Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Bleeding ABS system. Please help ('92 Accord)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2001, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bleeding ABS system. Please help ('92 Accord)

A search has come up with nothing.
Please forgive my ignorance. I'm a shade-tree mechanic but still have much to learn. I'd like to bleed my ABS system.
The Helms manual is bewildering. I've quoted the instructions below. Special tools they list are "ALB checker" 07HAJ-SG0010A and "bleeder T-wrench" 07HAA-SG00100. I surely doubt (hope?) I don't need this electronic ALB checker thing. Could someone please tell me how to bleed my ABS system with good old-fashioned tools? Much thanks for help.

Here are the Helms manual instructions for ABS system bleeding:

1) Place the vehicle on level ground blah, blah, blah...
2) Disconnect the 6-P inspection (orange) connector from the cross-member under the passenger's seat and connect the inspection connector to the ALB checker.
3) Fill the modulator reservoir to the MAX level and install the reservoir cap.
4) Start the engine and allow it to idle for a few minutes, then stop it. Check the fluid level in the modulator reservoir and refill to the MAX level if necessary.
5) Bleed high-pressure fluid from the maintenance bleeder with the special tool.
6) Refill the modulator reservoir to the MAX level and install the reservoir cap.
7) Turn the Mode Selector switch of the checker to 2.
8) While depressing the brake pedal firmly, push the Start Test switch to operate the modulator. There should be kickback on the brake pedal. If not, repeat steps 5 to 8. Note: Continue to depress the brake pedal firmly when operating the checker.
9) Turn the Mode Selector switch to 3, 4 and 5. Perform step 8 for each of the test mode positions.
10) Refill the modulator reservoir to the MAX level and install the reservoir cap.
Old 10-06-2001, 07:09 PM
New User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Bleeding ABS system. Please help (4doorH22)

Ok.. maybe I can shed some light here..

First off, scrap the ALB Checker and the Bleed wrench..
What you will have to do is locate the ABS pump relay located in the fuse block underneath the hood.. you will pull out that 4 pin relay and look at where the COPPER colored terminals connect into the fuse block.... If you place a jumper wire in the same slots where those copper pins would fit, ignition in the "on" position.. the ABS pump will initiate.. remember Copper colored pins, not the silver ones..

You need to locate the bleeder screw on the ABS modulator and make sure the ABS fluid resovoir is full.. jump the terminals in the fuse block to start the ABS pump, run the pump for only a matter of seconds.. four or five seconds is appropriate.. you will then loosen the bleeder nut on the ABS modulator.. Do this very slow, ABS systems are high pressure and brake fluid will shoot out and make a mess.. now repeat the above..

Keep repeating the process while keeping an eye on the fluid level in the resovoir.. This process does not usually take the first couple times and may require that you do it a half dozen times or more.. keep with it and you will get all the air out of the system.. you will know if you were successful when the ABS pump does not over-run and no ABS codes exsist... good luck..
Old 10-06-2001, 07:09 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,
I was having a problem with my ABS that weekend we talked at Summit Point the other weekend. i discovered a low fluid level in my ABS resivoir and filled it back up. There is a bleeder on my resevior that fixed my problem. It looks excatly like the brake bleeder valve
Old 10-07-2001, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bleeding ABS system. Please help (BreakStuff)

Wow thanks BreakStuff, you're amazing.
Two more quick questions if I may;
1) Does the brake pedal need to be depressed when I activate the ABS pump?
2) Where the heck does the fluid bleed from? The bleed screw does not seem to have an outlet on it that I could attach a tube to like a brake caliper bleed screw does. Does the fluid just seep out and spill down through the engine compartment onto the floor?
Again, profuse thanks for the help.

Morgan, did you bleed your ABS system or just top it off?
Old 10-07-2001, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you don't need the pedal depressed- the brake fluid will get all over- that is what the "special tool" helps with. When you are running the pump listen for it to start bogging- that is when you remove the jumper. The fluid comes out of the top of the bleeder bolt. It will be a square bolt on your 92 accord.
Old 10-07-2001, 11:42 AM
New User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Bleeding ABS system. Please help (fixhondas)

On a 92 Accord, the ABS Modualtor and the ABS pump are 2 seperate components unlike the cars made today.. your pump will be located on the lower front passenger side of the engine compartment, just follow those bright orange connectors..
Old 10-07-2001, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bleeding ABS system. Please help (BreakStuff)

Great. Thank you very much, sirs. You are a tremendous asset to the board.