Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Which cars came with a chambered or valve muffler? Looking to retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which cars came with a chambered or valve muffler? Looking to retrofit?

im looking for cars that come with a muffler similar to type-r or dynomax vt
either with a valve that opens up or similar to type-r or corvette or bmw
Old 01-14-2018, 10:53 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Which cars came with a chambered or valve muffler? Looking to retrofit?

If you're looking for used units and not new, best to head to the classified section. You'll never find a boneyard with a Type R that has it's muffler still attached.
Otherwise, you can check the Boneyards or muffler shops that had old chambered valve mufflers, like the ones you stated.

Very few (if any) other makes ever had those specific designs. All other aftermarket designs and uses utilized aftermarket parts such as E-Cutouts, etc.

That's pretty much it. You'll need to do some research and check your local resources if you want to find USED OEM parts like that.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which cars came with a chambered or valve muffler? Looking to retrofit?

no i just wanted to know what cars came with them if anyone knows besides what i listed

im trying to find a solution for the s2000 lol
more i read more it seems that even though its been around for years nothing is documented as the b series was.
theres countless threads discussing everything but theres no dyno comparisons no dyno sheets nothing of use just peoples opinions and sometimes personal experiences about stock vs upgraded part

i loved b series that it was so documented i could actually search and find what i need lol
plus photobucket broke the internet forums now all those old threads are useless without dyno pictures.

from what i found so far theres really no aftermarket exhaust for s2k that doesnt drone. it either makes zero power or drones
so i thought maybe instead of stock twin loop mufflers i could compliment the aftermarket big tube header with a 70-76mm piping and use something like subaru mufflers or muffler from another car that has a valve. to avoid drone but still have a free flowing muffler when i step on it..
im planning to get a tuned length intake similar to what i had on b series thad made power. 70mm throttle body and maybe cams.( also tough to find cams that actually work and not damage the motor it seems like)

ive been searching and so far i find that bmw uses it on alot of models. its almost standard but they are side inlet for the most part or too long.
im checking subaru mufflers to see what they are made of
Old 01-20-2018, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by fuzzysig
no i just wanted to know what cars came with them if anyone knows besides what i listed

im trying to find a solution for the s2000 lol
more i read more it seems that even though its been around for years nothing is documented as the b series was.
theres countless threads discussing everything but theres no dyno comparisons no dyno sheets nothing of use just peoples opinions and sometimes personal experiences about stock vs upgraded part

i loved b series that it was so documented i could actually search and find what i need lol
plus photobucket broke the internet forums now all those old threads are useless without dyno pictures.

from what i found so far theres really no aftermarket exhaust for s2k that doesnt drone. it either makes zero power or drones
so i thought maybe instead of stock twin loop mufflers i could compliment the aftermarket big tube header with a 70-76mm piping and use something like subaru mufflers or muffler from another car that has a valve. to avoid drone but still have a free flowing muffler when i step on it..
im planning to get a tuned length intake similar to what i had on b series thad made power. 70mm throttle body and maybe cams.( also tough to find cams that actually work and not damage the motor it seems like)

ive been searching and so far i find that bmw uses it on alot of models. its almost standard but they are side inlet for the most part or too long.
im checking subaru mufflers to see what they are made of
They are like the civics. No adjustable valves or extra chambering.

I guess in the S2000s I've ran, they never had a, "drone" to them on any aftermarket exhaust unless they were in 6th gear with very more engine load at lower RPM, but that was basically because the engine is "lugging".

Any other time, I just had quality exhaust systems on these cars. They cost a bit more, But the major Japanese aftermarket companies did sound testing for those things to confirm with California noise emissions before they went into production.

Once I saw that, every exhaust I've owned since had the major components to eliminate what you're trying to avoid. It wasn't dependant on the muffler alone as you're suggesting...

Just putting that out there so you aren't spinning your wheels trying to "create" an exhaust with a muffler from some other make/model.

Now, having said all that, I do agree that many forums have just become depots for BS questions and cries for help, with fewer and fewer documented solutions to problems. They'll even answer they're own questions, just say "solved it, thanks" and never explain in any detail how they solved it for others to learn from.

You won't see many dyno comparisons anymore unless they are a shop because people are only trying to tune once; get it done, and get out of there, spending as little labour time in the dyno as possible.

On S2000s specifically, you'll see very little dyno or mapping work in their NA form: it's because these engines are already maxed out from the factory, and little is gained from comparing exhaust mufflers and systems. The larger the diameter piping, the more there is peak power, that's it.
" drone" is relatively subjective, so, it's hard to show that on a forum. I would stick to the decibel-regulated professional companies here, and learn their cues. Multiple parts of an exhaust make an exhaust smooth and professional sounding.

Remember:
B-series had a 6 years head start on sharing information, on a more affordable platform than the S2000. So you're going to see more information available in that regard.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

makes sense
thanks
i will probably try to attend a local meet and just try to get a ride from someone and see how it is with certain exhaust
Old 01-21-2018, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by fuzzysig
makes sense
thanks
i will probably try to attend a local meet and just try to get a ride from someone and see how it is with certain exhaust
Yep. That's pretty much all you can do. I've been fortunate that I trust certain company's designs and products and have never been disappointed.. I stock to those and move forward not testing to reinvent the wheel for the sake of doing it..