Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

BAD LUCK.. Engine dies when ever it wants to .. HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAD LUCK.. Engine dies when ever it wants to .. HELP!!

Lately I've been having bad luck after installing my s300 unit..

Since i've had it hooked up.. My car has randomly died about 10 times when i'm coming to a stop.. The engine would just shut off and sometimes would not start up till after a few minutes and numerous attempts.. i'm scared to drive it on the major streets due to the heavy traffic and having it dye in the middle of the road. My latest experience happened today coming home for lunch.. I just pulled off to a small side street and suddenly the car just shut off and I had to coast to a stop.. I turned the ignition off and on again and it started right up.. drove about 1000 feet and it died again at the next stop sign.. Again, i got it to start and eventually made it home safely.. Its been parked since and I haven't touched the car at all..

There's no pattern or symptoms evident when its going to die, it just dies.. I've never had this happen to me when I had my stage 2b, or s200b..

I dont want to rule out the s300 unit, but this problem did arise when i installed the s300..

I also opened up my main relay and resoldered all the joints, thinking it was the main relay.. But, the problem didn't go away, the engine still dies when ever it wants to.. So I went and pulled a newer main relay from a 99 teg and plugged it in.. It seemed to work a little better, but again the engine still dies whenever it wants..

I also noticed now that sometimes while idling, the engine will want to die, but suddenly corrects it self and stays running, but eventually it will crap out all together..

Additionally, sometimes the sensor display on the Smanager goes crazy and the numbers become very erratice. For example, the RPM's will display values in the 10's of thousands and the fuel and ignition tables will jump from the low maps to the high maps.. I have to unplug the USB cable, plug it back in, and hit the datalog button to get it to behave like normal again..

I should also mention that I made a simple flowchart for you guys to help troubleshoot this problem.. When the car dies and I turn the igntion off and then back on again, I'll either get one of the situations below:

SITUATION 1. ----> FUEL PUMP PRIMES & CEL goes off ----> Engine will start and run until it decides to die again.

SITUATION 2 -----> FUEL PUMP PRIMES & CEL stays on ----> Engine will not start.

Situation 2 occurs more often and I have to make several attempts and wait a few minutes before Situation 1 occurs.

Hopefully you guys can help troubleshoot this stupid problem and help me out..

thanks..
Old 01-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: BAD LUCK.. Engine dies when ever it wants to .. HELP!! (92HB_HB)

ANYBODY??