Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Assistance Needed:Engine hesitating and giving off a fuel smell

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assistance Needed:Engine hesitating and giving off a fuel smell

Hi I have a Honda Accord 96' 4 cylinder I'm trying to find out what is the issue with it I used an engine light check code reader and it told me the the most probable cause of the issue was a Fuel Injector Regulator but, that didn't fix the issue it actually made worse because for the first week of the install it worked a little better but after that the issue got a little worse.

so the engine is currently hesitating and giving off a fuel smell through the exhaust and it smells inside the car as well.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Assistance Needed:Engine hesitating and giving off a fuel smell

Originally Posted by GuillermoT
Hi I have a Honda Accord 96' 4 cylinder I'm trying to find out what is the issue with it I used an engine light check code reader and it told me the the most probable cause of the issue was a Fuel Injector Regulator but, that didn't fix the issue it actually made worse because for the first week of the install it worked a little better but after that the issue got a little worse.

so the engine is currently hesitating and giving off a fuel smell through the exhaust and it smells inside the car as well.
After checking your Fuel Injector Regulator, did you take a look at the injectors themselves? I would rule those out before anything else. There could be a clog, (doubt it) or an O-ring that went bad causing a small leak. Ive seen this happen in the past. Also, maybe look up the exact code your OBD II sensor read and check forums for what people have done to fix the issue. Hope you figure it out! Let us know.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:16 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like an ignition issue, some cylinder(s) are not firing so it's leaving unspent fuel. I would start with a tuneup...cap, rotor, plugs. Test the wires for ohms. The longer ones should have more resistance than the shorter ones.

Post the exact codes it's throwing.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
Sounds like an ignition issue, some cylinder(s) are not firing so it's leaving unspent fuel. I would start with a tuneup...cap, rotor, plugs. Test the wires for ohms. The longer ones should have more resistance than the shorter ones.

Post the exact codes it's throwing.
P0108 is says that the MAP sensor probably needs to be replace. And I just did my smog test and it fail, and was classified as a Gross Polluter.
this are the maintenance I've done to it.

Replaced Fuel Pressure Regulator, Distributor + Rotor, and Spark plug wires
Cleaned EGR valve and passages
Changed the Engine oil plus filter
Used Fuel Injector cleaner for gas tank
Old 04-16-2017, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EM2FORU2C
After checking your Fuel Injector Regulator, did you take a look at the injectors themselves? I would rule those out before anything else. There could be a clog, (doubt it) or an O-ring that went bad causing a small leak. Ive seen this happen in the past. Also, maybe look up the exact code your OBD II sensor read and check forums for what people have done to fix the issue. Hope you figure it out! Let us know.
what is the O-ring? And P0108 is my only code now suggesting to replace my MAP sensor.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not common for the map sensor to go bad. It might be possible the oring for the map sensor where it seals to the throttle body is bad.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
It's not common for the map sensor to go bad. It might be possible the oring for the map sensor where it seals to the throttle body is bad.
I changed the MAP sensor and did multiple tests and erased the codes but the P0108 MAP sensor code never went away.