Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

CKF Sensor (Crankshaft Speed Fluctuation)! HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CKF Sensor (Crankshaft Speed Fluctuation)! HELP?

i had just changed the timing belt on my sisters Integra LS everything went good and the car ran great. The one thing i forgot to do was torque down the crankshaft pulley bolt. A thousand miles later the bolt came loose and the pulley got all grinded up by the crangshaft thanks god the belt didnt slip off. So i get a hold of another pulley and bolt and tighten it down to its recomended specs. i start up the car and now the car is throwing a C.E.L. code 54 which is: CKF Sensor (Crankshaft Speed Fluctuation) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor according to c-speedracing.com. I have no idea where this sensor is or how it could be damaged during the process of the pulley coming off. If anyone can help it would be appreciated. thanks
-Brandon
Old 04-14-2004, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: CKF Sensor (Crankshaft Speed Fluctuation)! HELP? (igotsol!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igotsol! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had just changed the timing belt on my sisters Integra LS everything went good and the car ran great. The one thing i forgot to do was torque down the crankshaft pulley bolt. A thousand miles later the bolt came loose and the pulley got all grinded up by the crangshaft thanks god the belt didnt slip off. So i get a hold of another pulley and bolt and tighten it down to its recomended specs. i start up the car and now the car is throwing a C.E.L. code 54 which is: CKF Sensor (Crankshaft Speed Fluctuation) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor according to c-speedracing.com. I have no idea where this sensor is or how it could be damaged during the process of the pulley coming off. If anyone can help it would be appreciated. thanks
-Brandon</TD></TR></TABLE>

The CKF is directly located behind the crank pully on the oil pump itself. Here's an image of it:

just take a look & see if it was unplugged or if the wires were cut somehow.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: CKF Sensor (Katman)

i know whats missing now its that gear looking metal piece that the CKF gets its reading from. Must have fallen off when the pulley came off. Thanks Katman! ill check on hondaautomotiveparts.com to see how much one of those would cost.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: CKF Sensor (igotsol!)

word.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CKF Sensor (Crankshaft Speed Fluctuation)! HELP?

I have a obdo b18 in a 99 civic hatch and also have this code but Im not sure if this motor has the fluctuation sensor, is there a way to trick it or get a ecu tha does not look for it ? Please help guys
Old 06-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CKF Sensor (Crankshaft Speed Fluctuation)! HELP?

Only OBD2 Hondas have the Crank Fluctuation Sensor. This issue also arises when swapping in OBD1 blocks and running OBD2 ECUs (as there is no sensor on the OBD1 block).

I read a hack that fixes it. I'll try and dig up the link, but the basic idea was to use the Crank Position Sensor to report both position and fluctuation (aka if they read the same there is no fluctuation).

Hope this helps. I'll try and find the link.

... I had it bookmarked. It's from ff-squad.com.

www.ff-squad.com/technet/ckftrick.htm
Old 06-17-2019, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Katman, could you show me the other end of the CKV sensor? Is it near the alternator? Is it outside the lower cam cover, able to being sheared by a broken alternator belt?
Old 06-17-2019, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CKF Sensor (igotsol!)

By the way, it's on a 2000 Acura Integra LS. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanrocker
By the way, it's on a 2000 Acura Integra LS. Thanks.
Not what is pictured in Katman's photos... but similar.

Originally Posted by Deanrocker
Hey Katman, could you show me the other end of the CKV sensor? Is it near the alternator? Is it outside the lower cam cover, able to being sheared by a broken alternator belt?
The CKF sensor is inside of the lower timing cover and cannot be struck by the alternator belt directly, however, the wiring does in fact come out of the lower timing cover towards the back (and the alternator) and a shredded or broken alternator belt could in fact cut/chaff/damage the CKF wiring... so you must carefully examine that pair of wires (white/red and blue/red) to make sure that they are in undamaged condition.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

CKF sensor wires appear intact. Furthermore, I've read if there is spark -- which there is -- the ckf sensor is functionning properly. Don't know if that's necessarily true or not, though. One other update is that when I go to crank engine, the RPM needle does not budge. Could that mean anything?