Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Assistance Needed: Multiple problems for a 1st time Honda Owner. BEWARE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 12:45 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Assistance Needed: Multiple problems for a 1st time Honda Owner. BEWARE!

OK I MAY JUST BE STUPID AND THIS COULD BE PROBLEMS ON ANY CAR BUT HERE GOES NOTHING...
MY HOOD LATCH BROKE FROM THE HANDLE AND I PROCEEDED TO ATTEMPT TO GET THE HOOD OPEN BY MANUALLY USING VARIOUS TOOLS TO TRY TO GET THE LATCH TO OPEN. WHEN I FINALLY GOT IT OPEN I FOLLOWED THE CABLE OUT AND PLACED A STRING ABOVE THE DRIVER SIDE FRONT WHEEL FOR EASIER ACCESS UNTIL I GOT A CABLE FROM THE JUNK YARD OR DEALERSHIP SINCE AUTO ZONE AND PARTS PLACES LIKE THAT ARE TO GAY TO NOT SELL THEM, BUT ANY WHO... UPON BANGING OUT THE LATCH EVEN AND THE FRAM TO THE FRONT OF THE HOOD SO THAT EVERYTHING CLOSED RIGHT AND TIGHT AND EVEN STEVEN I NOTICED THAT MY TURNING SIGNAL PLUG HAD BROKE AND THE CORD AS JUST HANGING THERE SO I LEFT IT BE NOT THINKING OF IT. WENT TO START THE CAR AND ALL WAS GREAT. NO PROBLEMS AND NO SOUNDS. WHEN I BACKED IT OUT THE GARAGE I NOTICED THAT WHEN I TURNED ON MY HEADLIGHTS MY STEREO SHUT DOWN, MY BATTERY LIGHT, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND ABS LIGHT WAS ALL LITE UP WHERE AS IT WAS JUST A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT BEFORE I HAMMERED AWAY AT THE HOOD. THEN THE CAR DIED. HOOKED IT UP TO A BATTERY CHARGER FOR A FEW HOURS AND IT STARTED UP AS NORMAL. MOMENTS LATER IT DID THE SAME THING. THEN CHARGED THE BATTERY OVER NIGHT WITH THE BATTERY CHARGER AND AGAIN STARTED UP AS NORMAL, CHECK THE POST WITH A METER AND IT WAS ONLY GIVING ABOUT 12.46 VOLTS WHILE RUNNING. SAME AS WHAT IT WAS GIVING WHILE IT WAS TURNED OFF BUT BATTERY WAS CHARGED. ALSO THE DASH CLUSTER WILL STOP WORKING THE NEEDLES WONT MOVE AND ALL LIGHTS GO DIM. LASTYL I NOTICED WHEN EVERYTHING STARTS TO DIE SO DOED SECOND GEAR AND SO FORTH. I WENT TO TAKE OFF AND IT WOULD JUST REV UP AND NOT SWITCH MANUALLY INTO SECOND GEAR AND I WOULD HAVE TO MANNUALLY DO IT MYSELF VIA GEAR SHIFT IN 2, THEN 3, THEN DRIVE.
I WANT TO SAY THAT MAYBE ITS MY ALTERNATOR OR SOMEONE SAID SOMETHING TO ME ABOUT A GROUND. BUT HOW CAN ALL THESE THINGS BE DOING DIFFERENT THINGS JUST BY TRYING TO PRY A HOOD OPEN AND BANGING A FRAME A LITTLE.
LASTLY I NOTICED THAT MY O2 SENSOR WAS NOT PLUGGED IN UNDER MY CAR SO I WENT TO PLUG IT IN AND IT RUNS LIKE CRAP WHEN I DO GET IT STARTED SO SHOULD I UNPLUG IT AGAIN UNTIL I GET ANOTHER ONE. ITS THE DOWNSTREAM ONE SO SOMEONE ONCE SAID TO M E ITS NOT THAT IMPORTANT VS THE UPSTREAM ONE.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME.... IVE CHECK THE LITTLE FUSES AND THEY ALL SEEM TO BE FINE UNDER THE HOOD AND UNDER THE STEERING COLOUM. I EVEN TRIED TO ATTEMPT TO DO THE DASH CLUSTER RESET THING THAT I FOUND ON YOUTUBE AND I MAY NOT HAVE THE RIGHT HAND EYE CORDINATION TO DO SO OR MAYBE IM JUST PLAIN NOT DOING IT RIGHT.

ANY SUGGESTIONS OR STEP BY STEPS THAT I SHOULD KNOW TO TRY AND DIAGNOSE THIS HONDA IVE GOT. IM NEW TO THE HONDA WORLD. IF I DONT GET HELP ILL PROBABLY BE VISITING MY NEAREST LAKE RIVER OR POND AND GIVING THE WATER CREATURES A NEW BRIGHT RED TOY TO SWIM THROUGH. MY PATIENCE HAS HAD IT.

THANKS
SONJA THOMAS
Old 03-13-2017, 10:21 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default re: Assistance Needed: Multiple problems for a 1st time Honda Owner. BEWARE!

I didn't realize there is a dash reset on a 1953 Split Window VW Beetle.

You know, without disclosure of the car information (year, make, model, trim and any modifications) it's really difficult to provide any detailed information that could be useful.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Assistance Needed: Multiple problems for a 1st time Honda Owner. BEWARE!

Would need VIN
Old 03-18-2017, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just have to say this....... writing in ALL CAPS is scientifically PROVEN to reduce legibility. The whole point of lowercase letters is that they are visually pleasing to be read for longer than one word at a time, while CAPITAL LETTERS are used to emphasize KEY PARTS of a sentence. So please, for the love of god, and MY EYES, just type in lowercase. Thank you.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:03 AM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by dazasero
I just have to say this....... writing in ALL CAPS is scientifically PROVEN to reduce legibility. The whole point of lowercase letters is that they are visually pleasing to be read for longer than one word at a time, while CAPITAL LETTERS are used to emphasize KEY PARTS of a sentence. So please, for the love of god, and MY EYES, just type in lowercase. Thank you.
This maybe absolutely correct in every way.

However, some people's systems (usually a jobs workstation) may be hard set to all caps and the user doesn't have a choice. Putting it out there as an FYI.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah, I hadn't thought of that.. my apologies if this is the case!

It just hurt my brain to try to read through the original post.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:33 AM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by dazasero
Ah, I hadn't thought of that.. my apologies if this is the case!

It just hurt my brain to try to read through the original post.
No worries. Still doesn't hurt to ask.

And you made a very strong case for the request to boot.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

request to boot?
Old 03-19-2017, 11:45 AM
Hysterically Calm

adverb: to boot
as well; in addition.
"images that are precise, revealing, and often beautiful to boot"

synonyms: as well, also, too, besides, in the bargain, in addition, additionally, on top, what's more, moreover, furthermore, likewise; informal: and all
"he's not only intelligent, he's handsome to boot"
Old 03-19-2017, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha ok.. I see now. My english is slipping.

Sorry OP for blowing up this thread with a bunch of tangential chaff.. I hope someone can read through your paragraph and provide some actual insight.
And thanks TomCat39 for humoring me.