Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Autometer Gauge RE-connections at Clock?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Autometer Gauge RE-connections at Clock?

I have no idea if this the correct forum to place this question in. I did some re-wiring for my oil pressure and volt meter gauges in my quad pod. If you don't know already, the quad pod goes in the dash location of the stock clock. Obviously, the clock needs to come out for this installation. Here is my question - both gauges need a 12v accessory wire that turns on with the car for power. Can i splice into the power wire for the clock for both gauges? Or would that be too much draw for that wire? I believe the clock fuse is something like 7.5 amps. It would be super convenient if i could just tap that wire for power.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:52 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: Autometer Gauge RE-connections at Clock?

Will it work? Almost surely yes. Should you do it from a safety standpoint? Before you can answer that question, you'll need to know what Autometer recommends for each gauge and you'll need to know what other loads are on the circuit with the clock. Look at the owner's manuals for each gauge and it should give you a recommended fuse size. My Autometer gauges (SpekPro) recommend a 3A fuse each. Look at the wiring diagram for the 7.5A fuse - what other loads are there? This website has a good wire gauge calculator based on load.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Found the diagram i was looking for. I did some research on the gauges as well. Someone had a 6 gauge setup and they ran all of them at once and it had a total draw of 6 amps. Both of the gauges i intend on hooking up were in this example's setup as well. When they turned on each gauge individually for load, i believe combined it was either right at or just under 3 amps. I think i'll be good tapping this connection for both gauges according to this diagram.

i think i can tap the power feed for each gauge at the yellow wire from the clock harness, and tap the ground wire from the harness. It says that yellow wire passes through a 10 amp fuse to the clock. There is also the red/blk wire for the lights-on signal. I know that is to dim the clock unit at night, but i wonder if i can use that wire to power the led light for each gauge?
Old 01-14-2020, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wired it up this weekend, everything worked perfectly!
Old 01-14-2020, 01:51 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by danteisme
Wired it up this weekend, everything worked perfectly!
Good to hear!