Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Bad Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Vibrations

Bad Vibrations... are coming from the front of my car, but only once in a while.

The first time this happened was about a month ago. I figured maybe the wheel was loose, checked the lugs. All OK,... off on my way, and the vibration was gone.

About 2 weeks later the same thing happened on the same road, in an around the same place. But this wasn't normal crappy road vibs, this was like bad alignment type of shaking. So I slowed... didn't go away, so I stopped, then up on my way again... No more vibration.

My suspicion was tie-rod end, but I figured I'd get some other ideas. I asked around. Wheel weight got chucked, brakes, steering rack, tie rods, wheel bearing, worn shocks. The last one seemed the most interesting. The theory went something like this; at certain "frequencies" bad/worn shocks might not be able to dampen the vibrations cause from slightly bumpy roads. Does this sound like a crock? Or, is their some merrit to this?

2 days ago, it happened again, but this time it was more stubborn, but after stopping 3 times, it finally subsided.

So I figured I'll have someone look at it: Honda diagnosis = no problems, but they criticized the Eibach Pro-Kit Springs being too low... OK, whatever.

So I asked them to double check everything. Any bushings looking worn? Steering Rack?

Called back, nothing. I asked them about replacing the original shocks on my '90 CRX, the said it'd be a good start.

What do you think? Have you ever had an experience like this?

I know what brakes feel like when the rotors are warped... it feels kind of like that, but the vibration doesn't show itself after heavy braking. I still haven't figured exactly what causes it, because it has shown itself on more then one road.

Thanks for any input... sorry for the "book"

Old 03-05-2003, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Bad Vibrations (emwavey)

yeah vibrations... over [bumps??]
Old 03-19-2003, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Bad Vibrations (emwavey)

Checked a few more things last night...
Replaced the wheels and tires in the front with my usual autocross set up, and took it for a spin.
When I returned I noticed the passenger side wheel was cool, but the driver's side was way hot.
I figured it might be brake related. As in the Caliper might be leaving too much pressure on the pad.

Thoughts... anyone?