Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Coolant hose positioning question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant hose positioning question

Ok B18A1 head and block 1996 Integra. I'm having trouble re routing my coolant lines because of my BWR throttle body not having hose barbs. You can see where it leaked out because I didn't see this hose was broke. But now I don't see where I will run the replacement hose. I circled the replacement hose in red and the route it's supposed to go. And you can see my throttle body. Not sure if I'm missing parts or what. Replacement hose is number 7.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: Coolant hose positioning question

If there are no additional fittings around the passenger end of the intake manifold or any on the thermostat housing... you should be able to run the coolant line directly from the IACV fitting directly to the fitting on the upper radiator hose port. A pic of the right rear corner of the head and thermostat housing would help clear things up.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
If there are no additional fittings around the passenger end of the intake manifold or any on the thermostat housing... you should be able to run the coolant line directly from the IACV fitting directly to the fitting on the upper radiator hose port. A pic of the right rear corner of the head and thermostat housing would help clear things up.

and here is a better picture of the open leaking spot im dealing with. Idk maybe get a Y adapter and cut a random hose and just make it work? Or run it to the radiator cap that the overflow plugs in? Truly lost lol
Old 09-04-2017, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Disclosure: I was trying to post this reply while you were including the pics that you stated were already posted, so some of this will not apply to you and is redundant/un-necessary information. I chose to leave it in the event that others look at this thread in the future as it is all good reference material. For your specific situation, focus on the portion in bold at the bottom.

Where does the other end of that hose go ??? Your first pic shows 1" of hose still clamped to the upper radiator hose fitting/neck. There is no "better" picture in your last post. Connecting it to the coolant overflow bottle is not a fix... it will be filled in two minutes. You have to look at this cooling circuit as a simple loop... you will start either under the intake manifold at the water pipe OR at the thermostat housing; go to the IACV; out of the IACV and to the T/B; out of the T/B and back to the cylinder head. When I say cylinder head, the fitting there could be in the intake manifold or in the upper radiator hose neck as you have pictured above. So, if you have all original matching engine parts (cylinder head, intake manifold, throttle body, thermostat housing and water pipe), then this will be an easy exercise. IF you have anything mix-matched or aftermarket parts within the engine system, then there may be redundant or an odd number of fittings. Count fittings around the engine first... leaving out the IACV and throttle body. If you have an EVEN number... as in two or four... you are in good shape. If you have four, connect the loop as I outlined above and then connect the last two with a single hose. Remember that you you have to loop ACROSS the thermostat: Fluid must travel from behind the thermostat to the cylinder head. This means that you cannot loop the water pipe to the thermostat housing... or the intake manifold to the upper radiator hose inlet. If you only have three fittings around the engine... you will either need to "T" a hose between two of the fittings or plug/remove one of the fittings to essentially create an even number of fittings. In your case, if you have an odd number of fittings, I would recommend removing the upper radiator hose fitting and cut off the 5/16" barb, thread the hole 1/8" NPT, and install a pipe plug in the freshly threaded hole (with teflon tape of course).

Your loop connects from the water pipe under the intake manifold back to the passenger end of the intake manifold... and then you have the EXTRA fitting up front on the upper radiator hose port. Plug it as I suggested above.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Disclosure: I was trying to post this reply while you were including the pics that you stated were already posted, so some of this will not apply to you and is redundant/un-necessary information. I chose to leave it in the event that others look at this thread in the future as it is all good reference material. For your specific situation, focus on the portion in bold at the bottom.

Where does the other end of that hose go ??? Your first pic shows 1" of hose still clamped to the upper radiator hose fitting/neck. There is no "better" picture in your last post. Connecting it to the coolant overflow bottle is not a fix... it will be filled in two minutes. You have to look at this cooling circuit as a simple loop... you will start either under the intake manifold at the water pipe OR at the thermostat housing; go to the IACV; out of the IACV and to the T/B; out of the T/B and back to the cylinder head. When I say cylinder head, the fitting there could be in the intake manifold or in the upper radiator hose neck as you have pictured above. So, if you have all original matching engine parts (cylinder head, intake manifold, throttle body, thermostat housing and water pipe), then this will be an easy exercise. IF you have anything mix-matched or aftermarket parts within the engine system, then there may be redundant or an odd number of fittings. Count fittings around the engine first... leaving out the IACV and throttle body. If you have an EVEN number... as in two or four... you are in good shape. If you have four, connect the loop as I outlined above and then connect the last two with a single hose. Remember that you you have to loop ACROSS the thermostat: Fluid must travel from behind the thermostat to the cylinder head. This means that you cannot loop the water pipe to the thermostat housing... or the intake manifold to the upper radiator hose inlet. If you only have three fittings around the engine... you will either need to "T" a hose between two of the fittings or plug/remove one of the fittings to essentially create an even number of fittings. In your case, if you have an odd number of fittings, I would recommend removing the upper radiator hose fitting and cut off the 5/16" barb, thread the hole 1/8" NPT, and install a pipe plug in the freshly threaded hole (with teflon tape of course).

Your loop connects from the water pipe under the intake manifold back to the passenger end of the intake manifold... and then you have the EXTRA fitting up front on the upper radiator hose port. Plug it as I suggested above.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am going to have to T it off. I got a T adapter at Autozone. But I'm deciding what hose to run it to and T it off. I'm guessing one of the IACV hoses since they are the same size?
Old 09-12-2017, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"T" into the hose between the IACV and the intake manifold... the new one two pics up.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having the same problem, my thread is one below yours actually. I have a B18a1 in my CRX and I have everything hooked up but this one line and I can't figure out where it's supposed to go. I think I have everywhere else hooked up but it looks like it goes somewhere under the intake manifold and I don't see any place for it. Does anyone have a clear pic of where it goes?

https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/b18a1-does-upper-coolant-radiator-hose-line-go-heater-core-inlet-hose-3306783/

My thread for reference
Old 09-18-2017, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I purchased some T fittings from Vatozone and I used the middle sized one. One fitting too big. One fitting a little too small. Middle was perfect. And I ordered 3 hose clips and number 2 IACV hose referring to the pic above from hondapartsunlimited. I ran the T fitting in the IACV hose running to the intake manifold. Here's some pics of the fittings I bought and how I ran the hose and fitting.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That looks right. Well done.