Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

B-SERIES T-BODY????

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B-SERIES T-BODY????

i was wondering what t-body is the best fit for a 94 z6 motor. when i say fit i mean, biggest bore size and still be a direct bolt on to the mani. also, my civic has a fitv under the t-body, so i assume that it will have to be compatible with that too.
any suggestions???
Old 10-15-2003, 07:22 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: B-SERIES T-BODY???? (SLOAZZ94)

H22 throttle body is purty big. It'll bolt up .
Old 10-15-2003, 07:32 AM

Default Re: B-SERIES T-BODY???? (Archidictus)

What about all the sensors and the fitv????
Old 10-15-2003, 08:55 AM

Default Re: B-SERIES T-BODY???? (SLOAZZ94)

could someone tell me the size of the factory b16 throttle body please?
Old 10-15-2003, 08:57 AM
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: B-SERIES T-BODY???? (spaceman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spaceman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could someone tell me the size of the factory b16 throttle body please?</TD></TR></TABLE>

1st gen= 58mm
2nd gen= 60mm
Old 10-15-2003, 09:03 AM

Default Re: B-SERIES T-BODY???? (mmuller)

(thanks mmuller)..if you wanted to upgrade your throttle body on a b16/pr3/obd0/all motor...what would be some good choices and what would be the performance differences?
Old 10-15-2003, 02:19 PM

Sorry dont mean to steal ur thread but would the h22 TB be a direct bolt on to a b16?
Old 10-15-2003, 02:29 PM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: B-SERIES T-BODY???? (WuRKD b16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WuRKD b16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry dont mean to steal ur thread but would the h22 TB be a direct bolt on to a b16?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sho would.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:43 PM

spaceman, you could use a stock ITR TB if you wanted to stick with honda stuff, other then that i would not advise any larger then 65mm
Old 10-15-2003, 02:57 PM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: B-SERIES T-BODY???? (temp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by temp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">spaceman, you could use a stock ITR TB if you wanted to stick with honda stuff, other then that i would not advise any larger then 65mm</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why is that? Can you get too much throttle response or flow too many CFMs in a car that'll see heavy driving duty? Get the biggest throttle body you can, man. Throttle response is a nice thing to have, and most stock cars suck at it.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:01 PM

becuase with too large of a throttle body you will hurt flow velocity resulting in a loss of power
Old 10-16-2003, 01:23 PM

so i could buy a used h22 TB and bolt it on my b16 with no modifications what so ever? If so i think im gonna do that.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:12 PM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by temp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">becuase with too large of a throttle body you will hurt flow velocity resulting in a loss of power</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not if it's properly port-matched to the intake manifold.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not if it's properly port-matched to the intake manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

not completely true, a properly port-matched IM/TB setup will just make sure the throttle body is flowing at its optimal rate, too large and you will get turbulence in the IM and like i said, it will hurt the flow velocity due to that
Old 10-16-2003, 02:47 PM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by temp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

not completely true, a properly port-matched IM/TB setup will just make sure the throttle body is flowing at its optimal rate, too large and you will get turbulence in the IM and like i said, it will hurt the flow velocity due to that</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you've got a huge throttle body and you port match it (on a slant) into the intake manifold, the venturi effect of the air volume being compressed as it enters the manifold shouldn't have any but a positive effect on performance. I understand what you're saying, and it could very well be true if you got a throttle body big enough, but for Honda applications, you really can't go wrong with something upwards of 70-80mm.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:51 PM

ok so lets say you get a 80mm TB, now your first issue will be that there is not enough material to remove from the intake port for you to properly port match it, next with that size TB unless you are making an excess of 400hp you will lose TONS of power on the bottom end, next issue is the fact that you are trying to cram 10lbs of **** into a 5lbs bag, the plenum size is not large enough to compensate for all that extra air in there and the runner size is definately not large enough and this is where you will get your turbulence, because there will be more air then the runners can actually fit inside them
Old 10-16-2003, 02:55 PM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by temp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so lets say you get a 80mm TB, now your first issue will be that there is not enough material to remove from the intake port for you to properly port match it, next with that size TB unless you are making an excess of 400hp you will lose TONS of power on the bottom end, next issue is the fact that you are trying to cram 10lbs of **** into a 5lbs bag, the plenum size is not large enough to compensate for all that extra air in there and the runner size is definately not large enough and this is where you will get your turbulence, because there will be more air then the runners can actually fit inside them</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was assuming that, in order to port match an 80mm TB to a Honda IM, you would build a spacer specifically to slope the incoming air so that you wouldn't get that turbulance. What you're saying is absolutely correct for the examples you've raised, and I can't disagree that you raise a good point, but there are ways to make it work...albeit they are expensive and beyond the reach of most "tuners".
Old 10-16-2003, 03:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was assuming that, in order to port match an 80mm TB to a Honda IM, you would build a spacer specifically to slope the incoming air so that you wouldn't get that turbulance. What you're saying is absolutely correct for the examples you've raised, and I can't disagree that you raise a good point, but there are ways to make it work...albeit they are expensive and beyond the reach of most "tuners".</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, you would have to have an IM like the venom manifold which has proven to make no low end power at all....it actually robs the power from your low end
Old 10-16-2003, 04:13 PM

Default Re: B-SERIES T-BODY????

for a car that is all motor..too big can hurt performance i would think when your talkin about air velocity..i was wondering what the optimal size would be for all motor..i was thinkin type-r should be good,since honda most likely did some research on it..what do you peeps think?
Old 10-16-2003, 09:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spaceman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for a car that is all motor..too big can hurt performance i would think when your talkin about air velocity..i was wondering what the optimal size would be for all motor..i was thinkin type-r should be good,since honda most likely did some research on it..what do you peeps think?</TD></TR></TABLE>

that depends, some ITR TB's are 62mm and some are 67mm
Old 10-16-2003, 09:35 PM

thanks temp
Old 10-16-2003, 09:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spaceman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks temp</TD></TR></TABLE>

no problem
Old 10-16-2003, 09:41 PM
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in what years are the 67mm tb's found?never seen one
Old 10-16-2003, 10:38 PM
HT Black Ops

Why is that? Can you get too much throttle response or flow too many CFMs in a car that'll see heavy driving duty? Get the biggest throttle body you can, man. Throttle response is a nice thing to have, and most stock cars suck at it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bigger isn't always better, even if you port match the intake manifold and the head of the b16, if not going to flow enough air to get the intake air speeds up to a level of speed you need for making horse power..... The Volume of air is important but the speed at witch if flows is just as important... Lots of Air flowing slowly does an engine not as much good as half the air flowing @ twice the speed..........It's just like an exhaust system, to big and the air flow slowly(commonly called lack of back pressure, it not pressure its just slow exhaust flow cause it's has so much room to expand)
Old 10-17-2003, 04:49 AM

Default Re: B-SERIES T-BODY???? (92 civic VX B18c)

i was jus wondering if anyone has anything to add to my ????? is the h22 a direct bolt on and what about all the sensors and the fitv, because if i am correct the obd2 cars dont have a fitv. (94 ex w/z6 motor)

Quick Reply: B-SERIES T-BODY????