Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

CEL problem. Help plz

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL problem. Help plz

Here's my problem. Went to do some datalogging last night so that i could make adjustments to fuel with my VAFC. Added fuel from 6000 to 8000 to keep the car at high 13's AFR. Once I accelerated CEL came on and car went into limp mode. I turned it off and started back up fine with no CEL or problems. I turned the VAFC correction mode off and the car runs fine under acceleration. Only it runs too lean 15's AFR. I need to check my fuel pump also because I have noticed that it will start to whine louder than normal and I mean much louder, but if I turn the car off and start it back up the pump goes back to its normal humming. I tried checking the code but it flashed so many at once I couldnt tell when one code ended and the other began. I have reset my ECU but havent thrown a CEL again so I could check it.
I dont know if it is my fuel pump or the VAFC that is causing this problem. I suspect the pump because of the noise but I also suspect the VAFC because when no corrections in fuel are made the car doesnt throw a code, then again this could be pointed back to the pump.
I am just wondering if anyone has experienced this before?

Thx
Old 12-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Codes are long = 10 and short = 1 then a 2 second gap then the next code

So short, two seconds, long long short short short would be 1 and 23. There is a 3-4 seconds gap before it starts over again.

You might also want to change your fuel filter if you have done so in 15k miles. A cloged fuel filter can cause fuel pump problems. If you catch it soon enough you won't have to replace your fuel pump, however if you don't the pump may fail and you will need to replace both.