Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

car stalls while pumping gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moderator: please lock / delete!!

JRSC ITR with S200 hondata and JR/Walbro 255 fuel pump. car drives AWESOME! no hesitation, hiccupping, or ANYTHING, except when i am at the gas station. if the car is running, and i have the pump pumping gas, the engine stutters and the revs drop and almost dies/dies. as soon as my hand comes off of the pump lever, the car idles as stock. bad fuel pump installation? suggestions? thx

Modified by vactor at 10:48 PM 2/22/2004
Old 02-21-2004, 07:49 AM

Default Re: car stalls while pumping gas (vactor)

How about you turn the car off while at the gas station like directed. Shocking you would actually post some of this nature. Make it a simple fix buddy think before you drink unleaded gas next time. You get the big
Old 02-21-2004, 11:58 AM
thad

seriously man, shut the car off, they don't put the signs the for fun. i don't know of anything like this, but i would not be supprised if there was a switch or something activated by pumping gas that stalls your car. (to keep you alive)
Old 02-21-2004, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car stalls while pumping gas (2civichatchbs)

yeah buddy you should leave your car runnin so all that hot exhaust fumes can meet the gas fumes and cause an explosion, i work at a gas station.

u ever see on your gas cap it says turn till clicks 3 times or engine light may come on, maybe the ecu knows the car is off or soemthing like that, or maybe it has something to do with the pressure build up in the tank and with the cap off theres no pressure build up
Old 02-21-2004, 02:20 PM

I believe the gas tank is pressurized, and that is what the sensor is picking up on.

Turn your car off when you pump gas, it's just a good idea. Don't make Natural Selection's work any easier.

Cheers,
Sean
Old 02-21-2004, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: car stalls while pumping gas (civickiller)

wow you leave it runnig. thats really dumb
Old 02-21-2004, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car stalls while pumping gas (hybridvteceg)

I believe the gas tank is pressurized, and that is what the sensor is picking up on.
Turn your car off when you pump gas, it's just a good idea. Don't make Natural Selection's work any easier.

Cheers,
Sean

Old 02-21-2004, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2civichatchbs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> How about you turn the car off while at the gas station like directed. Shocking you would actually post some of this nature. Make it a simple fix buddy think before you drink unleaded gas next time. You get the big </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why? That was a pretty lude comment to make? Have you actually SEEN somehting like this actually HAPPEN? Havent you seen the last episode of "MYTHBUSTERS?" They tested this "MYTH" with various conditions, and found that its very unlikely that you'll actually create a condition where you'll blow yourself to smitherines...

Anyway, I'd say it's either a faulty install (But you would see these symptoms more often) or it has to do with the fuel system being presurized, and opening the filler cap causes a problem with proper fuel delivery...

Anyway, that's all I have to say about that.

dp.-
Old 02-21-2004, 09:27 PM

Why does my car veer to the left when I push it down a hill?

The reason nobody will give you a straight answer is most people don't do what you're having problems with.

Try the easy fix though. Shut it off at the pump.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: car stalls while pumping gas (madslackin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RHD_BB4T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why? That was a pretty lude comment to make? Have you actually SEEN somehting like this actually HAPPEN? Havent you seen the last episode of "MYTHBUSTERS?" They tested this "MYTH" with various conditions, and found that its very unlikely that you'll actually create a condition where you'll blow yourself to smitherines...

Anyway, I'd say it's either a faulty install (But you would see these symptoms more often) or it has to do with the fuel system being presurized, and opening the filler cap causes a problem with proper fuel delivery...

Anyway, that's all I have to say about that.

dp.-</TD></TR></TABLE>
actually they only tested sparks(which made big explosions), so you are wrong.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2civichatchbs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> How about you turn the car off while at the gas station like directed. Shocking you would actually post some of this nature. Make it a simple fix buddy think before you drink unleaded gas next time. You get the big </TD></TR></TABLE> whatthe hell are you talking about?? having the car running ahs NOTHING to do with getting a shock,. how about you go back and finish high school before posting dumbshit like this. thanks for nothing.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car stalls while pumping gas (thad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">seriously man, shut the car off, they don't put the signs the for fun. i don't know of anything like this, but i would not be supprised if there was a switch or something activated by pumping gas that stalls your car. (to keep you alive)</TD></TR></TABLE> omfg are people really this stupid??
Old 02-22-2004, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car stalls while pumping gas (hybridvteceg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridvteceg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow you leave it runnig. thats really dumb </TD></TR></TABLE> please tell my why this is dumb??!!
Old 02-22-2004, 11:58 AM

It's dumb because it makes you do this...

"if the car is running, and i have the pump pumping gas, the engine stutters and the revs drop and almost dies/dies. as soon as my hand comes off of the pump lever, the car idles as stock."
Old 02-22-2004, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vactor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> whatthe hell are you talking about?? having the car running ahs NOTHING to do with getting a shock,. how about you go back and finish high school before posting dumbshit like this. thanks for nothing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He was trying to say its shocking you would ask this, nothing to do with an actually shock from voltage. Anyways turn your car off when your pumping gas, thats the reason its doing that.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:29 PM

Fellas, basing your decision on an episode of Mythbusters is downright retarded.

Between 1992 - 2002 there were approximately 150 cases of gas station fires caused by static electricity. It happens.

http://www.pei.org/news/static.htm

That's why there is a sticker on every single pump in this country that tells you to not leave you engine running.

Cheers,
Sean
Old 02-22-2004, 02:08 PM

i cant beleive someone would post something like this... BTW you aren't supposed to use a cell phone at a gas station either, that can cause an explosion also... just some food for thought...
Old 02-22-2004, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: car stalls while pumping gas (crXBoy69)

OMG people, are you all retarded?? a running car has nothing to do with an nicrease in static discharge. a cell phone has nothing to do with an increase in likelyhood of explosion while pumping gas unless you have a nylon jacket and you are so fat that moving your arm in the jacket causes a static discharge from you to something else. NOT the phone!!

i have always left my car runnign while pumping gas, all my hondas, the chevy's and the mazda and everything. this is the first time that the action of pumping the cas ahs an effect on the car idling. so i was wondering if anyone had an idea as to what could cause this. instead i get the most ignorant responses possible. what the HELL happened to H-T?? t used to be one never had to worry about these kinds of dumb responses. it used to be that one got a reasonably knowledgable response, no response, or somone who had a similar problem. now we get this crap. argh.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, i think the point was, that while it may not be possible to spark an explosion with a cell phone, it is still possible that a spark, ANY spark from the car can start a fire. say you have a short somewhere, and the vibration of the engine causes the wires to spark. im pretty sure you would not be a happy camper running around with your arm on fire thinking "hey, maybe they werent joking when they said turn off your ignition!"

just my $.02, and im sorry, i dont have an answer to your question about the idle changing.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sobe_Death)

What a dumb ***!! Do u think that the millions of gas stations around this country are all wrong when they put stickers on every single pump in the station saying that keeping the car running is dangerous! U are stupid and stubborn. And as for the technical part of it, if u keep the car running with low fuel and pump gas into the tank the new gas can wash away the gas from the inner baffles for just a few seconds and that's enough to send air into the fuel lines and kill your car. Also static electricity makes a spark and thats enough to ignite the gas. There are video's on the net of people set on fire from just that.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (leadfoot78)

for the love of GOD please lock this topic. i should never have posted a question asking for tech help. please please please please lock this thread!!
Old 02-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vactor)

No, u should have warned every body how insanely stupid your question is!
Old 02-23-2004, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (leadfoot78)

to answer your question take a large cake pan and fill it with water then turn the sink on and watch what happens to the water. the dissplacement is causing air to get into you fuel line. to make a long story short turn off the engine and you want have any air in fuel lines. and yes you can die, i work for the army as an electrical / avionics / armament repairer on the oh-58 D (R) helicopter know as the Kiowa warrior and I have seen numerous fires started with JP8 (you can put fires out with this ****) and just the static from the rotor blades ignited this ****. so be safe and save your fuel pumps life before it burns out.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Moderator: please lock / delete!! (vactor)

one word....... 2 sylabols......

DUMBASS!
Old 02-23-2004, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Moderator: please lock / delete!! (TruNinja619)

and we have a new candidate for the Darwin Awards

people are so ignorant, i had to force some lady to cut her car off while pumping gas one day
you also arent supposed to smoke while pumping gas, and in some states must be older than 16 to pump gas. along with you arent supposed to get back in the car while the gas pumps. there are a **** load of rules that are posted at every gas station in america, reading these might be helpful.

they should probably make this a part of getting a drivers license,

Quick Reply: car stalls while pumping gas