay.

c) Speaking of ebay, you could probably find a fairly cheap OBD2 hand-scanner off there or Amazon.

^^ this but the one i posted for 120$ is well worth every penny, i have done 99% of diag work on cars using the one i posted. Only other tool i use is a labscope to verify what live data/codes/ or mode 6 is telling me to find the exact issue.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm lookin for more of a hand held universal tool. I don't know how crazy that sounds, considering the main reason I want one is because of the amount of cars me my brother and father purchase. I'd like to just have it in my box of tools.
I hate meeting up to buy a car and have to go to autozone to get the cel checked.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And yes that's a pretty nice on jdm, I'm going to look into it.