Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Clutch or Slave Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch or Slave Problem?

Alright last week I noticed my pedal feel got drastically different, the first half of it was dead then there wasn't any real action till the pedal was to the floor plus the friction point was either on/off really narrow.

A few days after driving like that I go out in the morning to start my car and it leaps forward (i had my e-brake off) but the leaping forward was enough to make me just not want to trouble shoot it.

I go on vacation and let it set for a week and I come back today and notice the clutch resivoir is completely empty, I filled it up with fluid and tried pumping the pedal back up at this point I could start it up without it jumping and reverse and go forward in the driveway although it's real reluctant to let me it'll still doing it without grinding.

Either way I have a new exedy clutch/flywheel ready to go in but my question is it perhaps not even a clutch problem, I have no idea.. I'm looking for some guidance, on things I could check out myself before it goes to the shop.

Thanks,
steve
Old 12-30-2006, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Clutch or Slave Problem? (itrSteez)

check to see where the fluid leaked from, that much fluid should be visable. Check inside the car above the clutch pedal, you will see a rubber seal where the valve goes into the master cylinder, if the fluid leak is there it is your clutch master cylinder.

If there is no leak there then check the slave cylinder, my bet is that the line to the slave cylinder is loose and gravity did the work for you. Did you remove the whole slave cylinder or just the line when you put in the clutch?

Also check the bleeder screw at the slave cylinder
Old 12-30-2006, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch or Slave Problem? (MotorMouth)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MotorMouth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check to see where the fluid leaked from, that much fluid should be visable. Check inside the car above the clutch pedal, you will see a rubber seal where the valve goes into the master cylinder, if the fluid leak is there it is your clutch master cylinder.

If there is no leak there then check the slave cylinder, my bet is that the line to the slave cylinder is loose and gravity did the work for you. Did you remove the whole slave cylinder or just the line when you put in the clutch?

Also check the bleeder screw at the slave cylinder </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks, i'm gonna throw the r up on stands tomrrow and try bleeeding it out.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn, I feel like the biggest idiot.. I just went and opened up the bleeder screw and blasted the clutch a few times till it was straight fluid and put it back on and it's fine now... I'm still a bit puzzled how it could have started to screw up in the first place but I'm not going to question the answers
Old 12-31-2006, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (itrSteez)

so was your bleeder screw loose then?
Old 12-31-2006, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no, i'm not really sure how i got a leak or air in the line i never notice any puddles or anything of the sort, expletive it, works now.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Clutch or Slave Problem? (itrSteez)

would you happen to know were the clutch resivoir is located on a 91 dx by chance? Im sticking in 5th gear and hoping that its just low or somthing.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch or Slave Problem? (vinzanity)

your fluid is probably running down the inside of the firewall. just feel around where the rod comes through the firewall and see if its wet. as far as a 91 dx having a reservoir it does not have one, its a cable tranny.